Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › A brief comparison/review of the AKG K3003i vs the Shure SE846
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A brief comparison/review of the AKG K3003i vs the Shure SE846 - Page 8

post #106 of 119

^ Yes, it's memorable! :beerchug:

post #107 of 119
Great review!
I read it after I pulled the trigger on the Shures but before they arrived, so it was nice to see that I made the right call most likely. I got them today and I am indeed very pleased! I have had a whole bunch of Shure uiems and I have to say that these blow all the previous models out of the water! People complained about the price earlier in this thread and I get that. However I have to say that the jump in performance between 535 and 846 is quite substantial. Is it worth 500 USD - that's up to you.

A note about treble. I do prefer forward sounding cans like HD800,he6 and even akg k702 and the k550, and I find nothing to complain in the Shures 846 in that department. I have not heard k3003 or many other IEMS so I cannot compare. So far I am using neutral filter, powered with SR-71a.

Otherwise I have to second all the positives described in the 1st post. These are really nice.
post #108 of 119
Lol, I really want to try se846 and sell the k3003i
post #109 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinDe View Post

Lol, I really want to try se846 and sell the k3003i

 

You should if you like more sub-bass with music and you wouldn't if you like treble quality more.

post #110 of 119

Thanks for the review. Very enjoyable and it would seem to me also accurate. I have the AKG K3003i and I think I can agree on most of what you say. I do not have the SE846 but intend to try them in the near future. However, I do have the FitEar ToGo! 334 and I feel your description of the SE846 in most respects and to a large extent could just as well have been applied to the 334. So, my question is if you can second that opinion or if you think I’m way off? I’d be very interested to read your reply!


You write that “The AKG has a closer sound to reference, but is still not quite reference grade.” Purely out of curiosity I’d like to ask if you could name a headphone or some headphones that you do consider “reference grade”. (This second question is not all that important to me.)

 

Thanks!

post #111 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiowood View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinDe View Post

Lol, I really want to try se846 and sell the k3003i

 

You should if you like more sub-bass with music and you wouldn't if you like treble quality more.

Does that mean that you consider mid-range to be equal on these two phones? I'm curious because I'm trying to establish differences and similarities between se846 and ToGo! 334. I'd say if se846 and k3003i mid-range is equal, than mid-range on ToGo 334! is superior when it comes to vocals (but maybe not when it comes to string(ed) instruments).


Edited by Aero Dynamik - 4/12/14 at 1:01pm
post #112 of 119

Any thoughts on noise isolation?

 

I am quite happy with my K3003i. I'm really happy with the sound (never been a bass head). However, they don't isolate too well - at least not using the included silicone ear tips. Okay, they are not as bad as my IE800, but compared with Shure's SE535 (with large foam tips) the K3003 are a bit disappointing...

 

Judging from my SE535, I assume the 846 should give decent isolation. What do you guys think? 

 

 

Oh, nice comparison/review by the way - I wouldn't call it brief though ;) 

post #113 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corone View Post
 

Any thoughts on noise isolation?

 

I am quite happy with my K3003i. I'm really happy with the sound (never been a bass head). However, they don't isolate too well - at least not using the included silicone ear tips. Okay, they are not as bad as my IE800, but compared with Shure's SE535 (with large foam tips) the K3003 are a bit disappointing...

 

Judging from my SE535, I assume the 846 should give decent isolation. What do you guys think? 

 

 

Oh, nice comparison/review by the way - I wouldn't call it brief though ;) 

 

A little off topic. How does the SE535 compae with the IE800 out of interest, for that matter the SE846 with the IE800, furthermore the SE535 with the SE846, do you reckon it is a big enough step up in terms of price point?

post #114 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corone View Post
 

Any thoughts on noise isolation?

 

 

Isolation is the same as SE535. I use (and have used for years) the tips Shure IEMs come with and have always found them comfortable. 

post #115 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cante Ista View Post
 

Isolation is the same as SE535. I use (and have used for years) the tips Shure IEMs come with and have always found them comfortable. 

Yes,isolation is same.But in comfort,other models are more comfortable.

 

846 is some big.And it should not be good choice for some users.

 

For Example:Me.It hurted my ears.I didn't like the comfort of 846.

post #116 of 119

BTW, if you have the ALO Continental, you should give it a shot with these IEMs. DNA Sonett really makes them shine too, although i know it a super overkill!

post #117 of 119
Much prefer the 3003. I found the shures very uncomfortable and not nearly as revealing as the akg. Even though I consider myself a bit of a basshead I found the shure emphasis on sub bass unpleasant-too much air pressure for me. I also think a dynamic driver does bass texture way better than ba's. The shure's went straight back. So to all those 3003 owners wanting to ditch them on the basis of this review, keep in mind that tastes and preferences do vary considerably.
post #118 of 119

Anyone compare the 3003 and 846 to the Westone model? Anyway thanks very much for the nice review

post #119 of 119
First rule of headphoning is fit and comfort. If you cannot wear then anything else is moot. iem or full size. Whether a given iem fits or does not fit someone on a forum does not mean anything other than to the poster! Actually find the SE846 bigger shape easier than SE535, at expense of losing flat fit. But the bulge is similar to Heir in feel
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › A brief comparison/review of the AKG K3003i vs the Shure SE846