Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › EarSonics S-EM6 Six driver universal IEM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

EarSonics S-EM6 Six driver universal IEM - Page 2

post #16 of 604

I'm curious but not $1300 curious.  The JH13 is already teaching me about the law of diminishing returns.

post #17 of 604

There is already thread on the subject:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680350/earsonics-custom-universal-comng#post_9801606

 

Maybe the mods could merge them...

post #18 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranhieu View Post
 

As far as I can see from the teaser photos there's not much innovation going on, at least in acoustical aspects. Some common 2xCI in series and 2xTWFK in parallel, dual tubing config and a popular acrylic shell. Most if not all >1k$ models we've had so far utilize all sort of crazy and creative ideas, 2x Helmholtz resonator from Sennheiser, acoustical multi-layer low-pass filter from Shure, some patented tech from AKG, titanium plated acoustical horn from FitEar etc.

 

EarSonics's better reveal if there's anything interesting with their new toy to justify its hi-end-ish price. I heard the demo of the EM6 and my expectations weren't met unfortunately. 

 

It seems like a universal version of the EM6. How did the EM6 sound ?

post #19 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post
 

 

It seems like a universal version of the EM6. How did the EM6 sound ?

In a nutshell it's your typical EarSonics house sound, though it resembles the sm64 more than the predecessors. Very detailed, sparkling, nicely extended treble without getting harsh at all. However mids are quite recessed, especially its low mids. Bass is just so so with more emphasis on the mid bass, either that masks the sub bass or the lows actually rolls off early I don't know, but there wasn't much sub bass I could hear at that time. Overall the EM6 has nice sound stage, though it might get quite artificial at times due to the recessed mids. Imaging is a bit sub par also due to the lack of low mids and upper bass, as well as sub bass. Note that I always stay at low to moderate volume so my impression might deviate from those listened at loud volume.

 

Will it improve with an amp and a better source than my lowly Ipod touch 4? Will the custom version a big step up from the demo (with deep insertion, my ears are fairly big so it's not hard to reach the 1st bend)? No idea, but all the FitEar's I tried (Parterre, TG334, 335 demo) wiped the floor with it.

post #20 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranhieu View Post

In a nutshell it's your typical EarSonics house sound, though it resembles the sm64 more than the predecessors. Very detailed, sparkling, nicely extended treble without getting harsh at all. However mids are quite recessed, especially its low mids. Bass is just so so with more emphasis on the mid bass, either that masks the sub bass or the lows actually rolls off early I don't know, but there wasn't much sub bass I could hear at that time. Overall the EM6 has nice sound stage, though it might get quite artificial at times due to the recessed mids. Imaging is a bit sub par also due to the lack of low mids and upper bass, as well as sub bass. Note that I always stay at low to moderate volume so my impression might deviate from those listened at loud volume.

Will it improve with an amp and a better source than my lowly Ipod touch 4? Will the custom version a big step up from the demo (with deep insertion, my ears are fairly big so it's not hard to reach the 1st bend)? No idea, but all the FitEar's I tried (Parterre, TG334, 335 demo) wiped the floor with it.
Recessed mids 0.0 interesting, that's not how I heard the em6 demo when I auditioned it at Jaben, it sounded rather mid forward to me and by far, had the best vocals out of any iem I have tried, though the treble sounded quite interesting, it was fairly bassy. Not the most transparent iem but definitely very nice to listen to. If I had the money I wld buy the customs XD I really liked the vocals when I demoed the em6, interesting how its mid recessed to you XD
post #21 of 604

^ You tried the SM64 before? If you find the SM64's mids alright then EM6 would sound forward based on what I heard that time. The EM6 definitely has rounder mids than the SM64, which is notorious for its lack of upper mids and lower treble, but it's still far from being forward to me. 

post #22 of 604

Only 6 drivers per shell? That's quite a disappointment — I'd have easily been prepared to pay 1,200€ - 1,500€ for a universal with at least 8, or preferably 10, drivers per shell.

post #23 of 604

I've ordered a pair. I'll be able to provide some impressions on these compared to other "universal customs" like the 1Plus2 and FitEars. Plus some other high-end universals (K3003, Finals, IE800, etc.). Don't have the Shure SE846 yet tho.

 

 

NOTE: At check out I noticed my price was closer to 800 EUR with shipping. It seems they're giving discounts to the first orders?


Edited by MuppetFace - 9/14/13 at 1:34am
post #24 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post
 

I've ordered a pair. I'll be able to provide some impressions on these compared to other "universal customs" like the 1Plus2 and FitEars. Plus some other high-end universals (K3003, Finals, IE800, etc.). Don't have the Shure SE846 yet tho.

 

 

NOTE: At check out I noticed my price was closer to 800 EUR with shipping. It seems they're giving discounts to the first orders?

 

Seems to me they're simply deducting EU / French tax for orders outside the EU.

post #25 of 604

I'm not sure how French taxes work.

 

No I didn't really buy a pair. If I had 1257.51 USD to blow I'd spent them on unicorn figurines.

post #26 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post
 

 

Seems to me they're simply deducting EU / French tax for orders outside the EU.

 

 

Ah, okay.

 

I'm used to MSRPs not including tax and then adding it on at check out, not the other way 'round, but it makes for a pleasant surprise I must admit.

post #27 of 604
They are breaking the market with this like the new vsonic iems very cheap and with one year earsonics warranty wow, anyway looks good
Edited by Kurdt-bada - 9/14/13 at 3:12am
post #28 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranhieu View Post
 

In a nutshell it's your typical EarSonics house sound, though it resembles the sm64 more than the predecessors. Very detailed, sparkling, nicely extended treble without getting harsh at all. However mids are quite recessed, especially its low mids. Bass is just so so with more emphasis on the mid bass, either that masks the sub bass or the lows actually rolls off early I don't know, but there wasn't much sub bass I could hear at that time. Overall the EM6 has nice sound stage, though it might get quite artificial at times due to the recessed mids. Imaging is a bit sub par also due to the lack of low mids and upper bass, as well as sub bass. Note that I always stay at low to moderate volume so my impression might deviate from those listened at loud volume.

 

Will it improve with an amp and a better source than my lowly Ipod touch 4? Will the custom version a big step up from the demo (with deep insertion, my ears are fairly big so it's not hard to reach the 1st bend)? No idea, but all the FitEar's I tried (Parterre, TG334, 335 demo) wiped the floor with it.

 

Thanks a lot very interesting. I am used to great bass with nice low bass rumble so these probably would sound lacking to me.

post #29 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post
 

 

Thanks a lot very interesting. I am used to great bass with nice low bass rumble so these probably would sound lacking to me.

 

If you like the SM64 there's a high chance you will like the EM6 as well.

post #30 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranhieu View Post
 

 

If you like the SM64 there's a high chance you will like the EM6 as well.

Even though I am French I have never tried an earsonics IEM :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › EarSonics S-EM6 Six driver universal IEM