Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Respectable Business Practices For Handling Manufactor Reviews and Review Samples [General Knowledge Over View]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Respectable Business Practices For Handling Manufactor Reviews and Review Samples [General...

post #1 of 48
Thread Starter 

So I did my first official review for Audio Technica, and I was a little shocked that I was able to do it.

 

After my review I recieved some negative feed back from members here, things like "did not burn in" and ofc the biggest is what I did with the headphone or rather what I attempted to do

 

SO seeing as I had NO idea what to do I figured there are most likely other members who are just starting to do more professional reviews as well.

 

So any one want to chime in?

 

I can start, good pratices would be ofc to give a shout out to the person  who you got your sample from. Thank them

Do NOT sell Review samples this makes you appear to be some kind of soulless monster 

Burn in is recommended, I don't feel it does anything BUT the review is for EVERYONE so let's appease all people.

A youTube would be helpful

Check your spelling and grammar extensivly 

 

Any one elese feel to chime in, and feel free to use me as an example. Figured might as well take my own mistakes and use it to help teach the community :D

 

as we get more ground rules Established, I'll edit this First post so that ANY new user who's starting to do Profesional reviews.Can get an idea of what they should and shouldn't do. This isn't all common sense so please no smart alike remarks :3

post #2 of 48
Personally, I think just flat out listening to them more can be helpful. I don't really believe in driver burn-in, but I do think it takes time for your brain to adjust to a new set of cans. It just takes time for you to appreciate the strengths and get annoyed at the weaknesses of a headphone. I find that as time goes on, as in weeks or even months of ownership, both become more readily apparent.

As for getting rid of the headphones, I think the most moral thing to do is not get rid of them. And, FYI, trying to sell them didn't make you a soulless monster, you just broke head-fi's no flipping rule.
I think the next best thing would be to offer to send it to other reviewers or for a tour for others to listen to it. Other than that, trading the headphones doesn't technically violate HF's rules, but you could in theory (and you probably will) sell those headphones. I don't mean to offend you with that but you've bought and sold a lot of headphones already. I (IMO) believe it's wrong to profit from a company sending you free stuff, but to each their own.
post #3 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post

Personally, I think just flat out listening to them more can be helpful. I don't really believe in driver burn-in, but I do think it takes time for your brain to adjust to a new set of cans. It just takes time for you to appreciate the strengths and get annoyed at the weaknesses of a headphone. I find that as time goes on, as in weeks or even months of ownership, both become more readily apparent.

As for getting rid of the headphones, I think the most moral thing to do is not get rid of them. And, FYI, trying to sell them didn't make you a soulless monster, you just broke head-fi's no flipping rule.
I think the next best thing would be to offer to send it to other reviewers or for a tour for others to listen to it. Other than that, trading the headphones doesn't technically violate HF's rules, but you could in theory (and you probably will) sell those headphones. I don't mean to offend you with that but you've bought and sold a lot of headphones already. I (IMO) believe it's wrong to profit from a company sending you free stuff, but to each their own.

 

Good points, and they are a company,,, they sent me a unit in exchange for a review. Heck the ATH  Web Site didn;t even have one posted FOR the AD 900x, the US Website did not even have a review of thier own  product... so it was a fair trade imo. They can take my review and a smart marketer can use it to increase sales. Personally if it was a smaller company I'd have kept them. But with something as BIG as Audio TEchnica I can promise you they are going to profit off what ever review I post, and I did my best to make it good.

 
And I agree with you on owning it more but... honestly I've never found sound to CHANGE over time for me. I;ve always been able to break down a can pretty quick in the first 7-8 hours of listening. Now COMFORT that is another story q.q 
 
But there is no such thing as "free stuff" buisness give away goods as a means to increase thier sales. Chances are I'll let a couple friends of mine demo these and they might buy a pair from ATH, they tell thier friends... and it's the Word of 10 theory. Give one a great experince and 10 more will come. 
 
But I do agree, the more head time the better. 
 
Still I'm only offended when people make rude and spiteful comments. Criticism is a good thing when given with respect. Just spewing out insults is not good for any one, I can take those insults, but others can't and won't and I'd hate to see some one else make the mistake I did and get the reaction I did.And yea I've sold almost all of my gear for about 75% what I paid for it, WHY because I want some one else to enjoy it, hell I ship internationally as well. I don't like to but if I can help some one enjoy something. I'll do my best
post #4 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post


And, FYI, trying to sell them didn't make you a soulless monster, you just broke head-fi's no flipping rule.

I (IMO) believe it's wrong to profit from a company sending you free stuff, but to each their own.

 

 

FYI I didn't meant any personal insult with my comment.  You have just as much buying and selling feedback as I do.  It was more directed at the technicalities of the listing in general.  I was thinking out loud about that type of listing, and it just felt a little wrong to me.  I just find it hard to believe that it's common practice for reviewers to take review samples and turn around and sell them for profit the same day (essentially "flipping" them.)  That was what spurred me to comment.

 

What I would have done is make a thread like this one first to try and find out what the "right" thing to do with them would be.  Like I said, flipping them personally feels like the "wrong" thing.  I'm just curious as you are about knowing what would be a better and more respectable way to deal with them.  I'm very surprised that Audio Techinica let you just keep a $200 headphone.  Regardless of how much they benefit from a review, I thought common practice was to always return the review sample after trying it.

 

Again, I didn't mean any personal offense.

post #5 of 48

You can only give away review samples. If you're using Head-Fi reviewing to profit, then it would make you a Member of the Trade (see the Terms of Service) and you wouldn't be able to post your reviews here. That, irrespective of the fact that it is basically dishonest.

post #6 of 48

Aye, well said Currawong.

Chicolom, I wasn't trying to attack you or anything. No harsh feelings I hope. :dt880smile:

 

So with that in mind, I think I know just the person who you could send it off to for another review... :tongue:

post #7 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post
 

Chicolom, I wasn't trying to attack you or anything. No harsh feelings I hope. :dt880smile:

 

So with that in mind, I think I know just the person who you could send it off to for another review... :tongue:

 

 

No, no.  I was just quoting you because I agreed with what you said, but my actual post was a conversation directed at the OP Mshenay explaining the reason for my original comment.

 

:beerchug: 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post
 

You can only give away review samples. If you're using Head-Fi reviewing to profit, then it would make you a Member of the Trade (see the Terms of Service) and you wouldn't be able to post your reviews here. That, irrespective of the fact that it is basically dishonest.

 

Thanks for the explanation Currawong.  That makes sense to me.

post #8 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post
 

 

 

FYI I didn't meant any personal insult with my comment.  You have just as much buying and selling feedback as I do.  It was more directed at the technicalities of the listing in general.  I was thinking out loud about that type of listing, and it just felt a little wrong to me.  I just find it hard to believe that it's common practice for reviewers to take review samples and turn around and sell them for profit the same day (essentially "flipping" them.)  That was what spurred me to comment.

 

What I would have done is make a thread like this one first to try and find out what the "right" thing to do with them would be.  Like I said, flipping them personally feels like the "wrong" thing.  I'm just curious as you are about knowing what would be a better and more respectable way to deal with them.  I'm very surprised that Audio Techinica let you just keep a $200 headphone.  Regardless of how much they benefit from a review, I thought common practice was to always return the review sample after trying it.

 

Again, I didn't mean any personal offense.

Good point, and I was equally shocked they left it in my hands q.Q' As I was under them impression it was to be whisked away! 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post
 

You can only give away review samples. If you're using Head-Fi reviewing to profit, then it would make you a Member of the Trade (see the Terms of Service) and you wouldn't be able to post your reviews here. That, irrespective of the fact that it is basically dishonest.

And a better one, not trying to make a profit either [I was equally suprised my self q.q] an the sad reality is everything I sell on head fi ends up buying more stuff... form head fi >.> That and it's nice to see the MoT rules, I never got that far down the list/ 

 

None the less I may end saving them for a furture GF or something :3, give it away to some one special! [The box is so pretty] 


Edited by Mshenay - 9/18/13 at 6:22pm
post #9 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

And I agree with you on owning it more but... honestly I've never found sound to CHANGE over time for me. I;ve always been able to break down a can pretty quick in the first 7-8 hours of listening.

Of course, it's not about what you think you can do. It's about what your audience thinks you can do and provide a reliable review. Might as well wait and let the headphones burn-in some, physically and/or psychologically. Then your review will have more ethos for some readers. You'll see that a lot of speaker reviewers describe having the speakers awhile before trying to review them.
Quote:
SO seeing as I had NO idea what to do I figured there are most likely other members who are just starting to do more professional reviews as well.
Among writers, you actually have to get paid moolah before you are considered a professional wink.gif
post #10 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Of course, it's not about what you think you can do. It's about what your audience thinks you can do and provide a reliable review. Might as well wait and let the headphones burn-in some, physically and/or psychologically. Then your review will have more ethos for some readers. You'll see that a lot of speaker reviewers describe having the speakers awhile before trying to review them.
Among writers, you actually have to get paid moolah before you are considered a professional wink.gif

i can have a professional tone because i take pride in what i do n

in addition here is what im going to do. Im going to burn it in the ammend my review with my new Audio Gd Amp To show how it scales. After that i will sell my

m stage n my oDac both cost me 350 so ill sell them both with the ad900x for 325shipped

that way as and only as a combo i can offer a willing newb member n great deal on n entire hone set up. I feel that is the best thing i can do. Offer A NEW member the entire combo for 325 which is less than what i paid for only the dac n amp. That way the headphones can b enjoyed b some else for less money n time than it cost me to aquire all three.

does that seem fair. As i honestly want whom ever gets the ad900x for free to at least n joy it on the setup ive njoyed it on
post #11 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

i can have a professional tone because i take pride in what i do n

There are plenty of amateurs that take pride in what they do.

Although I would note that all writing professionals I know would take more pride in their work than to post in a discussion regarding their work without using capital letters or punctuation. And it has to do with establishing ethos as a professional.
post #12 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

 give it away to some one special! [The box is so pretty] 

Give to Me! I Spechiul and can review on Toobz!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


There are plenty of amateurs that take pride in what they do.

Although I would note that all writing professionals I know would take more pride in their work than to post in a discussion regarding their work without using capital letters or punctuation. And it has to do with establishing ethos as a professional.

+1 here I am afraid...

post #13 of 48

I have done 3 reviews for DUNU so far, the wife claimed the DN-19's, the step daughter claimed the DN-22M's and I am left with the DN-23 Landmines which I do in fact like and use.

It's better that someone enjoys these IEM's then have them gather dust on a shelf I say.

 

Also for the comments on the reviews, I am just new to this whole review game and was told in not so many words by the girl who posts all the Colorfly C4Pro stuff on FB that my reviews are pretty much "Teh Suck". Let me tell you I was devistated!


Well not really... :D

 

I just don't have my AudioPhile speak down to a science yet.

 

I shall seek out tutelage from HF's master reviewer, the venerable Panda Sama one of these days and get my game on!

:beerchug: 

post #14 of 48
Thread Starter 

Honestly I need to get the time and gear to do video reviews. I'm a much better speaker than I am a writer. 

post #15 of 48

I think the key issue is, if you got the headphones for free as a review sample, and good on you for disclosing this, then it is really quite gutsy to try and turn around and sell them for basically a profit. 

 

There are many senior members on this site who "take one for the team" by buying new products full price, review them, and then sell them back to the community.  I hate to say it but this helps to lend credibility to the reviewer as well; it's not as if the manufacturer had any hand in giving away product to the reviewer and hence less bias as a result.

 

Not that I know who you are, your credentials, your MO, or your pull with manufacturers but things are a lot different in this hobby now than how they were when I started that's for sure... so if I am out of line here I do apologize and don't mean to be pushing buttons or anything.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Respectable Business Practices For Handling Manufactor Reviews and Review Samples [General Knowledge Over View]