or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-7520
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony MDR-7520 - Page 77

post #1141 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreyka View Post

Burn in doesn't exist with headphones and if there are any changes they are very small. How you hear them on first impressions is usually how they sound before you have gotten used to the sound signature.

 

I have two pairs of MDR-7520 that were purchased a couple of weeks apart from each other. I liked the 7520 so much that I bought a backup pair when it looked like they were being discontinued without a replacement being introduced. (turns out they only discontinued them in Europe)

When they were new I tested them both to check that they were working correctly, and they sounded almost identical.
The first pair has been used daily for about 18 months now, for hours at a time. The other has been sitting unused in a box.
I've pulled them out of the box a couple of times to do comparisons, and there is a clear difference between them now.

Bass is tighter (more detailed, with more impact) and treble is smoother.
Before this, I would probably have agreed with the opinion that burn-in doesn't exist - I certainly don't think it does for solid-state components or things like cables.
But with dynamic drivers, it does seem to make a difference. People have also said that wear on the pads can change the frequency response, so that may also affect the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreyka View Post

Sony MDR-7520 is now on the front page of Head-Fi as a gift guide feature. It has been discontinued in the EU but has it been discontinued in the US?


 

I think they were removed from sale in Europe due to laws on how loud headphones can go. With the low distortion, high power handling, and high sensitivity of the 7520 you can turn them up to very high volumes which could potentially be damaging to your hearing.
post #1142 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreyka View Post
 


Released in 2012. They have been around but it's only until recently has this thread become popular on Head-Fi and I doubt they have ever sold very well. There is very few reviews, no frequency response graphs except that one which I think has dodgy treble measurements and they are pretty much an unknown. With the LCP drivers and magnesium alloy housing I can imagine they were expensive to produce and Sony is going to discontinue them in the US soon. Hopefully, Tyll can get a pair, measure and review them within this century. They may get a boost in popularity as a result.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bixby View Post
 

where are you getting your information?

 

I'd also like to know...

post #1143 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazex View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreyka View Post
 


Released in 2012. They have been around but it's only until recently has this thread become popular on Head-Fi and I doubt they have ever sold very well. There is very few reviews, no frequency response graphs except that one which I think has dodgy treble measurements and they are pretty much an unknown. With the LCP drivers and magnesium alloy housing I can imagine they were expensive to produce and Sony is going to discontinue them in the US soon. Hopefully, Tyll can get a pair, measure and review them within this century. They may get a boost in popularity as a result.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bixby View Post
 

where are you getting your information?

 

I'd also like to know...

 

I have expanded the bolded text in the above quote by Dreyka. That might be what he mean... he is imagining, that's all.

post #1144 of 2340
Quote: jackson1 (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson1 View Post
 

 

I have expanded the bolded text in the above quote by Dreyka. That might be what he mean... he is imagining, that's all.


It is unusual to have them discontinued in Europe but not the USA.

post #1145 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreyka View Post
 
Quote: jackson1 (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson1 View Post
 

 

I have expanded the bolded text in the above quote by Dreyka. That might be what he mean... he is imagining, that's all.


It is unusual to have them discontinued in Europe but not the USA.

 

If the regulations are the same, then yes.

I was only trying to help with my above post. I suggested that you are imagining things, but we don't actually know until you confirm it.

post #1146 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreyka View Post
 


It is unusual to have them discontinued in Europe but not the USA.


I'll respectfully disagree.

 

There are any number of reasons why this may have occurred,

from differing regulations and laws, to business decisions,

and otherwise. 

post #1147 of 2340

This may be a useful reference. It came for the PDF I linked earlier and amusingly the 7520 has been poorly photoshopped on to their heads.

 

post #1148 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioSound View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreyka View Post

Burn in doesn't exist with headphones and if there are any changes they are very small. How you hear them on first impressions is usually how they sound before you have gotten used to the sound signature.

 

I have two pairs of MDR-7520 that were purchased a couple of weeks apart from each other. I liked the 7520 so much that I bought a backup pair when it looked like they were being discontinued without a replacement being introduced. (turns out they only discontinued them in Europe)

When they were new I tested them both to check that they were working correctly, and they sounded almost identical.
The first pair has been used daily for about 18 months now, for hours at a time. The other has been sitting unused in a box.
I've pulled them out of the box a couple of times to do comparisons, and there is a clear difference between them now.

Bass is tighter (more detailed, with more impact) and treble is smoother.
Before this, I would probably have agreed with the opinion that burn-in doesn't exist - I certainly don't think it does for solid-state components or things like cables.
But with dynamic drivers, it does seem to make a difference. People have also said that wear on the pads can change the frequency response, so that may also affect the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreyka View Post

Sony MDR-7520 is now on the front page of Head-Fi as a gift guide feature. It has been discontinued in the EU but has it been discontinued in the US?


 

I think they were removed from sale in Europe due to laws on how loud headphones can go. With the low distortion, high power handling, and high sensitivity of the 7520 you can turn them up to very high volumes which could potentially be damaging to your hearing.
I too proved to myself that burn in very much exists years ago with three es7 and three esw9..
post #1149 of 2340

Burn in is a huge factor for headphones in my experience, night and day really and my ears aren't even very good.  I do not hear burn in for cables or solid state but i do for tubes as well.

post #1150 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyd View Post
 

Burn in is a huge factor for headphones in my experience, night and day really and my ears aren't even very good.  I do not hear burn in for cables or solid state but i do for tubes as well.

 

I've found that it depends on the make & model of headphones.

For some, burn-in makes a very slight difference (if any);

for others the difference is greater. 

 

In every case, though, the essential sound signature remains

unchanged.

post #1151 of 2340

Deleted


Edited by AUserName501 - 3/11/14 at 4:56am
post #1152 of 2340

The 7520s should arrive tomorrow. I'll give them a listen and see what I think of them.

 

I've put up a pre-emptive classified in the chance that I do wish to sell them. Price is what I paid for them.

post #1153 of 2340
A pre-emptive ad, nice!

I was thinking of making an ad to do a trade of my coiled 7520 cord for a shorter straight one from the Z1000 (it comes with 2, I think). I really like the 7520s, but I'm not a fan of coils. 4 feet of straight cable is good for me.
post #1154 of 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darner View Post

A pre-emptive ad, nice!

I was thinking of making an ad to do a trade of my coiled 7520 cord for a shorter straight one from the Z1000 (it comes with 2, I think). I really like the 7520s, but I'm not a fan of coils. 4 feet of straight cable is good for me.

Yeah I threw out my coiled cable and got a cheap 4' straight cable off amazon but I wish it had the nice screw in connector on it since sometimes it gets pulled from the headphone side by my jacket.

post #1155 of 2340

You threw out the original coiled cable including the connectors? :blink:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-7520