Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones - Page 5

post #61 of 1254
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfly View Post
 

 

Phil,

 

How do you find the clamping pressure to be with extended listening? And how well do you feel like the clamping pressure could be reduced in case someone found them too tight?

 

I've had several closed headphones, like the Sennheiser 280, 380, Momentum, Beyerdynamic DT 770, DT-150, Denon AH-D5000, Kef M500 and B&W P5. The clamping and long term wearing comfort is among the best I've encountered with closed headphones. The pads don't touch your ears, so the ears don't become sore like with on-ear headphones, and the clamping pressure is no problem over long periods. The clamping is firm enough to guarantee that they seal properly, but not like the studio style headphones like the Sennheiser 280 which can seem like they put your head in a vice. I don't know what the headband is made of, but if it's metal (which it feels like) then you might be able to bend it to relieve pressure.

post #62 of 1254

Don't know if this was posted already, but came across this review:

 

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2424547,00.asp

 

They mention that the bass can get slightly distorted at high volumes as one of the cons (but then when you read the text in the article they don't mention anything about it).

post #63 of 1254

I don't know what the reviewers definition of "top volume" is, but the bass sounds just fine here when I turn it up to what I'd consider very loud. Whatever volume he was testing that at was probably unhealthy for human ears.

post #64 of 1254
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManko View Post
 

I don't know what the reviewers definition of "top volume" is, but the bass sounds just fine here when I turn it up to what I'd consider very loud. Whatever volume he was testing that at was probably unhealthy for human ears.

 

I guess it also depends on what source they used. Actually it depends on so many variables whether or not you'll get distorted sound, it's kind of pointless for them to mention it without mentioning what they were listening to, how well that track was recorded, what the source was they were using, how it was amped, etc. etc.

 

Anyway, I'll let my own ears be the judge :)

post #65 of 1254
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfly View Post
 

Don't know if this was posted already, but came across this review:

 

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2424547,00.asp

 

They mention that the bass can get slightly distorted at high volumes as one of the cons (but then when you read the text in the article they don't mention anything about it).

 

Doesn't everything distort at top volume? :rolleyes:  And he's probably using some crap mobile device for a source.

post #66 of 1254

Found some headphone frequency response measurements comparing the P7 (never heard) with the P5 (which I own).  

 

http://stereos.about.com/od/StereoHeadphoneReviews/ss/Bandw-P7-Measurements_2.htm

 

Now, such measurements are relative -- people use different setups, so you can't compare Brent Butterworth's graphs with Tyll Hertsens'.  But this graph shows both the P5 and P7 together.  The difference can help figure things out.  And, based on my own EQing of the P5, everything the P7 is doing different from the P5 drives the P7 towards neutrality for me.  

 

The last curve in the stack has distortion measurements.  Looks like there is a bit of bass distortion lurking there.  

 

I look forward to a listen of the P7s.  Where in the States can one find them? 

post #67 of 1254

Yeah it's clear that Brent's frequency response graphs doesn't use HRTF compensation like Tyll does, so you get that huge spike in the treble. I find it hard to tell what's going on in the higher frequencies because I'm so used to the compensated graphs.

post #68 of 1254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
 

 

Doesn't everything distort at top volume? :rolleyes:  And he's probably using some crap mobile device for a source.

No, the HD800 never distorts at top volume

post #69 of 1254

B&W P5 sounds very mediocre to my ears. I was shocked to find B&W to release such a ho-hum product and call it premium material.

I hope the P7 would erase all that and prove once more that beautifully crafted product does not have to end up as a style-over-substance

fashion victim. 

post #70 of 1254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overheat View Post
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilW View Post
 

 

@Phil & @Overheat,

 

Sorry to interrupt the discussion with such a trivial question, but if I'm right in understanding you both might work in retail locations stocking this soon, if not already, do either of you know if the packaging for these is sticker-sealed just like the P5 packaging was, or otherwise factory-sealed by some other method?  Please say yes...

post #71 of 1254

PhilW,

 

Have you been able to compare the P7 with the NAD VISO HP50? I have both the KEF M500 and the HP50, the latter sound far more `spacious', `coherent' and `transparent' than the former, though both cans are very good. 

 

Thanks,

Andy.  

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilW View Post


Tbh these don't clamp anything like the p5. They feel sturdy bit the softness of the pads prevent any aching after long listening sessions. I know what you're talking about though. The p5 is just too much and actually hurts me after a while. P7 it's sorted. If I'm honest it's like the p7 was not even on b&w radar when they got into headphones and they have designed these from scratch....apart from the look I hear no similarities to the p3 or p5....which imho is a good thing. A very good thing. We have had a fair few p5 customers upgrading and a few m500 customer's converting. :-)
post #72 of 1254
Quote:
Originally Posted by raspiguy View Post
 

 

 

@Phil & @Overheat,

 

Sorry to interrupt the discussion with such a trivial question, but if I'm right in understanding you both might work in retail locations stocking this soon, if not already, do either of you know if the packaging for these is sticker-sealed just like the P5 packaging was, or otherwise factory-sealed by some other method?  Please say yes...

 

Yes we currently have these in stock and have just checked that they are factory sealed with a clear sticker.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smial1966 View Post

PhilW,

 

Have you been able to compare the P7 with the NAD VISO HP50? I have both the KEF M500 and the HP50, the latter sound far more `spacious', `coherent' and `transparent' than the former, though both cans are very good. 

 

Thanks,

Andy.

 

Hi Andy, my apologies we are unable to hear the VISO HP50 in our store however I have both the M500 and P7 on my desk at the moment and to my ears there is a chalk and cheese, black and white difference between the M500 and P7. It's only really noticeable once going back to the M500 but the P7 has a larger soundspace so you can hear each instrument a lot clearer. When going back to the M500 it all appears as one noise. If that makes sense!

 

Regards

 

Phil

post #73 of 1254

Well I ordered the P7, should have it before the weekend. Over the weekend I'll give my impressions, comparing it to the Momentum I currently have. Apparently a lot of stores are running out of stock, seems to be selling like hotcakes...

post #74 of 1254
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilW View Post
 

 

Yes we currently have these in stock and have just checked that they are factory sealed with a clear sticker.

 

 

Hi Andy, my apologies we are unable to hear the VISO HP50 in our store however I have both the M500 and P7 on my desk at the moment and to my ears there is a chalk and cheese, black and white difference between the M500 and P7. It's only really noticeable once going back to the M500 but the P7 has a larger soundspace so you can hear each instrument a lot clearer. When going back to the M500 it all appears as one noise. If that makes sense!

 

Regards

 

Phil

 

Phil,

 

Have you been able to compare it to the Momentum?

post #75 of 1254
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfly View Post
 

 

Phil,

 

Have you been able to compare it to the Momentum?

 

I have indeed, tbh my ears don't fit in the Mo's so I much prefer the comfort of the P7. Tonally the P7 is more open than the Mo and doesn't have that same kind of bass kick the Mo's have. All round its just a bit more natural from the P7.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones