Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones - Page 4

post #46 of 1254
Thread Starter 
I had a quick listen to them last weekend, didn't like them at all, strange fit, and the sound was uninspiring, the NAD VISO HP50, which I compared with sound much better for me smily_headphones1.gif
post #47 of 1254

I'm going to repost a slightly modified version of what I said in this thread about the P7 vs Kef M500 and Sennheiser Momentum.

 

Much to the chagrin of my wallet I went out and bought the Kef M500 and B&W P7 this week. To start with I think both sound better than the Momentum, so to some degree you're actually getting what you pay for with them in terms of sound. What both M500 and P7 do better than the Momentum is bass control. It just feels like the M500 and P7 are stiffer and better dampened constructions, while the Momentum has some resonance that bleed into the mids a bit.

 

The P7 is a huge improvement over the P5, since it now has a more present treble and properly big soundstage. The treble is still slightly dampened, so there's no harshness whatsoever. But it sounds like a more neutral balance than the other B&W headphones. The bass has a bump in it which adds some nice impact and oomph, without becoming ridiculous and overpowered. The bass bump is bigger than the one in the Momentum, so the Sennheiser's remain the more balanced headphone of the two. What the P7 do better though is have a big bass that still feels well controlled, so the mids and highs retain clarity even when there's a huge pulsing bass in the background. This is something the M500 do as well. The M500 seem to have a more linear balance than the Momentum and P7, except with a bump in the deep bass instead of mid bass. So with electronic music you can get a huge pulsing deep bass with the M500, and thanks to the tightness of the sound you still have a wide open soundstage and midrange clarity. Of the three the M500 has more treble and can at times have a hard quality to the highs. There's no sibilance from what I've heard, so they're still nice to listen to over time.

 

Some words on comfort. The Momentum have a more comfortable headband than the M500 and P7, since those two are a bit stiff. While the Momentum is also hard, it has the split design that distributes the pressure better. The P5 headband was softer than the P7. The earpads on the P7 are more comfortable than the Momentum though, and the M500 is clearly worst of the three since they're on-ear headphones. The P7 is by no means uncomfortable, but not quite perfect. The P7 fit reminds me of the Beyerdynamic DT-150 which also had stiff rectangular earpads. It might feel odd at first, but I think it's a design that really works. It's very comfortable over several hours.

 

Overall the Momentum are of course still a nicely balanced and well done headphone, but personally I like the M500 and P7 more. Between the M500 and P7 I can't decide yet, but I'm leaning toward the P7 since they're more nicely built and are more comfortable. If you had to pick one of the three there's no wrong choice. They're all excellent, and I'm impressed by the quality of the closed headphones in this category now. Many companies are clearly working their butts off to make the best headphone possible. Great times.


Edited by TheManko - 10/4/13 at 7:51am
post #48 of 1254
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManko View Post
 

I'm going to repost what I said in this thread about the P7 vs Kef M500 and Sennheiser Momentum.

 

Much to the chagrin of my wallet I went out and bought the Kef M500 and B&W P7 this week. To start with I think both sound better than the Momentum, so to some degree you're actually getting what you pay for with them in terms of sound. What both M500 and P7 do better than the Momentum is bass control. It just feels like the M500 and P7 are stiffer and better dampened constructions, while the Momentum has some resonance that bleed into the mids a bit.

 

The P7 is a huge improvement over the P5, since it now has a more present treble and properly big soundstage. The treble is still slightly dampened, so there's no harshness whatsoever. But it sounds like a more neutral balance than the other B&W headphones. The bass has a bump in it which adds some nice impact and oomph, without becoming ridiculous and overpowered. The bass bump is bigger than the one in the Momentum, so the Sennheiser's remain the more balanced headphone of the two. What the P7 do better though is have a big bass that still feels well controlled, so the mids and highs retain clarity even when there's a huge pulsing bass in the background. This is something the M500 do as well. The M500 seem to have a more linear balance than the Momentum and P7, except with a bump in the deep bass instead of mid bass. So with electronic music you can get a huge pulsing deep bass with the M500 at times, and thanks to the tightness of the sound you still have a wide open soundstage and midrange clarity. Of the three the M500 has more treble and can at times have a hard quality to the highs. There's no sibilance from what I've heard, so they're still nice to listen to over time.

