Finally decided to create a log in account after two years of searching through the forums. I would like to upgrade from Q701 and HD600. Was considering K712 or HE500. I have not heard the HE500. I have heard the HE400 and disliked its treble spike and recessed vocals. From the readings of the forums, HE500s are supposed to fix the issues I disliked in the HE400. Other than the two issues on the HE400, I really liked them. Have heard the K712 and didn't really notice a dramatic difference compared to the Q701. The K712 had more of a bottom end, warmer, and less treble vs the Q701. After much reading about the K712, I'm considering the K712 but it's so close in sound signature (IMHO) to the Q701. Would would be the better purchase, HE500 or K712? I like a headphone that performs in vocals, soundstage, separation, and sounds neutral/natural. My setup is imac>inova>lyr.
- productAKG K712 Protagged by System, 9/18/13
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by nightmancometh, 10/22/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 9/18/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 9/18/13
Related Forum Threads
- Headphone dac/amp vmoda m100. Last post on 1/18/14 at 11:15pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Need recommendations for AMP + Headphone combination Last post on 9/29/13 at 6:40am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Upgrade from ath-m50 ( Vocal) Last post on 12/11/12 at 5:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need some help Last post on 9/23/12 at 10:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- An upgrade to the HD 598 Last post on 7/12/12 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
The Introduction Well, lovely citizens of head-fi, I am finally ready to bring you the review of the new T50RP mod by ZMF Headphones, known as the ZMF Omni. It is a semi-open headphone that...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Noontec for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. Manufacturer website link:...
Preamble: Hi guys, I'm a budding audio-appreciator since starting on this journey about a year and a half ago. I just have average ears that like to listen to slightly above average music and so...
Intro Before I begin, I would like to sincerely thank Pandora at Brainwavz for providing the review sample of the Brainwavz S3 you see in this review. Please note that I am neither affiliated...
Introduction First of all, I would like to thank Aune (@AuneAudio) for giving me the opportunity to review their unit. This is the link to the relevant head-fi thread:...
upgrade from q701 and hd600, HE500 or K712?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I don't know if the K712 is different enough from the Q701 to be worth the money as an upgrade. I upgraded from the Q701 to the HE-400 and have been quite happy. I realize that you didn't like the HE-400, so our preferences are likely different, but I'd definitely recommend the HE-500. Orthos do separation very well, and the tonal balance would probably be more to your liking. Plus, above all, it's different enough from the Q701 to be a worthwhile upgrade. K712 just seems too similar to the Q701.
HD800 seems to be the ultimate upgrade to the Q701, as they have similar types of strengths. Might be too expensive though.
having the he-400 and now having the he-500 do the sibilance issues go away with the he-500. I hated how my ears hurt even at low volumes. the hd650 had no issues here.
thx searched threads a while for that but that was the answer I wanted to hear. Thanks.
- upgrade from q701 and hd600, HE500 or K712?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 2 minutes ago
- › Questyle QP1 2 minutes ago
- › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade 3 minutes ago
- › CUSTOMART AU/NZ CIEM Demo Lineup Tour 4 minutes ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 4 minutes ago
- › Grado e Series 5 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 6 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 6 minutes ago
- › ZMF Headphones Omni by PacoTaco
- › Noontec Wireless Headphones ZORO II Wireless Hi-Fi Bluetooth On-Ear... by twister6
- › RHA T20 by RedTwilight
- › Brainwavz S3 by thatBeatsguy
- › Aune X1S 32Bit/384KHz DSD DAC Headphone Amplifier by GioF71
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by suman134
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by nmatheis
- › Philips SHE3905BK/27 In-Ear Headphones with Mic, Black by Whitigir
- › Music Hall de-be Portable Headphones by BloodyPenguin
- › Brainwavz Kidwavz KV100 Childrens Bluetooth Volume Limited Headphones by mark2410
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2