Finally decided to create a log in account after two years of searching through the forums. I would like to upgrade from Q701 and HD600. Was considering K712 or HE500. I have not heard the HE500. I have heard the HE400 and disliked its treble spike and recessed vocals. From the readings of the forums, HE500s are supposed to fix the issues I disliked in the HE400. Other than the two issues on the HE400, I really liked them. Have heard the K712 and didn't really notice a dramatic difference compared to the Q701. The K712 had more of a bottom end, warmer, and less treble vs the Q701. After much reading about the K712, I'm considering the K712 but it's so close in sound signature (IMHO) to the Q701. Would would be the better purchase, HE500 or K712? I like a headphone that performs in vocals, soundstage, separation, and sounds neutral/natural. My setup is imac>inova>lyr.
- productAKG K712 Protagged by System, 9/18/13
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by nightmancometh, 10/22/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 9/18/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 9/18/13
Related Forum Threads
- Headphone dac/amp vmoda m100. Last post on 1/18/14 at 11:15pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Need recommendations for AMP + Headphone combination Last post on 9/29/13 at 6:40am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Upgrade from ath-m50 ( Vocal) Last post on 12/11/12 at 5:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need some help Last post on 9/23/12 at 10:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- An upgrade to the HD 598 Last post on 7/12/12 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
Not quite a review but thought I'd quote my recent observations. Quote: Originally Posted by Rob80b Well the K712s showed up, just doing some preliminary comparison with my K701s with the...
First, a big thanks to Todd The Vinyl Junkie for making the 'e' series loaner program possible. To the next guy in line: sorry I kept them for so long. The very first pair of 'high-end'...
A big thanks to TekFusion for sending the TwinWoofer in for review and Ibrahim for taking the photo shots! TekFusion is a brand new fresh company based in India. Targeted for consumer...
I enjoy these headphones very much. A beautiful sound, clear and natural with a tight bass. I am a bit surprised such small cans can sounds so good. The wood finish might not suit everyone, but...
INTRODUCTION Build quality is excellent. This is my second headphone review.M40x is a recent release from Audio Technica,it is a...
upgrade from q701 and hd600, HE500 or K712?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I don't know if the K712 is different enough from the Q701 to be worth the money as an upgrade. I upgraded from the Q701 to the HE-400 and have been quite happy. I realize that you didn't like the HE-400, so our preferences are likely different, but I'd definitely recommend the HE-500. Orthos do separation very well, and the tonal balance would probably be more to your liking. Plus, above all, it's different enough from the Q701 to be a worthwhile upgrade. K712 just seems too similar to the Q701.
HD800 seems to be the ultimate upgrade to the Q701, as they have similar types of strengths. Might be too expensive though.
having the he-400 and now having the he-500 do the sibilance issues go away with the he-500. I hated how my ears hurt even at low volumes. the hd650 had no issues here.
thx searched threads a while for that but that was the answer I wanted to hear. Thanks.
- upgrade from q701 and hd600, HE500 or K712?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 17 seconds ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 17 seconds ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 46 seconds ago
- › Music City Meet -- Nashville, TN -- Fall 2014 (Sept 20, 2014) 46 seconds ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Silvaweld OTL Reference 200 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K712 Pro by Rob80b
- › Grado Labs SR225e by yage
- › Tekfusion Twinwoofers by BillsonChang007
- › ATH-ESW10JPN by bluelines
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M40x Professional Headphones by krishtrinity1
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by subwoof3r
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by lin0003
- › FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 (E11K) Portable Headphone Amplifier by twister6
- › Audio Technica Sonic Fuel ATH-CKX9iS In-ear Headphones with In-line... by TheAfterEffect
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by eke2k6
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)