Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones - Page 42

post #616 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkManiac View Post
 

I don't think anyone is recommending the P7 as the ultimate reference headphone, that would be silly.  The P7 is a very good portable headphone that sounds good enough for many people to also be their only headphone.  There are cheaper headphones like the HD600 that sound better, but obviously aren't portable.  There are cheaper headphones that are more portable but don't sound as good.  If I needed mobility and could only arrod one pair of headphones then I would recommend the P7, and then add better cans later on for home use.

 

My point is, while they're not ultimately reference headphones, the P7 are good enough to be an all-rounder.

 

As far as amps, we'll have to just disagree there, I found that the P7 responded VERY well when I added the Theorem 720 into the mix vs using just the iPod.

I had the P7 with the Theorem 720.  I thought it wasn't a big improvement.  It was clearer and bit more refined sounding over all but definitely not a big difference.

post #617 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
 

 

That is my one problem with the P7.....the obvious boost in the midbass. One become accustomed to it but it's still there. The pads are stiff, yes. Not the last word in comfort for sure. But I wonder if a softer pad would muddy the bottom even more?

I did notice that when I had them for about 2 weeks that they softened up a bit after 2 weeks, making them more comfortable.

post #618 of 1119

I'm using the P7s as "home 'phones". I never use headphones on-the-go. They have a different audio signature that my other cans: I like the variety.

post #619 of 1119
Per earlier in the thread had owned M500 and P7 for a time until selling the M500. P7 obviously better vocal, whether straight out of a smartphone or clas -dB rig. The M500 did not scale well for me anyway. Going back to M500 brings up noticeable digital twang or edge. Once you hear it you cannot un-hear sadly. P7 vocal also more air and space
post #620 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC_SL View Post

Per earlier in the thread had owned M500 and P7 for a time until selling the M500. P7 obviously better vocal, whether straight out of a smartphone or clas -dB rig. The M500 did not scale well for me anyway. Going back to M500 brings up noticeable digital twang or edge. Once you hear it you cannot un-hear sadly. P7 vocal also more air and space

 

^ This 

post #621 of 1119

^ Traitors

 

;)

post #622 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfly View Post

I did notice that when I had them for about 2 weeks that they softened up a bit after 2 weeks, making them more comfortable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfly View Post

I did notice that when I had them for about 2 weeks that they softened up a bit after 2 weeks, making them more comfortable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post

I had the P7 with the Theorem 720.  I thought it wasn't a big improvement.  It was clearer and bit more refined sounding over all but definitely not a big difference.
I was easily able to hear the difference even when blindfolded, for me that is a big difference. It wasn't as big of a difference as hearing different headphones, but it was as big of a difference as I've ever heard an amp make.
post #623 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC_SL View Post

Per earlier in the thread had owned M500 and P7 for a time until selling the M500. P7 obviously better vocal, whether straight out of a smartphone or clas -dB rig. The M500 did not scale well for me anyway. Going back to M500 brings up noticeable digital twang or edge. Once you hear it you cannot un-hear sadly. P7 vocal also more air and space

Lol I can understand how to some the P7 is the best mobile headphone. I'll even accept the P7 may have a unique sound that makes it the best for some songs, though that's really pushing it. But there is no way it can play with the big boys. Compare it to a desktop rig and it can't hold a candle to. I really do like the M500, but there's plenty in my desktop rig that I can't unhear and the M500 doesn't come close. I guess what irks me is hearing praise that makes it sound like the P7 is the best headphones anyone has ever heard. I'm sure it is for some, but with the same amount of money, you could get a better sounding desktop rig. I think this kind of praise spreads misinformation for some to believe that getting the P7 and you're set for your audiophile journey. Eh I guess that ignorance would save wallets though.

"Once you hear it you cannot un-hear sadly" - that's a statement that should be reserved for the best rig you've ever heard.
post #624 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post


Lol I can understand how to some the P7 is the best mobile headphone. I'll even accept the P7 may have a unique sound that makes it the best for some songs, though that's really pushing it. But there is no way it can play with the big boys. Compare it to a desktop rig and it can't hold a candle to. I really do like the M500, but there's plenty in my desktop rig that I can't unhear and the M500 doesn't come close. I guess what irks me is hearing praise that makes it sound like the P7 is the best headphones anyone has ever heard. I'm sure it is for some, but with the same amount of money, you could get a better sounding desktop rig. I think this kind of praise spreads misinformation for some to believe that getting the P7 and you're set for your audiophile journey. Eh I guess that ignorance would save wallets though.

"Once you hear it you cannot un-hear sadly" - that's a statement that should be reserved for the best rig you've ever heard.

I have to agree with you.  For portability, it is pretty good.  I still think there are better headphones out there.  I do like their style but that's probably the main thing I like about them.  Not enough to justify for $400.

post #625 of 1119

Hello,

 

Can anyone with both the P5 and P7 answer this simple question.

 

Can the P7's earcups be stretched further than that of the P5? (Does the P7 have a greater headband-to-earcup clearance, when stretched?) I have tried the P5, but it just wasn't perfect, I'm afraid. I have a rather large head, obviously. It's embarrassing, but what can you do...