 

Overall the Momentum are of course still a nicely balanced and well done headphone, but personally I like the M500 and P7 more. Between the M500 and P7 I can't decide yet, but I'm leaning toward the P7 since they're more nicely built and are more comfortable. If you had to pick one of the three there's no wrong choice. They're all excellent, and I'm impressed by the quality of the closed headphones in this category now. Many companies are clearly working their butts off to make the best headphone possible. Great times.

 

 

Hi TheManko,

 

Thanks for your first impressions. You may find that after quite a while of listening that bass hump on the P7 you're talking about may go. At least it has with my pair.

 

Regards


Edited by PhilW - 10/4/13 at 7:50am
post #49 of 1254
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilW View Post
 

 

 

Hi TheManko,

 

Thanks for your first impressions. You may find that after quite a while of listening that bass hump on the P7 you're talking about may go. At least it has with my pair.

 

Regards

 

I haven't had them for long, so I can see how my impression of them might change over time as I really get used to how they sound and the pads get worn in a bit. So far I'm enjoying them quite a bit each time I put them on and I feel like I'll be keeping them around for a very long time. They don't have any glaring flaws from what I can tell. They're a very well executed design.

post #50 of 1254
I shall take a ride past John Lewis on the way home tonight to take listen.
Thought I was going to buy some Tesla powered(?) phones soon but these May jump the queue.

Regards
Sceptre
post #51 of 1254
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManko View Post
 

I'm going to repost a slightly modified version of what I said in this thread about the P7 vs Kef M500 and Sennheiser Momentum.

 

Much to the chagrin of my wallet I went out and bought the Kef M500 and B&W P7 this week. To start with I think both sound better than the Momentum, so to some degree you're actually getting what you pay for with them in terms of sound. What both M500 and P7 do better than the Momentum is bass control. It just feels like the M500 and P7 are stiffer and better dampened constructions, while the Momentum has some resonance that bleed into the mids a bit.

 

The P7 is a huge improvement over the P5, since it now has a more present treble and properly big soundstage. The treble is still slightly dampened, so there's no harshness whatsoever. But it sounds like a more neutral balance than the other B&W headphones. The bass has a bump in it which adds some nice impact and oomph, without becoming ridiculous and overpowered. The bass bump is bigger than the one in the Momentum, so the Sennheiser's remain the more balanced headphone of the two. What the P7 do better though is have a big bass that still feels well controlled, so the mids and highs retain clarity even when there's a huge pulsing bass in the background. This is something the M500 do as well. The M500 seem to have a more linear balance than the Momentum and P7, except with a bump in the deep bass instead of mid bass. So with electronic music you can get a huge pulsing deep bass with the M500, and thanks to the tightness of the sound you still have a wide open soundstage and midrange clarity. Of the three the M500 has more treble and can at times have a hard quality to the highs. There's no sibilance from what I've heard, so they're still nice to listen to over time.

 

Some words on comfort. The Momentum have a more comfortable headband than the M500 and P7, since those two are a bit stiff. While the Momentum is also hard, it has the split design that distributes the pressure better. The P5 headband was softer than the P7. The earpads on the P7 are more comfortable than the Momentum though, and the M500 is clearly worst of the three since they're on-ear headphones. The P7 is by no means uncomfortable, but not quite perfect. The P7 fit reminds me of the Beyerdynamic DT-150 which also had stiff rectangular earpads. It might feel odd at first, but I think it's a design that really works. It's very comfortable over several hours.

 

Overall the Momentum are of course still a nicely balanced and well done headphone, but personally I like the M500 and P7 more. Between the M500 and P7 I can't decide yet, but I'm leaning toward the P7 since they're more nicely built and are more comfortable. If you had to pick one of the three there's no wrong choice. They're all excellent, and I'm impressed by the quality of the closed headphones in this category now. Many companies are clearly working their butts off to make the best headphone possible. Great times.

 

Well said.  I haven't heard the M500 yet, but this echoes my impressions of the P7.

post #52 of 1254
Alas. John Lewis Peterborough will not be getting them in. Seems like there are only 3 out of original 128 left for online purchase. Will take a listen in London soon :-(
Edited by Sceptre - 10/12/13 at 1:08am
post #53 of 1254

Just had my first proper long term session wearing the P7. Was in a 3 hour Skype call, and after that I listened for about 1 hour of music. Not once did I take the P7 off my head during all that time, and once I did take them off after the 4 hours my head and ears felt just fine. No pain, pressure or even sweat. It only felt like my ears had been in an enclosed space for hours, which they had. But it wasn't bothersome. I could have worn them for a few more hours with no problems I reckon. Probably about as good comfort as you could ever hope for from closed headphones. Way better long term comfort than the Beyerdynamic DT 770 or Denon AH-D5000 which are the two closed headphones I've had most experience with for long sessions. I'm continuing to enjoy my experience with the P7.

post #54 of 1254
Can someone comment on isolation? On the plane? I love my P3, very interested in this if they come out with some new colors
post #55 of 1254

Haven't had an opportunity to test the isolation. Everywhere I've been listening to them has happened to be relatively quiet. Might just do a test at home with crowd noise playing over my speakers and seeing how they isolate compared to everything else I have sitting around. I'm not planning on flying anytime soon so I won't be able to do a plane test.

post #56 of 1254
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManko View Post
 

Haven't had an opportunity to test the isolation. Everywhere I've been listening to them has happened to be relatively quiet. Might just do a test at home with crowd noise playing over my speakers and seeing how they isolate compared to everything else I have sitting around. I'm not planning on flying anytime soon so I won't be able to do a plane test.

 

How about leakage? Can they be used in quiet environments, without disturbing other people?


Edited by Fush - 10/7/13 at 12:54am
post #57 of 1254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fush View Post
 

 

How about leakage? Can they be used in quiet environments, without disturbing other people?

 

Well I am able to lay in bed, with them very loud without the missus waking up :D

 

They are very good at keeping the music inside the can.

 

Regards

 

Phil

post #58 of 1254
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilW View Post
 

 

Well I am able to lay in bed, with them very loud without the missus waking up :D

 

They are very good at keeping the music inside the can.

 

Regards

 

Phil

 

Phil,

 

How do you find the clamping pressure to be with extended listening? And how well do you feel like the clamping pressure could be reduced in case someone found them too tight?

post #59 of 1254
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfly View Post

Phil,

How do you find the clamping pressure to be with extended listening? And how well do you feel like the clamping pressure could be reduced in case someone found them too tight?

Tbh these don't clamp anything like the p5. They feel sturdy bit the softness of the pads prevent any aching after long listening sessions. I know what you're talking about though. The p5 is just too much and actually hurts me after a while. P7 it's sorted. If I'm honest it's like the p7 was not even on b&w radar when they got into headphones and they have designed these from scratch....apart from the look I hear no similarities to the p3 or p5....which imho is a good thing. A very good thing. We have had a fair few p5 customers upgrading and a few m500 customer's converting. :-)
post #60 of 1254
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilW View Post


Tbh these don't clamp anything like the p5. They feel sturdy bit the softness of the pads prevent any aching after long listening sessions. I know what you're talking about though. The p5 is just too much and actually hurts me after a while. P7 it's sorted. If I'm honest it's like the p7 was not even on b&w radar when they got into headphones and they have designed these from scratch....apart from the look I hear no similarities to the p3 or p5....which imho is a good thing. A very good thing. We have had a fair few p5 customers upgrading and a few m500 customer's converting. :-)

 

Well I might pick up a pair tomorrow to try 'm out. Already tried the M500 and Momentum. Liked the sound of the M500, not so much the comfort for long listening. Also like the sound of Momentum (although a bit different from M500, between the two I'd say M500 is a bit better) and much preferred the comfort so I ended up purchasing those. But I still find myself finicking with the positioning as the earcups of the Momentum are a bit on the small side for my ears. Hopefully the P7 will have better comfort for long listening and am curious about the sound.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones