just joined this great community, even if I've been lurking for a long time.
I'm a STAX 507 user, and now I jumped also in the HiFiman HE-500 bandwagon (I've not dismissed the STAX of course, just added the ortho).
I usually listen to small group acoustic jazz, guitar recitals and some classical music (mostly Wagner and Mahler), but sometimes I like also to have fun with some non-hard rock (i.e. Pink Floyd) and some prog.
I love the sound of the STAX, very clear and detailed, with tons of transparency and micro-dynamics, but I'm fully aware of the limits in the lower freqs and the headstage.
I also love the sound of the HE-500, even if right now I'm amplifying them with a very limited amplification (a FiiO X3). I think that the HE-500 loose something in terms of transparency but gain a lot in term of headstage and bass impact wrt the 507. All in all, even with this limited amplification, I like the HE-500 a little bit more than the STAX for more "energetic" music, while with "critical" recordings (e.g. piano solo, guitar recital) i still prefer the 507.
I've listened a couple of times the HE-500 with the Auralic Taurus MKII, and I have found the sound absolutely incredible, almost perfect. But I 'm in no way an expert, rather I have very limited experience with the ortho world, so maybe there is something better.
Now, for all of you experts here, what would be the best amp for the HE-500, given that:
- I like a detailed, transparent and very dynamic sound
- I like a neutral, very tonally correct reproduction
- I absolutely don't like harsh or fatiguing highs
A couple more hints:
- I live in EU, and in my country importing an amp from outside EU is VERY costly (up to +50% on the price of the amp+shipment)
- I would like the amp to be able to drive also a possible, future, HE-6
My current setup:
- sources : Marantz SA11-S1 , Auralic Vega , M2Tech Young
- pre : Spectral 30SL G2 , Aesthetix Calypso
- pwr : Pass X150.5
- ldspk : Amphion Xenon II