Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors) - Page 34

post #496 of 510

Some more notes...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranhieu View Post  If possible please compare them with the Stage 3, especially in terms of treble extension and soundstaging.

 

From a simple listen (no FR sweeps), the Stage 5 is appreciably better in terms of extension to my ears. The soundstage feels wider to me. It has the same kind of forward projection of vocals as the Stage 3, but is quite a bit more neutral-sounding across the hearing-sensitive 600-5k mid-band region.

 

BTW, the Rhines Stage 3 might sound different from whatever you heard, because I noticed it uses new generation woofers (looks the same as a CI, but is a different family and model number)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superachromat View Post  Thanks. I am looking for something with more vocal / mid presence. Hopefully, the 5 is the answer.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superachromat View Post  Perhaps, how is the Stage 5 comparing to the 4?

 

The Stage 4 is pretty warm to my ears. Of the CIEMs and CIEM demos that I've heard, the Stage 4 sounds most to me like the UE18, except with a slightly less delicate treble sparkle, but less scooped mids. Similar mid-bass signature. The Stage 4U, has more sub-bass emphasis and more midrange emphasis, including better mid-high presence. The Stage 5 sounds more even; more of a Stage 2 type of sound, but with a better, more three dimensional soundstage and better forward projection.

 

To me, the Stage 4U sounds more similar to the Stage 4, and that makes sense, considering they probably use a similar driver setup. However, the 4U can feel slightly dry, whereas the 5 feels a bit more alive.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soullinker20 View Post  @tomscy  Thanks for your impressions!! Would You say that the u shapeness is very close to 1p2?

 

I would say it's less U-shaped than the 1Plus2 --- it doesn't quite have the visceral bass feeling of the 1Plus2, but is more refined and less peaky in the treble.

post #497 of 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by soullinker20 View Post

@tomscy

Thanks for your impressions!! Would You say that the u shapeness is very close to 1p2?

@superachromat

I dont think a mild u shape will fill in your needs when it comes to more vocal presence, perhaps 335 or k10 smily_headphones1.gif

 

Thanks. Anyway, I have ordered the 5 already. Just looking to the arrival of it before stepping into other high end CIEM at the moment.

post #498 of 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post
 

Some more notes...

 

 

From a simple listen (no FR sweeps), the Stage 5 is appreciably better in terms of extension to my ears. The soundstage feels wider to me. It has the same kind of forward projection of vocals as the Stage 3, but is quite a bit more neutral-sounding across the hearing-sensitive 600-5k mid-band region.

 

BTW, the Rhines Stage 3 might sound different from whatever you heard, because I noticed it uses new generation woofers (looks the same as a CI, but is a different family and model number)

 

 

 

The Stage 4 is pretty warm to my ears. Of the CIEMs and CIEM demos that I've heard, the Stage 4 sounds most to me like the UE18, except with a slightly less delicate treble sparkle, but less scooped mids. Similar mid-bass signature. The Stage 4U, has more sub-bass emphasis and more midrange emphasis, including better mid-high presence. The Stage 5 sounds more even; more of a Stage 2 type of sound, but with a better, more three dimensional soundstage and better forward projection.

 

To me, the Stage 4U sounds more similar to the Stage 4, and that makes sense, considering they probably use a similar driver setup. However, the 4U can feel slightly dry, whereas the 5 feels a bit more alive.

 

 

I would say it's less U-shaped than the 1Plus2 --- it doesn't quite have the visceral bass feeling of the 1Plus2, but is more refined and less peaky in the treble.

 

Thank you. That looks promising to me. Hopefully, I can receive the 5 soon. :)

post #499 of 510

Anyone can compare stage5 and ve6 xcontrol?

post #500 of 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

 

From a simple listen (no FR sweeps), the Stage 5 is appreciably better in terms of extension to my ears. The soundstage feels wider to me. It has the same kind of forward projection of vocals as the Stage 3, but is quite a bit more neutral-sounding across the hearing-sensitive 600-5k mid-band region.

 

BTW, the Rhines Stage 3 might sound different from whatever you heard, because I noticed it uses new generation woofers (looks the same as a CI, but is a different family and model number)

 

The Stage 4 is pretty warm to my ears. Of the CIEMs and CIEM demos that I've heard, the Stage 4 sounds most to me like the UE18, except with a slightly less delicate treble sparkle, but less scooped mids. Similar mid-bass signature. The Stage 4U, has more sub-bass emphasis and more midrange emphasis, including better mid-high presence. The Stage 5 sounds more even; more of a Stage 2 type of sound, but with a better, more three dimensional soundstage and better forward projection.

 

To me, the Stage 4U sounds more similar to the Stage 4, and that makes sense, considering they probably use a similar driver setup. However, the 4U can feel slightly dry, whereas the 5 feels a bit more alive.

 

I would say it's less U-shaped than the 1Plus2 --- it doesn't quite have the visceral bass feeling of the 1Plus2, but is more refined and less peaky in the treble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superachromat View Post  Thank you. That looks promising to me. Hopefully, I can receive the 5 soon. :)

 

I want to address a couple of issues regarding my previous statements; for the blue highlighted part, I actually think I may have gotten a non-ideal seal with the Stage 3. I also listened in non-ideal places; the Stage 3 doesn't really have too much midtone coloration, and at this point it's hard to gauge the tonal differences between the Stage 3 and the Stage 5 in the midrange, except to say that the Stage 5 feels more detailed. Everything also sounds "bigger" --- the image just seems more exaggerated in all dimensions (I imagine this is a plus for most people), compared to the honest approach of the Stage 3.

 

With regard to the green highlighted part, I found out that the woofers were basically the same as before, but because they come from the factory pre-attached and pre-wired, it is a different model series. There shouldn't be significant differences between the new and old except that perhaps the QC is a bit better with the new Stage 3 because the two woofers should be pre-matched out of the factory.

 

Another thing is that I find the Stage demos change signature a lot with respect to insertion angle and depth in the canal. They're also change character quite a bit from source to source. The demos sound completely different with my Concero HP compared to my Sony F886, and compared to the F886 with an amp attached.

post #501 of 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post
 

With regard to the green highlighted part, I found out that the woofers were basically the same as before, but because they come from the factory pre-attached and pre-wired, it is a different model series. There shouldn't be significant differences between the new and old except that perhaps the QC is a bit better with the new Stage 3 because the two woofers should be pre-matched out of the factory.

 

Thanks. Now that's interesting since it's similar to the case of the UERM. 

post #502 of 510

My Stage 3 review has been posted (manufactured by Rhines).

post #503 of 510
Subscribing!

Also waiting on a Rhines Stage 5 and a Reviewer's Stage 4
post #504 of 510

Hey, can anyone make a comparison between Rhines s5 and VE6 x1 or x2. Just wanna know which one fits my taste.

post #505 of 510

The thread has stalled.Any impressions of the Stage 5 anyone?

post #506 of 510

Not many VE users actually....

post #507 of 510

Finally, my stage 5 arrived before end of Jun. :ksc75smile:

post #508 of 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by superachromat View Post
 

Finally, my stage 5 arrived before end of Jun. :ksc75smile:

How do you like them? How is the bass on them?

post #509 of 510

Forgot to mention, I wrote something about the entire lineup of Rhines demos here.

post #510 of 510

Still waiting on my Rhines... Haha..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)