Finally decided to create a log in account after two years of searching through the forums. I would like to upgrade from Q701 and HD600. Was considering K712 or HE500. I have not heard the HE500. I have heard the HE400 and disliked its treble spike and recessed vocals. From the readings of the forums, HE500s are supposed to fix the issues I disliked in the HE400. Other than the two issues on the HE400, I really liked them. Have heard the K712 and didn't really notice a dramatic difference compared to the Q701. The K712 had more of a bottom end, warmer, and less treble vs the Q701. After much reading about the K712, I'm considering the K712 but it's so close in sound signature (IMHO) to the Q701. Would would be the better purchase, HE500 or K712? I like a headphone that performs in vocals, soundstage, separation, and sounds neutral/natural. My setup is imac>inova>lyr.
- productAKG K712 Protagged by System, 9/18/13
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by nightmancometh, 10/22/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 9/18/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 9/18/13
Related Forum Threads
- Headphone dac/amp vmoda m100. Last post on 1/18/14 at 11:15pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Need recommendations for AMP + Headphone combination Last post on 9/29/13 at 6:40am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Upgrade from ath-m50 ( Vocal) Last post on 12/11/12 at 5:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need some help Last post on 9/23/12 at 10:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- An upgrade to the HD 598 Last post on 7/12/12 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
upgrade from q701 and hd600, HE500 or K712?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I don't know if the K712 is different enough from the Q701 to be worth the money as an upgrade. I upgraded from the Q701 to the HE-400 and have been quite happy. I realize that you didn't like the HE-400, so our preferences are likely different, but I'd definitely recommend the HE-500. Orthos do separation very well, and the tonal balance would probably be more to your liking. Plus, above all, it's different enough from the Q701 to be a worthwhile upgrade. K712 just seems too similar to the Q701.
HD800 seems to be the ultimate upgrade to the Q701, as they have similar types of strengths. Might be too expensive though.
having the he-400 and now having the he-500 do the sibilance issues go away with the he-500. I hated how my ears hurt even at low volumes. the hd650 had no issues here.
thx searched threads a while for that but that was the answer I wanted to hear. Thanks.
- upgrade from q701 and hd600, HE500 or K712?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › Improving on my headphone rig... 1 minute ago
- › Rockbox for iPOD Classic 6g 7g mSATA SSD MOD 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 2 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Grado e Series 3 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by UnnownPlan
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by conquerator2
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by conquerator2
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by xsuper
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by HK_sends
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Dsnuts
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 by Francisk
- › Logitech UE 900 by twister6
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)