Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Abbingdon Music Research DP-777 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Abbingdon Music Research DP-777 Thread - Page 19

post #271 of 356

Can the CD-77 accept digital input, at all?

post #272 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonyfirst View Post
 

Can the CD-77 accept digital input, at all?

yes.  SPDIF & USB.

post #273 of 356

Another DP-777 for sale in my town - at a bargain price.

 

Have any DP-777 owners upgraded and found their upgraded DAC beat DP-777 by miles? Seriously considering DP-777 if it will beat most contenders. 

post #274 of 356
Get it.

Worth every penny, at bargain prices even more so. If it was in Europe I'd get myself a second one, just because I like it so much.

No news on the upgrade front, seems like.... Should have been April, but then...they didn't say which year.biggrin.gif
Edited by 3daudio - 5/10/14 at 1:55am
post #275 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by lojay View Post
 

Another DP-777 for sale in my town - at a bargain price.

 

Have any DP-777 owners upgraded and found their upgraded DAC beat DP-777 by miles? Seriously considering DP-777 if it will beat most contenders. 

 

IMO it's in a different league than the Emo from the very brief listen I had with the Stealth DC-1.

post #276 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3daudio View Post

No news on the upgrade front, seems like.... Should have been April, but then...they didn't say which year.biggrin.gif

I spoke to Darren Censullo, the US distributor of AMR, at the AXPONA show a couple of weeks ago. He told me that the DP-777 upgrade should be available very soon, in May. I assume he meant 2014 but I didn't press him wink.gif

I asked him again if it would be available to DIY'ers as a kit for installation at home, and he reiterated that it should be, as long as a person can solder. I, for one, would not want to be without my beloved DAC for even a few days!
post #277 of 356
Gosh I am so close to pulling the trigger. I am eyeing TWO local sales of DP-777s.

Has anyone compared the 777s with a top end Esoteric DAC, etc? Would it lose much of the resolution of say the Benchmark DAC2 HGC?
post #278 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by lojay View Post

Gosh I am so close to pulling the trigger. I am eyeing TWO local sales of DP-777s.

Has anyone compared the 777s with a top end Esoteric DAC, etc? Would it lose much of the resolution of say the Benchmark DAC2 HGC?


Let me tell you what I think. In my eyes DP-777 isn't too much detail oriented, but very musical (in vast understanding what musicality is) DAC to have. Therefore I'd pair it with detail oriented loudspeakers and headphones, and that's I'm going to do in two or three weeks, since I own HD 800 and KEF LS50. OK, I also have LCD-2, but my guess is that with CMA800R and DP-777, my HD 800 will perform much better than those Audeze's. Hence, it's all about synergy in my book. And IF I had to guess, my guess is that Benchmark brick is more detailed than DP-777, dunno about Esoteric.

post #279 of 356
I would have subscribed to this just a few weeks ago. But not anymore. With a better source there are details abundant with this DAC, while keeping its strong musicality and tonality.

It's all there with MQn. This DAC or any other for that matter will play in a different league with a good Software player.

No garbage in, delicious food out.
post #280 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by lojay View Post
 

Another DP-777 for sale in my town - at a bargain price.

 

Have any DP-777 owners upgraded and found their upgraded DAC beat DP-777 by miles? Seriously considering DP-777 if it will beat most contenders. 

I have the upgraded model.  It's far better than the original.

post #281 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavtorn View Post
 

I have the upgraded model.  It's far better than the original.

So tell us more about it!

I am very impatient even though I am going to the Munich Hi End and listen to it!

 

Did you make the upgrade yourself? You have also the DSD?

post #282 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by simomat View Post
 

So tell us more about it!

I am very impatient even though I am going to the Munich Hi End and listen to it!

 

Did you make the upgrade yourself? You have also the DSD?

I think I put some comments in this thread already - but there are a lot more on Stereonet (aussie forum) The upgrade was released here before the US..

 

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/57435-amr-dp-777-dac-upgrade/

 

The distributor swapped the board for me - no DSD, personally I don't have any DSD files so unless DSD becomes mainstream I wont bother.  I even down sample PCM hi res (one of the functions of the 777) so that it plays on the "classic dac" rather than the his res dac as it sounds better to my ears :)  Apparently the caps + tubes should be released as an upgrade in Aus soon.

 

Cheers,

 

gav.

post #283 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavtorn View Post
 

I think I put some comments in this thread already - but there are a lot more on Stereonet (aussie forum) The upgrade was released here before the US..

 

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/57435-amr-dp-777-dac-upgrade/

 

The distributor swapped the board for me - no DSD, personally I don't have any DSD files so unless DSD becomes mainstream I wont bother.  I even down sample PCM hi res (one of the functions of the 777) so that it plays on the "classic dac" rather than the his res dac as it sounds better to my ears :)  Apparently the caps + tubes should be released as an upgrade in Aus soon.

 

Cheers,

 

gav.

Thank you gav. After long listening section and comparing Hi-res files versus CD's quality I usuallly prefer the CD maybe because of the "classic dac"! In fact you gave me a nice idea to play all files with the bit-perfect II filter.

 

DSD is said to be - and heard myself - a different story than Hi-res PCM, combining the best of both worlds. Something for the future indeed, due to lack of available files!

 

I believe AMR at the Monaco Hi-end will have on show the full SE version which should have the new Quad Core Digital Engine, NOS GE 5670 Tubes, and "Ultra Premium" coupling capacitors (maybe even DSD) all in one package. 

 

Well I just have to wait 4 more days to find out...

 

Cheers

post #284 of 356

I went to the Monaco Hi End to listen to the new DP-777 SE and just looked at it! According to AMR the SE version is not ready yet and will be available soon. So disappointed.

We need to wait a little bit longer.

post #285 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by simomat View Post

I went to the Monaco Hi End to listen to the new DP-777 SE and just looked at it! According to AMR the SE version is not ready yet and will be available soon. So disappointed.
We need to wait a little bit longer.
Any other nice bits of gear on show in Monaco?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Abbingdon Music Research DP-777 Thread