Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Abbingdon Music Research DP-777 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Abbingdon Music Research DP-777 Thread - Page 5

post #61 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by froger View Post

Preproman, take your time and hope you enjoy the sound. Are you burning in 24/7? Will love to hear your thoughts soon too!

Yes, was chatting with Greed over PMs a few days ago and indeed he is enjoying the Dp-777. He actually prefers Dp-777 over his MSB Analog dac with GS-X MkII and HD800 and now he uses the MSB Analog for his speakers set-up instead.

I am sorry if it is confusing, I have never used the O2 amp with the Eximus dac. The comparison i just posted was between DP-777 through Eximus internal amp and Dp-777 through O2 amp. Previously when I compared Eximus dac and dp-777, it was through the Eximus internal amp and the Dp-777 was clearly better in most departments. I hope it clarifies.

 

How would you rank the Eximus internal amp, in absolute term?

 

I used it for the Mad Dogs 3.0 only (I only had balanced headphones, besides the MD) but it was not all that great compared to the SA-31.

Now that more efficient planar headphones are out (hello LCD-X), it might be interesting to see what the DP-1 can do standalone.

 

There's always the Audio-gd options for an all-in-one, of course.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #62 of 324

Yeah 24/7.  I'm not sure I believe in that 1000 hour burn in BS.  But I'll let it burn in as much as I can stand it.  Yeah I had a bad experience when it first came.  I had a right channel imbalnce, I sent it back, got it repaird and now it's back in the house.

post #63 of 324
Thread Starter 
I plugged my HE-6 in the Eximus amp before and compared it with my Decware Mini Torii amp. Not really a fair comparison as the HE-6 clearly benefits from strong clean current/power of the speaker amp. The fairer comparison I think is between it and the O2 amp for HD800, and the Eximus amp is much better as the O2 amp sounded so flat. But then again, O2 amp is clearly not that good an amp for HD800 as well, so I am not sure how I can rank the capability of the Eximus amp.
post #64 of 324
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Yeah 24/7.  I'm not sure I believe in that 1000 hour burn in BS.  But I'll let it burn in as much as I can stand it.  Yeah I had a bad experience when it first came.  I had a right channel imbalnce, I sent it back, got it repaird and now it's back in the house.
Ha... I did not experience that much difference 500 hours onwards. IMO, I will say once you hit the 300th hour mark, that's when you will start to enjoy the sound and the refinement should continue quite obviously to the 500th hour. Really surprised expensive Hi-fi gears can be faulty out of the box. My first Eximus DP-1 set had a faulty pre-amp function and its full volume literally made me jumped out of my seat when I switched on its power, despite turning the volume knob to minimum.
Edited by froger - 12/11/13 at 9:59am
post #65 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

Yeah 24/7.  I'm not sure I believe in that 1000 hour burn in BS.  But I'll let it burn in as much as I can stand it.  Yeah I had a bad experience when it first came.  I had a right channel imbalnce, I sent it back, got it repaird and now it's back in the house.

 

I can ease your pain: send it to me, I can do the burn-in for you and you won't have to look at it everyday :D.

I can give you the SA-2 or the Chord during the wait :p.

post #66 of 324

Ok good.  So I'll hit the 500 mark by this weekend, do some critical listening over the weekend and report back.

post #67 of 324

Since I bought mine used mine should be completely broken in or close to it. I believe the previous owner put about 300-350 on it so 150 to go for MAXIMUM IMPACT. 

 

 

Sorry about the dust, I swear I just dusted...

post #68 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post
 

Since I bought mine used mine should be completely broken in or close to it. I believe the previous owner put about 300-350 on it so 150 to go for MAXIMUM IMPACT. 

 

 

Sorry about the dust, I swear I just dusted...

 

This is california... I dust alomost every day...

Where did you buy it?

post #69 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post
 

 

This is california... I dust alomost every day...

Where did you buy it?

 

Dealer that was advertising on the gon. Crept him down with my super powers for a killer deal. :evil:

post #70 of 324

A month or so ago I had a chance to listen to the dp-777 vs the dp-777SE - which is an upgrade AMR are starting to offer (processor board swap-out).

 

I recommend they everyone here with a dp-777 at least have a demo of the upgraded version, to my ear it was well worth the cost.

 

Cheers,

 

gav.

post #71 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavtorn View Post
 

A month or so ago I had a chance to listen to the dp-777 vs the dp-777SE - which is an upgrade AMR are starting to offer (processor board swap-out).

 

I recommend they everyone here with a dp-777 at least have a demo of the upgraded version, to my ear it was well worth the cost.

 

Cheers,

 

gav.


Gav,

 

What's the price of the upgrade? And what did you hear? I assume DSD is not part of this yet.

post #72 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Beck View Post
 


Gav,

 

What's the price of the upgrade? And what did you hear? I assume DSD is not part of this yet.

I have been told the upgrade is $1k in the US.

 

No DSD yet - Apparently a future upgrade will swap out the hi res chip for a dsd capable one (leaving the classic chip installed for redbook).

 

To me it sounded a bit smoother and better bass definition, but most importantly it gave a lot more bandwith in the mid range, sounding less compressed..

post #73 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavtorn View Post
 

A month or so ago I had a chance to listen to the dp-777 vs the dp-777SE - which is an upgrade AMR are starting to offer (processor board swap-out).

 

I recommend they everyone here with a dp-777 at least have a demo of the upgraded version, to my ear it was well worth the cost.

 

Cheers,

 

gav.

 

It's funny I haven't confirmed any of these "upgrades" with AMR. Before I bought mine I asked about the upgrades both from the seller and AMR directly. The only upgrades that I have heard about is from AMR themselves and the revision they have planned come 2014. They said a MK 2 is on the horizon, no other details could be disclosed as it was too soon. Other than that they said they haven't released any "upgrades".I think most of these are mods from various retailers and distributors. Don't quote me but that is what I concluded. 

 

In any event, I would love to hear all these upgrades.

post #74 of 324

Gav,

 

Thanks. Well, I guess I will have to listen to this upgrade! If DSD is coming soon, I might wait to do both changes together.

post #75 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post
 

 

It's funny I haven't confirmed any of these "upgrades" with AMR. Before I bought mine I asked about the upgrades both from the seller and AMR directly. The only upgrades that I have heard about is from AMR themselves and the revision they have planned come 2014. They said a MK 2 is on the horizon, no other details could be disclosed as it was too soon. Other than that they said they haven't released any "upgrades".I think most of these are mods from various retailers and distributors. Don't quote me but that is what I concluded. 

 

In any event, I would love to hear all these upgrades.

There's nothing on their website either which is a bit strange.. 

 

The upgrade I have ordered is through the official AMR distributor in Aus.  He tells me he has been waiting on the new boards from AMR directly..?  There is a thread on it here.

 

I was already quite happy with the DAC, the difference between the standard and upgraded isn't small.

 

Apparently the mk2 is going to be in a different price bracket.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Abbingdon Music Research DP-777 Thread