Head-Fi.org › Forums › Head-Fi Special Forums › Premier Sponsor Forums and Sponsor Forums › Sponsor Forums › FiiO ›  Reply to some bugs of X3’s new firmware and new function suggestions from our end-users!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reply to some bugs of X3’s new firmware and new function suggestions from our end-users! - Page 9

post #121 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by reihead View Post


I have to disagree with you guys on the number 3.
This is related to an issue with the files and the DB, deleting the DB is a "quick fix" to a main problem that should be fixed.
Creating a function as a workaround instead of fixing the main issue is, in my opinion, not the way to go.
I agree with you long-term, but in the short-term a "quick fix" would be nice!

I'd also like to add the ability to retain memory of folder position between listening sessions instead of having to re-navigate - or am I missing something?

OR at the very least specify a folder to display on startup. For instance, I'd like to have the SD Card contents displayed on startup.
Edited by nmatheis - 1/20/14 at 12:38pm
post #122 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by reihead View Post
 

 

 

I have to disagree with you guys on the number 3.

This is related to an issue with the files and the DB, deleting the DB is a "quick fix" to a main problem that should be fixed.

Creating a function as a workaround instead of fixing the main issue is, in my opinion, not the way to go.

I think that having an option to initialize the database could be an asset if you're having problems (whether just deleting it is the way to go about it, I'm not sure). Seems to me like it would be an option to have in addition to the "reset" feature. Of course fixing the problem outright is the best solution.

As a slight aside, I've found that most of the issues have had updating the database when swapping cards can be avoided by doing an update without the card plugged in first (internal memory only)

Cheers.

post #123 of 189

I have a suggestion not really a bug report, here goes:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/651769/the-fiio-x3-thread/8085#post_10185225

 

Hope users agree with me that this will make the X3 a lot more user friendly and quicker.

post #124 of 189

is there a way in the future update to

 

1- ability to change the freq of bass and treble hard ware eq ?
2- saving the eq presets ? 
3-making play lists ?
4-when we will see the future update and what new will be in it ?

post #125 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by reihead View Post
 

 

To give more details after more use time with my X3

 

This problem keeps happening, I'm not 100% sure of the cause, but as pennylane pointed out, this seems to be related of X3 button, interface use while a track is ending or beginning. In most cases, my X3 screen and buttons become non-responsive but the music keeps playing. Of course after a few second the screen goes black and it can't be recovered since buttons are non-responsive. I don't have to reset my player. I just keep the power button pressed and the X3 goes off.

Then I turn it on again and everything is fine. 

This has happened with FLAC files, mp3 files, and a mix of both.

The frequency of this issues to occur increases by 100% if the gapless playback is enabled.

 

EDIT: Also, not 100% sure but I think if the file (mp3 or flac) does NOT has a cover image then the issue doesn't occur. 

 

If anyone has anything to add please share

 

Hope this shred some light on this very annoying issue


I had a similar problem (under similar circumstances) for the first time last night. Plugging into USB brought the screen back to life, but did not recover control. The external reset button appears to have resolved the problem for now. Until there is a firmware fix, I am considering including a paper clip in my "kit" in case it happens again.

 

Cheers... Brian

post #126 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by bms44974 View Post


I had a similar problem (under similar circumstances) for the first time last night. Plugging into USB brought the screen back to life, but did not recover control. The external reset button appears to have resolved the problem for now. Until there is a firmware fix, I am considering including a paper clip in my "kit" in case it happens again.

Cheers... Brian

It has only happened to me once, but since then I've come to include a pointy thing in my kit so that I always can reset the X3 if need be. I don't want to be without music when commuting again tongue.gif.
post #127 of 189
@FiiO: when do you think you will at least have solved the freezing-bug? Or do we have to wait for a miracle? No posts regarding X3 from your officials for ages. Guess we're abandoned...

From what I read in the X5 reviews, it still uses that incomplete interior with no database to speak of, but a nice colorful interface.

Please finally open the doors for rockbox, they obviously created some lines of code nefore. Sorry for my language, but I'm furious :-(
post #128 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItOn View Post

@FiiO: when do you think you will at least have solved the freezing-bug? Or do we have to wait for a miracle? No posts regarding X3 from your officials for ages. Guess we're abandoned...

From what I read in the X5 reviews, it still uses that incomplete interior with no database to speak of, but a nice colorful interface.

Please finally open the doors for rockbox, they obviously created some lines of code nefore. Sorry for my language, but I'm furious :-(

 

The Chinese New Years were just over. It is the longest holidays in China (over 2 weeks) and most (if not all) workers had travelled hundreds / thousands of miles back home. Many of them only got this one holidays to go home in the whole years, and a big portion might choose not to come back (which is common in China). We are talking about the displacement of thousands of thousands of workers here. It will take a month or two before all the industries get their workers back and their business up to speed. There is nothing they can do about it, except let it runs its course (and for every years!). Angry at them won't change the situation either, so be patient.

 

The firmware on X5 is totally different from X3. It is developed by a third party software company and not the same as X3, which is developed in-house.

post #129 of 189

I know about CNY. The issue is well known since release of FW2.1 (released on 2013/11/20) - slightly before CNY, imho. Since then it hasn't been much of a topic while the FiiO officials continue to post news about X5 and X1. Call me "jealous" ;-) but if I wanted to introduce two new products into the market, I would try not to "forget" the released one. It's better for all three products. Right now I can't recommend the available X3 to anyone, because of its fatal bugs and lack of a real database (-utilization). This is also nothing new. We were assured the immediate problems would be addressed and solved before the release of X5 in March 2014. Funny how time flies...

