About the bug (for those who don't know already)
- nothing to do with encoding (unless FLAC does encode "oddly"). Tried various levels from 0-8, no difference
- I have no idea whether the bug appears with other formats and I personally don't care about mp3, ogg and the lot - this is a high res player ;-)
- is highly dependent on whether X3 is set to Gapless or not (without gapless option it nearly never happens but it still does from time to time, with gapless turned on the first or second track transition causes the freeze, where you can only "hard reset" the unit by reset button or play button pressing for >10s)
- happens on two X3 players in my "vicinity" the same way, since fw 2.1.
- Since November 2013 I can choose to revert to fw 2.05 (where it doesn't happen - so much for my "oddly encoded" files) and have either an unusable file browser due to chaos-sorting or have to click until my fingers bleed running through albums in the category mode) or turn off gapless (which I currently do, but personally I wouldn't have bought the X3(s) without the gapless feature advertised
- I checked for behavioral differences between internal flash and the TF card - happens to both in the same way.
- I wiped (and erased, yes I am capable to check "show hidden files" and "show system files" in the Explorer) the database several times - no effect on the bug.
For those who use gapless with 2.1 and don't encounter the problem: congratulations! Maybe FiiO changed something or their hardware suppliers had a bad batch of chips produced - I don't know. Hopefully they will combine the working gapless function (or let me say more stable playback routine) of 2.05 with the orderly sorting in browser mode of 2.1 and I'm satisfied. But still can't recommend the X3 (or the others) to anyone else.