Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Question about headphones amps in home theater receivers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Question about headphones amps in home theater receivers

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Generally speaking, are the headphone amps in receivers good quality?  I'm probably going to get a receiver for $200-300 and I want to use my headphones with it at night when I can't use the speakers.  Thanks!


Edited by jonny900 - 9/13/13 at 4:33pm
post #2 of 8

Personally I like plugging my headphones into my Yamaha RX-V671 A/V receiver.

I would recommend headphone with a high impedance, like 100-Ohms or higher (62-Ohm AKG K7XX series should be ok too).

What headphone(s) do you have?

post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

Personally I like plugging my headphones into my Yamaha RX-V671 A/V receiver.

I would recommend headphone with a high impedance, like 100-Ohms or higher (62-Ohm AKG K7XX series should be ok too).

What headphone(s) do you have?

 

I have Audio Technica ATH-AD700s.  I think they're pretty low impedance.

post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny900 View Post
 

 

I have Audio Technica ATH-AD700s.  I think they're pretty low impedance.

A receiver and it's high impedance headphone jack is the last thing you would want to buy

to drive the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 32-Ohm headphones.

The ATH-AD700s need a low output impedance (like 4-Ohms or less) to sound their best.

A $50 portable mp3 player is a better choice for use with the AD700s.

post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

A receiver and it's high impedance headphone jack is the last thing you would want to buy

to drive the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 32-Ohm headphones.

The ATH-AD700s need a low output impedance (like 4-Ohms or less) to sound their best.

A $50 portable mp3 player is a better choice for use with the AD700s.

 

Hmm.  Why did they come with a 1/4" adapter then if they aren't meant to be used with amplifiers?

post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny900 View Post
 

Generally speaking, are the headphone amps in receivers good quality?  I'm probably going to get a receiver for $200-300 and I want to use my headphones with it at night when I can't use the speakers.  Thanks!

 

Heya,

 

They're ok. Often better than cheap portable players. They have plenty of power behind them. No issue there. The problem is matching impedances. The output impedance of headphone jacks are generally undisclosed in the manual, so you have no idea what it is. But as a rule of thumb, it's generally higher, so think 10ohms or so as a safety point when you can't find the real information. That means for proper matching, you'll want to use headphones with impedances that are higher. That doesn't mean it will sound awful if you don't. This is merely the sound science stuff talking. Generally speaking, I've plugged my lower impedance headphones into receivers and it sounded great. Was it as crisp, black background, no hiss, and energetic as a really good headphone amp? Not quite. But it's close enough that if you're not doing serious critical listening, then it's fine.

 

I see you're simply looking for a way to use a receiver that you already plan to buy for stuff, to power headphones at night when speakers are no longer an option. Receivers are excellent for this and it's why they all have headphone jacks.

 

For headphones, I think Yamaha makes some really good receivers that have silent cinema for headphones. Great way to go if you want to cover all bases.

 

It'll work fine with any of your headphones. Again, don't let sound science make you think you need to spend more money, as you don't.

 

Very best,

post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 


Thanks for the responses guys.  So it seems like I'll get good quality but not the best quality when using headphones.  Just wanted to make sure before I buy anything!

 

 

 

post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny900 View Post
 

Hmm.  Why did they come with a 1/4" adapter then if they aren't meant to be used with amplifiers?

The AD700s can be used with amplifiers (I'm assuming you mean receivers).

For the 25 cents is cost to include the 1/4" adapter in the AD700s box, it can help sell the AD700s.

My Essence STX sound card has a 1/4" headphone jack and it's 10-ohm impedance is way lower then any receiver's headphone output jack.

I would guess (?) a receiver could have anywhere from 50-Ohm to 150-Ohm output impedance.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Question about headphones amps in home theater receivers