 

Regarding my comments on X5: As I said, the GUI looks nice and pretty but reading the last review I can read about its behavior which reminds me a lot on familiar flaws (such as database-style "Artists -> All Titles" and so on). So either the external company makes the same mistakes again or it's just a copy (which I very much assume). So in essence: they applied some paint over it and sell it as new, which it isn't (at least at the core).

post #130 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItOn View Post

@FiiO: when do you think you will at least have solved the freezing-bug? Or do we have to wait for a miracle? No posts regarding X3 from your officials for ages. Guess we're abandoned...

From what I read in the X5 reviews, it still uses that incomplete interior with no database to speak of, but a nice colorful interface.

Please finally open the doors for rockbox, they obviously created some lines of code nefore. Sorry for my language, but I'm furious :-(

 

I think you have every right to express your feelings.

 

I don't think we are abandoned, there is a bug list that includes both the X3 and the X5 and you can vote on the issues so they can be a priority.

 

You can find it here https://app.devzing.com/FiiO/bugzilla/

 

I have no information of when a new firmware will be released, I hope soon enough.

post #131 of 189

Now, that's great - didn't know there's a bugzilla now, thanks for the link!

post #132 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItOn View Post
 

Now, that's great - didn't know there's a bugzilla now, thanks for the link!

 

It is quite new, about a few weeks. But certainly good to see the bugs and priorities there.

post #133 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItOn View Post
 

I know about CNY. The issue is well known since release of FW2.1 (released on 2013/11/20) - slightly before CNY, imho. Since then it hasn't been much of a topic while the FiiO officials continue to post news about X5 and X1. Call me "jealous" ;-) but if I wanted to introduce two new products into the market, I would try not to "forget" the released one. It's better for all three products. Right now I can't recommend the available X3 to anyone, because of its fatal bugs and lack of a real database (-utilization). This is also nothing new. We were assured the immediate problems would be addressed and solved before the release of X5 in March 2014. Funny how time flies...

 

Regarding my comments on X5: As I said, the GUI looks nice and pretty but reading the last review I can read about its behavior which reminds me a lot on familiar flaws (such as database-style "Artists -> All Titles" and so on). So either the external company makes the same mistakes again or it's just a copy (which I very much assume). So in essence: they applied some paint over it and sell it as new, which it isn't (at least at the core).

 

Don't really know about any 'fatal' bugs in X3. I have been using it since it is out and it only gets more stable after every firmware update. In fact, mine hasn't crash since 3 firmware update ago, which is over a few months now (*provided my files are pretty well sorted to begin with). I don't want to point finger at you or suggest that X3 has a flawless firmware, but if those 'fatal' bugs keeps happening to you, over a certain files, you might want to consider there is a possibility that the problem might lie in your files instead of the player. Or maybe it is an old DB leftover from last firmware update and can be fixed by restoring the default setting / format the player. What I am trying to say is, there might be something you can do on your end to fix the problem. I know this because I used to have some oddly encoded files that will crash some DAP before (but play fine on PC). I re-encode them and now they are problem free. So it might not always be the problem of the player.

 

You also have to realize just saying 'X3 freezes' doesn't actual help the firmware team to narrow down any bugs. They need to know precisely what kind of situation that causes the freeze (for example, a certain file) before that can find out why it happens and try to fix it. If they don't know why it happens, then they will have to keep trying to make it happens again (which will not be easy if their X3 is as stable as mine) and that will take much more time.


Edited by ClieOS - 2/16/14 at 6:20am
post #134 of 189

The only time mine has "frozen" has been while playing one of the 2L test files (http://www.2l.no/). They have a number of files in a variety of formats and I can't recall exactly which one (or two) were playing at the time of the "freeze". I will go through them all again and see if there is a problematic file and will, of course, re-download to confirm that it is not just my local copy that is corrupt.

 

Cheers... Brian

post #135 of 189

About the bug (for those who don't know already)

- nothing to do with encoding (unless FLAC does encode "oddly"). Tried various levels from 0-8, no difference

- I have no idea whether the bug appears with other formats and I personally don't care about mp3, ogg and the lot - this is a high res player ;-)

- is highly dependent on whether X3 is set to Gapless or not (without gapless option it nearly never happens but it still does from time to time, with gapless turned on the first or second track transition causes the freeze, where you can only "hard reset" the unit by reset button or play button pressing for >10s)

- happens on two X3 players in my "vicinity" the same way, since fw 2.1.

- Since November 2013 I can choose to revert to fw 2.05 (where it doesn't happen - so much for my "oddly encoded" files) and have either an unusable file browser due to chaos-sorting or have to click until my fingers bleed running through albums in the category mode) or turn off gapless (which I currently do, but personally I wouldn't have bought the X3(s) without the gapless feature advertised

- I checked for behavioral differences between internal flash and the TF card - happens to both in the same way.

- I wiped (and erased, yes I am capable to check "show hidden files" and "show system files" in the Explorer) the database several times - no effect on the bug.

For those who use gapless with 2.1 and don't encounter the problem: congratulations! Maybe FiiO changed something or their hardware suppliers had a bad batch of chips produced - I don't know. Hopefully they will combine the working gapless function (or let me say more stable playback routine) of 2.05 with the orderly sorting in browser mode of 2.1 and I'm satisfied. But still can't recommend the X3 (or the others) to anyone else.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: FiiO
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Head-Fi Special Forums › Premier Sponsor Forums and Sponsor Forums › Sponsor Forums › FiiO ›  Reply to some bugs of X3’s new firmware and new function suggestions from our end-users!