- 47 Posts. Joined 7/2013
- Location: Ontario, California
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAudio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import)tagged by nightmancometh, 9/25/13
- productKEF M500 Hi-Fi On-Ear Headphones, Aluminum/Blacktagged by nightmancometh, 9/25/13
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by nightmancometh, 9/25/13
- productPSB M4U 1tagged by nightmancometh, 9/25/13
- productSennheiser Momentumtagged by nightmancometh, 9/25/13
- productSony MDR-1Rtagged by nightmancometh, 9/25/13
- productV-MODA Crossfade M-100tagged by nightmancometh, 9/25/13
Related Forum Threads
- K550 vs Hp100 vs MDR-1r? Anyone compared these? Last post on 9/28/13 at 10:41pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Need Help (IDM/Ambient, Closed Back, Somewhat Portable,~300 budget) Last post on 1/9/13 at 8:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- $300 over-ear headphone recommendation Last post on 3/3/14 at 6:38pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Where do I go from here? Last post on 3/30/13 at 11:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best can for up to $300 ? Last post on 3/30/13 at 3:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 7/11/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 7/21/14
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
Mid-Fi Headphone battle - Page 3
Poll Results: Your favourite closed headphones:
44 Total Votespost #31 of 359/18/13 at 8:21amIf you look into the semi closed arena you can get the beyerdynamic dt880 32ohm and you wouldn't need an amp. Also the sennheiser hd650 doesn't leak a *ton* compared to some others.
11% (5)KEF M500
2% (1)V-Moda M100
9% (4)Audio Technica ATH 900X
6% (3)Sennheiser Momentum
2% (1)Sony Mdr r1
9% (4)Nad Viso HP50 (?)
4% (2)PSB M4U1
4% (2)Yamaha Pro500
50% (22)MrSpeakers Mad Dog
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 359/18/13 at 11:24amThread Starterpost #33 of 359/28/13 at 7:44pm
First off. I'd change the quality of my source. It's not hard to get lossless versions of your MP3's. If the song is less than 320kbs I wouldn't touch it.
Second I most def would invest in a DAC/AMP (FiiO-E17). Man this thing just transforms the sound into something magical. It gives density to your music. Play with the EQs.
Lastly while I did love the HE-400 they are not portable. I don't know if this is important to you. You will definitely hear the music on the outside. Open headphones leak..period. The benefit of an open headphone is it's got a bigger soundstage. Now I didn't really understand the concept of soundstage when I got into headphones but shopping around I quickly realized that this is one of the most important things to look for in a pair of cans. generally, Open cans = big soundstage, closed cans = small to medium soundstage. How I can describe soundstage is basically listening to a pair of cans with a small soundstage like the Senn HD-25 (which I owned of a while and really liked) is like listening to an orchestra in a small room. The instruments feel like they are kind of on top of each other. Listening to the same songs on say an HD-600, It sounds like you are in a proper auditorium. Now some will say with certain genre this doesn't matter but i think it makes all music sound better when the soundstage is nice and big.
If you have an apple store near you see how many on this list are available there. They have a 14 day return policy that is amazing. When I was can shopping I took advantage of this. If they have the momentums I say spend some time with those. Those are my current headphones. I find they are a bit hard to drive. Putting them on the FiiO really makes them sound incredible. They are a great all around headphone. Enough bass to satisfy with sophisticated mids and highs.
The forum has been a buzz with these Keff M500. They look sleek as hell. I'm getting them on Tuesday to try out. People seem to like them over the Momentums.
Hope this helps.post #34 of 359/29/13 at 6:48amThread Starter
Open headphones arent really an option in my settings, i use a xonar phoebus soundcard which i expect would do somewhat better than a fiio,
for portable use i have the UE 600 vi.
I use itunes files which i think are 320 kbps AAC's :)post #35 of 352/26/14 at 9:48amI love the Momentum so much I bought a second pair. They scale up well with amplification. Plus, they look way better than all the other headphones out there. I would not want to be seen in public wearing an HP 50 or a pair of mad dogs.
- Mid-Fi Headphone battle
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › LFF's Enigma (new from the maker of the Paradox) 12 seconds ago
- › Looking for headphones with angled drivers 1 minute ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 2 minutes ago
- › Replacement Pads for Audio Technica ATH-M50S Questions 3 minutes ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 4 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 4 minutes ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 4 minutes ago
- › Need review for Audio Technica ATH-900XLTD 5 minutes ago
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)