Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › How to reduce or eliminate EMI sound / noise in Portable amp ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to reduce or eliminate EMI sound / noise in Portable amp ?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Hi Folks,

I just got Fiio E12 as my second portable amp, previously I'm using Fiio E11 and have no issue with the EMI beeping noise ?

My current portable gear on the go is iPhone 5 --normal line out cable from Fiio--> Fiio E12 ---> Westone 4R IEM, I clip my iPhone and Fiio E12 amp with the rubber band together.

what is the best way to reduce the EMI noise ? the EMI noise still present even when I'm not charging both my Iphone and Fiio amp.
post #2 of 10

Yeah the E12 is crazy susceptible to EMI. I don't think there's much you can really do about it unless you turn on the airplane mode on your iPhone.

post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Mice,

That does make sense, somehow when I'm not using it with my iPhone, I use the Line Out cable from the laptop into E12, there was no EMI, but as soon as I plugged in the USB cable to charge it while listening to it, I can hear the EMI.

For a quiet music the EMI effect is quite annoying, but it is inaudible when listening to loud music.
post #4 of 10

Would a LOD for your iPhone5 help to reduce the EMI?

post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem View Post

Would a LOD for your iPhone5 help to reduce the EMI?

THanks man for the reply, but LOD for iPhone 5 is not that I heard of ?
post #6 of 10
If my memory serves me right, there's a adaptor that can be used for this purpose. But let's see if any of the more experienced head-fiers cam weigh in on the matter, especially those who use their phones as a portable source..
post #7 of 10

Unless you physically shield the E12 from your Iphone (totally impractical) or use it in airplane mode I'd suspect this interference is always going to exist.

However, as Artem points out, there is a relatively inexpensive USB isolator device which uses an ADUM4160 isolator chip which will remove EMI/Groundloop, protect the E12 from ESD etc etc, while charging using your laptops USB connection.

See- http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=122 for details


Edited by Ari33 - 9/18/13 at 3:39am
post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari33 View Post

Unless you physically shield the E12 from your Iphone (totally impractical) or use it in airplane mode I'd suspect this interference is always going to exist.
However, as Artem points out, there is a relatively inexpensive USB isolator device which uses an ADUM4160 isolator chip which will remove EMI/Groundloop, protect the E12 from ESD etc etc, while charging using your laptops USB connection.
See- http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=122 for details

Thanks for the reply Ari, this device looks a good / partial solution to be used during the charging, but won't be much help if the amp and my iPhone is used while on the go.
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSantana View Post


Thanks for the reply Ari, this device looks a good / partial solution to be used during the charging, but won't be much help if the amp and my iPhone is used while on the go.

 

Yep, unfortunately the only other option is to find an Amp that is less susceptible to suffering from EMI... a few of the multi amp reviews on here do mention how prone these amps are to it.

 

The EMI/Amp issue was also discussed at length here- http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review/1785


Edited by Ari33 - 9/18/13 at 5:20am
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari33 View Post

Yep, unfortunately the only other option is to find an Amp that is less susceptible to suffering from EMI... a few of the multi amp reviews on here do mention how prone these amps are to it.

The EMI/Amp issue was also discussed at length here- http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review/1785

Exactly, the only option for me on the go for now is to plug in long cable and put the amp in different pocket :-o :mad:it is less than ideal but it will do for now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › How to reduce or eliminate EMI sound / noise in Portable amp ?