- 48 Posts. Joined 7/2013
- Location: Ontario, California
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAudio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import)tagged by nightmancometh, 9/25/13
- productKEF M500 Hi-Fi On-Ear Headphones, Aluminum/Blacktagged by nightmancometh, 9/25/13
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by nightmancometh, 9/25/13
- productPSB M4U 1tagged by nightmancometh, 9/25/13
- productSennheiser MOMENTUMtagged by nightmancometh, 9/25/13
- productSony MDR-1Rtagged by nightmancometh, 9/25/13
- productV-MODA Crossfade M-100tagged by nightmancometh, 9/25/13
Related Forum Threads
- K550 vs Hp100 vs MDR-1r? Anyone compared these? Last post on 9/28/13 at 10:41pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Need Help (IDM/Ambient, Closed Back, Somewhat Portable,~300 budget) Last post on 1/9/13 at 8:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- $300 over-ear headphone recommendation Last post on 3/3/14 at 6:38pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Where do I go from here? Last post on 3/30/13 at 11:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best can for up to $300 ? Last post on 3/30/13 at 3:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 7/31/15
I have tried the JBL Synchros line of s300, s500, and s700. As it turns out, the low end model sounds the best to me. These are on ear design, cups are about 3 inches wide. Headband and yokes are...
These are easy to use and pair quickly with your device. The sound quality - lows, mids, and highs are excellent provided a good seal with the ear. Good bluetooth range, battery life, and comfort....
USED Shure E5, 425, 535 EX1000 is a good start to have a taste of pro sound. Islation is not that good when music isnt playing.
got one bad connection and replaced. But still you have to carry it carefully. Sound quality definitely improved.
Setting buttons easily to get clicked if you hand helding it. USB connection plug or jack is better than mico USB kind. For similar price, there are better, smaller one in the...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Mid-Fi Headphone battle - Page 3
Poll Results: Your favourite closed headphones:
11% (5)KEF M500
2% (1)V-Moda M100
9% (4)Audio Technica ATH 900X
6% (3)Sennheiser Momentum
2% (1)Sony Mdr r1
9% (4)Nad Viso HP50 (?)
4% (2)PSB M4U1
4% (2)Yamaha Pro500
50% (22)MrSpeakers Mad Dog
Gear mentioned in this thread:
First off. I'd change the quality of my source. It's not hard to get lossless versions of your MP3's. If the song is less than 320kbs I wouldn't touch it.
Second I most def would invest in a DAC/AMP (FiiO-E17). Man this thing just transforms the sound into something magical. It gives density to your music. Play with the EQs.
Lastly while I did love the HE-400 they are not portable. I don't know if this is important to you. You will definitely hear the music on the outside. Open headphones leak..period. The benefit of an open headphone is it's got a bigger soundstage. Now I didn't really understand the concept of soundstage when I got into headphones but shopping around I quickly realized that this is one of the most important things to look for in a pair of cans. generally, Open cans = big soundstage, closed cans = small to medium soundstage. How I can describe soundstage is basically listening to a pair of cans with a small soundstage like the Senn HD-25 (which I owned of a while and really liked) is like listening to an orchestra in a small room. The instruments feel like they are kind of on top of each other. Listening to the same songs on say an HD-600, It sounds like you are in a proper auditorium. Now some will say with certain genre this doesn't matter but i think it makes all music sound better when the soundstage is nice and big.
If you have an apple store near you see how many on this list are available there. They have a 14 day return policy that is amazing. When I was can shopping I took advantage of this. If they have the momentums I say spend some time with those. Those are my current headphones. I find they are a bit hard to drive. Putting them on the FiiO really makes them sound incredible. They are a great all around headphone. Enough bass to satisfy with sophisticated mids and highs.
The forum has been a buzz with these Keff M500. They look sleek as hell. I'm getting them on Tuesday to try out. People seem to like them over the Momentums.
Hope this helps.
Open headphones arent really an option in my settings, i use a xonar phoebus soundcard which i expect would do somewhat better than a fiio,
for portable use i have the UE 600 vi.
I use itunes files which i think are 320 kbps AAC's :)
- Mid-Fi Headphone battle
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 10 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 2 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm 3 minutes ago
- › The all new Continental Dual Mono 5 minutes ago
- › Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations 5 minutes ago
- › Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor? 5 minutes ago
- › Dap wanted for trade for my aurisonics rockets and asg1plus 6 minutes ago
- › JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite! 9 minutes ago
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 11 minutes ago
- › JBL Synchros S300 Premium On-Ear Stereo Headphones by ourfpshero
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by Mark231
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by dubbcd
- › Cypher Labs Algorhythm Picollo by dubbcd
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by dubbcd
- › HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC 2 (External PSU) by BloodyPenguin
- › KZ ED9 Tunning Nozzles In-Ear Headphones by Reinoud1963
- › Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones by Chu
- › Calyx Audio PaT Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier - Gold by nmatheis
- › Pioneer HRM-7 Professional Studio Headphones by grizzlybeast
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2