Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › ios7, iPhone and Apple CCK
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ios7, iPhone and Apple CCK - Page 17

post #241 of 412

aha, that does help, thanks

post #242 of 412

This is confirmed working:

 

IP4 > Generic 30pin extension cable > CCK > USB powered HUB > PCM2704 DAC

 

The item to note is the 30pin generic extension cable.  It doesn't have any identification circuitry so its a direct pass through unlike the Apple LOD which does not pass through USB audio.

 

Basically with a 30pin extension cable you can relocate your 'bulk' from your phone.

post #243 of 412
Apparently I'm the last to hear about ios7 giving iPhones the ability to give digital out via the CCK. I so stoked!

Hooked up my lightning to USB cck from my iPad air to ibasso db2/pb2 and it worked as expected. On a whim I hooked up the iPhone 5s and wham...sound!! So pleased to be able to get the phone as source when I need small and portable rather than just the iPad.

Thanks Apple for finally getting this right!
post #244 of 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesure View Post

Apparently I'm the last to hear about ios7 giving iPhones the ability to give digital out via the CCK. I so stoked!

Hooked up my lightning to USB cck from my iPad air to ibasso db2/pb2 and it worked as expected. On a whim I hooked up the iPhone 5s and wham...sound!! So pleased to be able to get the phone as source when I need small and portable rather than just the iPad.

Thanks Apple for finally getting this right!

Great isn't it. Of course the recent posts about 3d party cables and connectors being blacked has me worried that a new 'upgrade' to iOS 7 may block the iPhone again. I hope that is just paranoia on my part.
post #245 of 412
They just want to make sure you spend the $20 on their cable.
post #246 of 412
So I just now plugged my IP5s into my cars Alpine cde-hd148bt head unit which has USB input and it predates the IP5s and iOS7. Audio works over USB and it's obviously digital. And I'm sure it will work with a 30pin cable. I'm NOT using a CCK.

How is this working? What kind of handshaking is going on? Why do USB DACs need the CCK?

Edit: whatever protocol it's using is obviously digital (lighting connector had no analog pins, also iphone volume is disabled) and it also supports remote track forward/backward, play/pause and track info. Those are all great things to have for any DAC. I'm not sure if USB audio 1 or 2 supports those things like track control and metadata.
Edited by shaocaholica - 11/10/13 at 6:47pm
post #247 of 412

How come the CCK works with iphoe 5 but it does not work with the latest generation of ipod touch? Does not make sense at all. 

 

Just charged my ipod close to 100% and it is working with onkyo app, strange.


Edited by audionewbi - 11/10/13 at 11:51pm
post #248 of 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaocaholica View Post

So I just now plugged my IP5s into my cars Alpine cde-hd148bt head unit which has USB input and it predates the IP5s and iOS7. Audio works over USB and it's obviously digital. And I'm sure it will work with a 30pin cable. I'm NOT using a CCK.

How is this working? What kind of handshaking is going on? Why do USB DACs need the CCK?

Edit: whatever protocol it's using is obviously digital (lighting connector had no analog pins, also iphone volume is disabled) and it also supports remote track forward/backward, play/pause and track info. Those are all great things to have for any DAC. I'm not sure if USB audio 1 or 2 supports those things like track control and metadata.

This is weird.  According to everything that's gone before, it shouldn't work.  After reading this I tried my up-to-date Touch 5 with two DACs that had worked with the CCK.  Without the CCK, going Touch>Lighning USB cable>USB female/micro USB male adapter>DAC didn't work with either DAC.  I have no idea why your setup works...

post #249 of 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbes View Post
 

This is weird.  According to everything that's gone before, it shouldn't work.  After reading this I tried my up-to-date Touch 5 with two DACs that had worked with the CCK.  Without the CCK, going Touch>Lighning USB cable>USB female/micro USB male adapter>DAC didn't work with either DAC.  I have no idea why your setup works...

Well the Alpine head unit isn't a true 'desktop' USB DAC I think.  There might be some proprietary Apple protocols at play but all my searching hasn't turned up whats really going on.

post #250 of 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanDavid010 View Post

Well, guys, I got my iBasso D12 today, and it works great!  Granted, you have to run it through the CCK and a hub to avoid the "too much power" buzzkill, but I think I've found a way around all that cumbersome stuff.  I managed to find a tiny aluminum project box on Amazon, and I crammed a CCK, tiny unpowered Belkin hub, and 3 feet of mini-USB cable in there.  I drilled some holes (and stuck some grommets in) and voilá!  Now it's all contained in a tiny package without any errant cables.  As for the D12, it's a perfectly simple affair.  Plug it in and go.  No weird volume problems like the Fiio E17, and it sounds terrific with my Mad dogs.






Here's a look inside the box.  I wanted to find a shorter cable, but I also needed it to be a left-hand right-angle mini-USB cable.  Not the easiest thing in the world to get ahold of, and 3' seemed to be the shortest anyone makes.  It looks a mess, but it works great.



Try pchcables.com for shorter lengths
post #251 of 412

I never was able to get my iP4s to work with this USB Hub until the new update.  http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=90

Works great with my ELE-DAC.  Seriously thinking about the MicroStreamer.    

post #252 of 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaocaholica View Post
 

Well the Alpine head unit isn't a true 'desktop' USB DAC I think.  There might be some proprietary Apple protocols at play but all my searching hasn't turned up whats really going on.

That's all I can think of that would explain it - that it was already iCompatible, like the Solo/M8/etc.  Otherwise a mystery.

 

Keep us posted.

post #253 of 412

So, I asked John at JDS Labs about the "status" of UAC1 (USB Audio Class 1) capability in iOS 7 and whether or not it was likely or possible that Apple would disable that feature in the future, and this was his reply:

 

Quote:
While anything is possible from Apple, it would make little sense to disable UAC1 now that it’s been enabled and manufactures like us have leveraged its functionality. Consumers have been pushing Apple and Google for UAC1 support for a few years. We trust that Apple will keep UAC1 in future iOS releases. 

 

As for fixing the Lightning to female full size USB-->male full size USB--> mini / micro USB, I found this company that sells DIY USB adaptors:

 

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1389

 

I'm pretty sure that if you buy the genuine Apple Lightning USB connection cable and then cut off the USB end and solder on your own connector, everything should be fine.  John also said that JDS Labs will be working to get such a cable made for the C5D apm/dac combo, which was unfortunately pulled from production until a problem is worked out.

post #254 of 412

I just updated my iPhone 5S to 7.0.4 and can report that the phone is still passing the digital signal through the lighning/CCK connection. My set-up is iPhone 5S (running Onkyo's HF Player App)>Lightning/CCK>USBa to USBmini adapter>HRT MicroSreamer(Firmware 1V3)>Westone AC2s. I'm able to playback 44, 48 and 96 kHz sampling rates, 88 kHz plays with clicking but is a problem with the MicroStreamer and not the phone. Velcro holds the MicroStreamer and CCK in place.

post #255 of 412
The iPhone/CCK connection still works with iOS 7.04 as well. It sounds absurd, but I was a bit paranoid about uploading the new system.

This is my modest little set up, next to a living room chair. There is a small powered hub just out of the picture to avoid the "low power" glitch.

Edited by teb1013 - 11/16/13 at 3:00pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › ios7, iPhone and Apple CCK