 

Thanks in advance.

post #626 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesc View Post

Hello,

Can anyone with both the P5 and P7 answer this simple question.

Can the P7's earcups be stretched further than that of the P5? (Does the P7 have a greater headband-to-earcup clearance, when stretched?) I have tried the P5, but it just wasn't perfect, I'm afraid. I have a rather large head, obviously. It's embarrassing, but what can you do...

Thanks in advance.

After a quick test this is difficult to answer but I would say slightly but not significantly. At their fullest extent the P5 sits just below the top of my ear. Similarly for the P7. So my ear would have to drop further to be fully inside the cup than to align with the P5. But it can only be about a quarter of an inch / 6 mm
post #627 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post

Lol I can understand how to some the P7 is the best mobile headphone. I'll even accept the P7 may have a unique sound that makes it the best for some songs, though that's really pushing it. But there is no way it can play with the big boys. Compare it to a desktop rig and it can't hold a candle to. I really do like the M500, but there's plenty in my desktop rig that I can't unhear and the M500 doesn't come close. I guess what irks me is hearing praise that makes it sound like the P7 is the best headphones anyone has ever heard. I'm sure it is for some, but with the same amount of money, you could get a better sounding desktop rig. I think this kind of praise spreads misinformation for some to believe that getting the P7 and you're set for your audiophile journey. Eh I guess that ignorance would save wallets though.

"Once you hear it you cannot un-hear sadly" - that's a statement that should be reserved for the best rig you've ever heard.
I've not seen anyone in this thread claim that the P7 is the best sounding headphone out there. I seriously anybody that's actually active on these forums is going to read this thread and think that the P7 is the final word on sound quality.
post #628 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkManiac View Post

I've not seen anyone in this thread claim that the P7 is the best sounding headphone out there. I seriously anybody that's actually active on these forums is going to read this thread and think that the P7 is the final word on sound quality.

I agree. I think It is unfair to compete closed, portable cans with open, home use cans. They are just in different leagues.

P7 is colored, with the mid bass bump, a little recessed mids, and 'sparky' treble for some. However, it serves me really well as my portable cans. It is portable, stylish, sounds great, isolates well, and is mobile phone friendly. Will you wear a HD800, plug it into an iPod, and walk on the streets, just for the sake of SQ?

For me, P7 ends my search for an ultimate portable cans, at least for the next year or two.
I will invest my money on home rig from now on.
post #629 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkManiac View Post




I was easily able to hear the difference even when blindfolded, for me that is a big difference. It wasn't as big of a difference as hearing different headphones, but it was as big of a difference as I've ever heard an amp make.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkManiac View Post


I've not seen anyone in this thread claim that the P7 is the best sounding headphone out there. I seriously anybody that's actually active on these forums is going to read this thread and think that the P7 is the final word on sound quality.

 

Well for example, your statement on the scaling of a good amp for the P7 makes it sound like it's on the level of importance an amp is for an amp-mandatory headphone like say the HD800. My beef is against statements like that can easily be misconstrued as an amp being imperative for the enjoyment of the P7, and with a good amp makes the P7 as good as any setup out there. And as for a direct counter to your specific statement, I highly doubt any amp would give an improvement to the P7 compared to the unamped sound as a decent amp would do for the HD800. I'm pretty sure a majority of people would agree with me here on that statement. It's quite likely you aren't even arguing that point with your statement, but I'm just showing how easily a simple statement, without any reference points and coupled with all the praising on this thread, can make it seem that way to the less experienced.

post #630 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwu View Post


I agree. I think It is unfair to compete closed, portable cans with open, home use cans. They are just in different leagues.

P7 is colored, with the mid bass bump, a little recessed mids, and 'sparky' treble for some. However, it serves me really well as my portable cans. It is portable, stylish, sounds great, isolates well, and is mobile phone friendly. Will you wear a HD800, plug it into an iPod, and walk on the streets, just for the sake of SQ?

For me, P7 ends my search for an ultimate portable cans, at least for the next year or two.
I will invest my money on home rig from now on.


Yes. I also did make the distinction in my original post that if you were using a headphone for mobile purposes, then yes, I can see the P7 being the best on the market right now there. But read through some of the posts here, and it's easy for an outsider to believe these are some of the best headphones out there. And then you have someone new to the head-fi world curious enough to go demo them at Best Buy, and for them, coming from Beats or Skullcandy, they'll agree that these are the best headphones ever, which results in more praising posts with little reference points. And now we got a positive feedback loop that just feeds the idea that these are world class headphones in any setting, not just mobile.

 

Once again I completely understand and could make the argument for these to be the best portable headphones on the current market. I could even recommend these to those who just want one set of headphones for every purpose, on the road and at home. But I'm just against some of the posts I've been reading on here that give off the vibe that these are comparable in sound quality to true desktop rigs. What's more, it's not like to obtain a desktop rig, you need to spend a lot more money. For $400, you could get a Beyerdynamic DT880 and a Fiio E17 for a better sound. And then people on here are talking about adding an amp to the P7. Then you have to compare to HE-400 or HD600 + amp.


Edited by Sonido - 12/7/13 at 6:26pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones