Finally decided to create a log in account after two years of searching through the forums. I would like to upgrade from Q701 and HD600. Was considering K712 or HE500. I have not heard the HE500. I have heard the HE400 and disliked its treble spike and recessed vocals. From the readings of the forums, HE500s are supposed to fix the issues I disliked in the HE400. Other than the two issues on the HE400, I really liked them. Have heard the K712 and didn't really notice a dramatic difference compared to the Q701. The K712 had more of a bottom end, warmer, and less treble vs the Q701. After much reading about the K712, I'm considering the K712 but it's so close in sound signature (IMHO) to the Q701. Would would be the better purchase, HE500 or K712? I like a headphone that performs in vocals, soundstage, separation, and sounds neutral/natural. My setup is imac>inova>lyr.
- productAKG K712 Protagged by System, 9/18/13
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by nightmancometh, 10/22/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 9/18/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 9/18/13
Related Forum Threads
- Headphone dac/amp vmoda m100. Last post on 1/18/14 at 11:15pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Need recommendations for AMP + Headphone combination Last post on 9/29/13 at 6:40am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Upgrade from ath-m50 ( Vocal) Last post on 12/11/12 at 5:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need some help Last post on 9/23/12 at 10:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- An upgrade to the HD 598 Last post on 7/12/12 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
They look cheap. The "silver" plastic is very bad taste. They are also too big to go around, unless you are one of those guys who like to show themselves with headphones bigger than their...
At fist, a warning: it seems that the Bose Soundlink On-Ear have compatibility problems with iOS devices, which cause intermittent connectivity and skipping music. It is not clear to me if this...
When I have found these Harman Kardon for a ridiculously cheap price, I had already decided that I would have kept the Fidelio M2BT, the best of all those I have tested (obviously). But given the...
I started my quest for the best sounding and portable Bluetooth Headphones some months ago. I compared two. I was not satisfied. So I bought more. The Fidelio were among the first 5 I've...
Owned this amp for just over a year and it is wonderful for the price. FiiO is one of the few companies that openly lists all of their specs to the public. I reason I bought this was primarily to...
upgrade from q701 and hd600, HE500 or K712?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I don't know if the K712 is different enough from the Q701 to be worth the money as an upgrade. I upgraded from the Q701 to the HE-400 and have been quite happy. I realize that you didn't like the HE-400, so our preferences are likely different, but I'd definitely recommend the HE-500. Orthos do separation very well, and the tonal balance would probably be more to your liking. Plus, above all, it's different enough from the Q701 to be a worthwhile upgrade. K712 just seems too similar to the Q701.
HD800 seems to be the ultimate upgrade to the Q701, as they have similar types of strengths. Might be too expensive though.
having the he-400 and now having the he-500 do the sibilance issues go away with the he-500. I hated how my ears hurt even at low volumes. the hd650 had no issues here.
thx searched threads a while for that but that was the answer I wanted to hear. Thanks.
- upgrade from q701 and hd600, HE500 or K712?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Music Game IX 42 seconds ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 58 seconds ago
- › Headset for $70 (max) 1 minute ago
- › Yggdrasil: A (P)review - Two days of paradise 1 minute ago
- › Vape-Fi 1 minute ago
- › A Shure SE846 Review: and the agony of having to send them back... 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 1/4/2015:... 3 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 4 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-10RBT Bluetooth Headphone by Giogio
- › Bose SoundLink On-Ear Bluetooth Headphones - Black by Giogio
- › Harman Kardon BT by Giogio
- › Philips Fidelio M2BT by Giogio
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by cuiter23
- › Bravo Audio Tube Amplifier - V2 by Zeejet
- › Sennheiser HD 202 Headphones by serman005
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by stuartfang
- › Parrot Zik 2.0, the world's most advanced headphones -... by johnKenneth
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by johnKenneth
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3