Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › ios7, iPhone and Apple CCK
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ios7, iPhone and Apple CCK - Page 19

post #271 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by f198 View Post

I have I read in some thread (I do not remember where exactly) that people tried and it does NOT work.
Thanks!
post #272 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMix View Post
 

^thnx for the suggestions!  That's a nifty usb hub and seems like it will def work. Unfortunately even tho its a small unit I think it's more than I want to be carrying around when I'm not using a laptop. I tried lowering the iphone's volume but realized the line out feature bypasses the iphone's volume control anyway :/  I will try to find a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to test the headphone out to amp, but i dont have high hopes. I'm using DT880 250ohm and the lightning-out cable to RSA sounds marginally better than using the headphone jack directly. For comparison, both of the following setups sounded significantly better (as in, closer to foobar to usb out):

 

ipod touch 2nd gen (better than 4S) --> fiio L3 --> RSA predator

iphone 4S --> fiio L3 --> RSA predator

 

pretty annoyed at myself right now for "upgrading" to the 5S primarily for the 64gb storage :(

My bad on the volume, forgot it was line out.  Interesting, for years I also preferred the Touch 2nd gen to all other ipods until I got the touch 5th gen.  Midrange much more up front and with my cans, I like.  I also had Beyers at one point, the 880 600s and they did not sound too great out of the ipod or amps connected to it.  Not bad but not great, that is why I went a different route.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Sup View Post

Can anyone test if Lightning to micro usb adapter works instead of CCK?

Not sure if there is an Apple lightning to micro usb.  And not sure if anyone else makes it.  I think all of these adapters have to have the little handshaking chip for lightning in it.

post #273 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by f198 View Post

I have I read in some thread (I do not remember where exactly) that people tried and it does NOT work.

That's correct, it doesn't work.
post #274 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Sup View Post

Can anyone test if Lightning to micro usb adapter works instead of CCK?

 

As I posted earlier on in this thread (see here), the Lightning to micro USB adapter does not contain the circuitry to complete the USB host interface. Only the CCK has the required circuitry.

 

Dale

post #275 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by bixby View Post

 

Not sure if there is an Apple lightning to micro usb.  And not sure if anyone else makes it.  I think all of these adapters have to have the little handshaking chip for lightning in it.

 

Here's the Apple produced Lightning to micro USB adapter - allows you to use a standard micro USB cable to charge your Lightning connector iDevices:

 

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MD820ZM/A/lightning-to-micro-usb-adapter?fnode=3a

 

Dale

post #276 of 440
Thanks for the info
post #277 of 440

Sorry if this is redundant but can I use the chain as follows - iPad or iPhone 4 ---->CCK ---->NuForce uDac2 ---->into my vintage Kenwood integrated amp---------> phones?

 

The question I guess is in the bolded choice of DAC I have on hand. Currently using this setup with my netbook but would love to use my iPad instead for music (netbook is for Pandora/Spotify only).

 

TIA for any feedback gents. 

post #278 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
 

Sorry if this is redundant but can I use the chain as follows - iPad or iPhone 4 ---->CCK ---->NuForce uDac2 ---->into my vintage Kenwood integrated amp---------> phones?

 

The question I guess is in the bolded choice of DAC I have on hand. Currently using this setup with my netbook but would love to use my iPad instead for music (netbook is for Pandora/Spotify only).

 

TIA for any feedback gents. 

 

There's no reason why this shouldn't work, but you might have to insert a USB hub in-between the CCK and your DAC. Some DACs require the USB hub to stop the iDevice from issuing an error complaining that the DAC is drawing too much power from the CCK. Sometimes you can get away with a passive USB hub, but other times you'll need a powered hub. And in rarer circumstances, you won't need the USB hub at all.

 

Dale

post #279 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentXXL View Post

There's no reason why this shouldn't work, but you might have to insert a USB hub in-between the CCK and your DAC. Some DACs require the USB hub to stop the iDevice from issuing an error complaining that the DAC is drawing too much power from the CCK. Sometimes you can get away with a passive USB hub, but other times you'll need a powered hub. And in rarer circumstances, you won't need the USB hub at all.

Dale

Thank you.
post #280 of 440

Can we perhaps share a list of external DACs that *do* work without requiring a USB hub in between?

post #281 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkalia View Post

Can we perhaps share a list of external DACs that *do* work without requiring a USB hub in between?

One is the Fiio E7, so long as you turn off the "USB charge" function and just run on battery power.
post #282 of 440
Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
 

Can we perhaps share a list of external DACs that *do* work without requiring a USB hub in between?

 

I believe the JDS Labs C5D doesn't require a hub (for Android or iOS).  The Light Harmonic "Geek Out" should work with a CCK, I think.

post #283 of 440

I stumbled across this thread by accident. didn't know there was a way to get dacs work with the iphone! I'd like to try it with my iPhone 4, a Fiio e07k and my B&W P7. Do I need any additional cable? From what I have read there is an USB to micro USB included with the Fiio, so I wouldn't need anything else. Is this right?

post #284 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappy View Post
 

I stumbled across this thread by accident. didn't know there was a way to get dacs work with the iphone! I'd like to try it with my iPhone 4, a Fiio e07k and my B&W P7. Do I need any additional cable? From what I have read there is an USB to micro USB included with the Fiio, so I wouldn't need anything else. Is this right?

 

As far as cables, you will need iphone 4 > 30pin to 3.5mm > Fiio (analog in) OR iphone 4 > apple 30pin camera connect kit > usb to usb mini > Fiio (digital in). Im not sure if the second configuration will work or even be beneficial because as far as I know, 30pin outputs are all analog. I also don't know if you will get the "this usb device draws too much power" error in which case you'd have to add a powered usb hub into the chain after the CCK, which will make the setup become non-portable. The first setup is your typical iphone to portable amp setup and utilizes the iphone's internal dac (which cannot be bypassed via 30 pin) and the Fiio's amp section...but im sure u knew that already :)

 

edit: crossed out for the sake of more accurate information. for some reason i had been under the impression that 30pin out always meant analog but this is not the case


Edited by MeowMix - 11/28/13 at 9:20pm
post #285 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMix View Post

As far as cables, you will need iphone 4 > 30pin to 3.5mm > Fiio (analog in) OR iphone 4 > apple 30pin camera connect kit > usb to usb mini > Fiio (digital in). Im not sure if the second configuration will work or even be beneficial because as far as I know, 30pin outputs are all analog. I also don't know if you will get the "this usb device draws too much power" error in which case you'd have to add a powered usb hub into the chain after the CCK, which will make the setup become non-portable. The first setup is your typical iphone to portable amp setup and utilizes the iphone's internal dac (which cannot be bypassed via 30 pin) and the Fiio's amp section...but im sure u knew that already smily_headphones1.gif

The Fiio should work OK without a powered hub so long as you turn off the USB charge function while connected to the iPad or iPhone. Otherwise you will get the too much power reading. You must have iOS 7 for it to work with the iPhone.
Edited by teb1013 - 11/28/13 at 4:40pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › ios7, iPhone and Apple CCK