Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › AudioPhiles Guide to a Low Cost of Living
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AudioPhiles Guide to a Low Cost of Living - Page 3

post #31 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post
 

 

Lesson 1 - move to Germany and enjoy the cheap vintage gear at the regular flea markets. 

Ok... there are probably better ways than that, but it's helped me get a bigger perspective for a tiny fraction of the cost of modern gear - if there's anything I don't like I just sell it on. Sometimes I make a small loss, but right now it's my cheapest hobby.

 

Oh brillant, that's how you end up with those Vintage gears q.q 

post #32 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

Oh brillant, that's how you end up with those Vintage gears q.q 

Yup - picked up two uncommon vintage sennheisers today. Both in perfect condition. One boxed with full documentation. For less than a meal at a nice restaurant.

post #33 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post
 

Yup - picked up two uncommon vintage sennheisers today. Both in perfect condition. One boxed with full documentation. For less than a meal at a nice restaurant.

 

*face palm* although define nice resturant, here in the states my favorite Classical French 4 Star, has an average cost of like $35 an entree so like $100 for 2 ppl 

post #34 of 51

Ok then, let's say slightly above fast food.

Frankfurt isn't exactly brimming with classy restaurants. 

post #35 of 51

Ramen noodles all day err day :p

post #36 of 51

For a bit of time and moderately small startup cost, a garden can lower your grocery bill significantly in the summer.

post #37 of 51

Low cost of living to me means.. not buying audio gear at full MSRP from their stores. Because I can't live without audio gear (no cost of living)

 

I don't know if this will be considered a contribution or more detriment to your wallet. BUT I myself have saved tons of money with my gear doing the some of the following.

 

Sign up for EVERYTHING.

Newsletters, e-mail subscriptions, notifications, reward cards, memberships, surveys, sweepstakes (as long as they are all free to do)

 

I get countless $5-$100 off coupons from all around the universe and have gotten a stack of free IEMs thanks to rebates (newegg mainly) and won a few from just following a twitter or liking a facebook page.

 

www.slickdeals.net has been one of my biggest winners. Set your deal notifications to what you may be looking for and they'll notify you immediately of any deals.

 

For instance.. I have Koss as a deal tag.. and I snagged all these for dirt cheap.

Koss KSC75 $2

Koss KEB30 $5
Koss IL200 $5
Koss Porta Pros $12
 

www.midnightbox.com (grabbed UE600's for $35)

www.buydig.com (grabbed FiiO E10 and E06 for $55 total!)
www.shorelinemusic.com/closeouts/ (cans and great dacs occasionally pop up!)
www.dealzon.com/electronics/headphones (occasionally some good stuff, got my free rebate IEMs here)
lastcall.dailysteals.com/ ($10 M6 and R1's from Meelec)

 

And check out the outlet/clearance/sales sections.. like at lendmeurears.com
 

There's a lot more.. but I don't have all my links in front of me (saved at my work/laptop)

 

Essentially I'm looking to choke my wallet.. but more like a light choke. Something you would do to your over achieving son for getting a hot girl pregnant at 18. You want to choke him for making you a grandpa.. but at the same time.. it's a hot chick.

 

Good luck!

post #38 of 51

Sell headphone, go to restaurant. :D

post #39 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textfeud View Post
 

Sell headphone, go to restaurant. :D

 

But after selling the headphones there's no longer a reason to live, or eat.

This logic is flawed. :rolleyes:

post #40 of 51

I didn't finish my story yet!

 

Sell headphone, go to restaurant. Meet hot rich girl who's dead owns a Hifistore. Marry her. Unlimited gear. :D

post #41 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textfeud View Post

I didn't finish my story yet!

Sell headphone, go to restaurant. Meet hot rich girl who's dead owns a Hifistore. Marry her. Unlimited gear. biggrin.gif
I don't want no headphones from no dead rich girl... And marrying her is a little to Necro for me thanks. eek.gif
post #42 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textfeud View Post

I didn't finish my story yet!

Sell headphone, go to restaurant. Meet hot rich girl who's dead owns a Hifistore. Marry her. Unlimited gear. biggrin.gif
I don't want no headphones from no dead rich girl... And marrying her is a little to Necro for me thanks. eek.gif

 

lol

pretty sure it's meant to say "whose dad" instead of "girl who's dead", which means "girl who is dead":D


Edited by GREQ - 10/4/13 at 12:26am
post #43 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by RochRx7 View Post
 

Low cost of living to me means.. not buying audio gear at full MSRP from their stores. Because I can't live without audio gear (no cost of living)

 

I don't know if this will be considered a contribution or more detriment to your wallet. BUT I myself have saved tons of money with my gear doing the some of the following.

 

Sign up for EVERYTHING.

Newsletters, e-mail subscriptions, notifications, reward cards, memberships, surveys, sweepstakes (as long as they are all free to do)

 

I get countless $5-$100 off coupons from all around the universe and have gotten a stack of free IEMs thanks to rebates (newegg mainly) and won a few from just following a twitter or liking a facebook page.

 

www.slickdeals.net has been one of my biggest winners. Set your deal notifications to what you may be looking for and they'll notify you immediately of any deals.

 

For instance.. I have Koss as a deal tag.. and I snagged all these for dirt cheap.

Koss KSC75 $2

Koss KEB30 $5
Koss IL200 $5
Koss Porta Pros $12
 

www.midnightbox.com (grabbed UE600's for $35)

www.buydig.com (grabbed FiiO E10 and E06 for $55 total!)
www.shorelinemusic.com/closeouts/ (cans and great dacs occasionally pop up!)
www.dealzon.com/electronics/headphones (occasionally some good stuff, got my free rebate IEMs here)
lastcall.dailysteals.com/ ($10 M6 and R1's from Meelec)

 

And check out the outlet/clearance/sales sections.. like at lendmeurears.com
 

There's a lot more.. but I don't have all my links in front of me (saved at my work/laptop)

 

Essentially I'm looking to choke my wallet.. but more like a light choke. Something you would do to your over achieving son for getting a hot girl pregnant at 18. You want to choke him for making you a grandpa.. but at the same time.. it's a hot chick.

 

Good luck!

You sure know your stuff.

post #44 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0str3ss View Post

You sure know your stuff.

for real. Although the best deals r here ay head fi!
post #45 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post


I don't want no headphones from no dead rich girl... And marrying her is a little to Necro for me thanks. eek.gif

 

Funny - used to speak like this when I was a kid.

 

Dead is slang for 'a large amount / huge/massively'

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › AudioPhiles Guide to a Low Cost of Living