Finally decided to create a log in account after two years of searching through the forums. I would like to upgrade from Q701 and HD600. Was considering K712 or HE500. I have not heard the HE500. I have heard the HE400 and disliked its treble spike and recessed vocals. From the readings of the forums, HE500s are supposed to fix the issues I disliked in the HE400. Other than the two issues on the HE400, I really liked them. Have heard the K712 and didn't really notice a dramatic difference compared to the Q701. The K712 had more of a bottom end, warmer, and less treble vs the Q701. After much reading about the K712, I'm considering the K712 but it's so close in sound signature (IMHO) to the Q701. Would would be the better purchase, HE500 or K712? I like a headphone that performs in vocals, soundstage, separation, and sounds neutral/natural. My setup is imac>inova>lyr.
- productAKG K712 Protagged by System, 9/18/13
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by nightmancometh, 10/22/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 9/18/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 9/18/13
Related Forum Threads
- Headphone dac/amp vmoda m100. Last post on 1/18/14 at 11:15pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Need recommendations for AMP + Headphone combination Last post on 9/29/13 at 6:40am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Upgrade from ath-m50 ( Vocal) Last post on 12/11/12 at 5:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need some help Last post on 9/23/12 at 10:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- An upgrade to the HD 598 Last post on 7/12/12 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
Disclaimer The FR is a review sample sent from Noble Audio. The reviewer was compensated in the form of a ridiculously cool and form-fitting Noble Audio shirt. Introduction Despite humans...
My Review of the Beyerdaynamic dx 160ie In Ear Monitors I will start with the summary / conclusion. This way you get all the important information right away. If you want to know how I came to...
These earbuds were my first "serious" earbuds and they dissapointed me pretty soon. Everything was perfect until one morning I went out plugged them in and found that the cable was disconnected...
This is my first review, but I will try to make it fast and straight to the point. I just received the HD580s from ebay, and before I bought them I did some research and found out these have...
First impressions When I first tried these headphones out of the box, I was a little disappointed at how the higher frequencies seemed to be more forward than the mids and bass. It wouldn't...
upgrade from q701 and hd600, HE500 or K712?post #1 of 79/18/13 at 10:17amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 79/18/13 at 10:36am
I don't know if the K712 is different enough from the Q701 to be worth the money as an upgrade. I upgraded from the Q701 to the HE-400 and have been quite happy. I realize that you didn't like the HE-400, so our preferences are likely different, but I'd definitely recommend the HE-500. Orthos do separation very well, and the tonal balance would probably be more to your liking. Plus, above all, it's different enough from the Q701 to be a worthwhile upgrade. K712 just seems too similar to the Q701.
HD800 seems to be the ultimate upgrade to the Q701, as they have similar types of strengths. Might be too expensive though.post #3 of 79/22/13 at 12:33pmThread Starterpost #4 of 79/22/13 at 5:44pmpost #5 of 79/22/13 at 10:31pm
having the he-400 and now having the he-500 do the sibilance issues go away with the he-500. I hated how my ears hurt even at low volumes. the hd650 had no issues here.I am hoping the he-500 can be played for longer times without pain unlike the he-400post #6 of 79/23/13 at 9:25pmThread Starterpost #7 of 79/23/13 at 9:30pmQuote:
thx searched threads a while for that but that was the answer I wanted to hear. Thanks.
- upgrade from q701 and hd600, HE500 or K712?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › The DX90 by iBasso . dual Sabre ES9018K2M dacs . . please post... 8 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 13 seconds ago
- › Lampizator 5B + KGBH + SR-009 22 seconds ago
- › Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning] 40 seconds ago
- › Tube warmth and distortion and it's pros 57 seconds ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 1 minute ago
- › free gifts of RE600, HM700 and RE400 2 minutes ago
- › Akg K400 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X... 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by AManAnd88Keys
- › JBL J33 Premium In-Ear Headphones - Black by QyababAM
- › Sennheiser HD 580 by achelgeson
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Flizz
- › Forza Audioworks Copper Series Cable by awry
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by unshavenbastard
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by djvkool
- › Astrotec AX-30 by bowei006
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob