Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Two new HifiMan players announced: HM700 and HM802
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Two new HifiMan players announced: HM700 and HM802 - Page 7

post #91 of 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

If we were to disregard the fact the HM700 isn't capable of anything beyond 16/48, I'll say it drives the stock balanced RE400 noticeably better than X3 (even the mod'ed X3) and DX50. It doesn't have a fancy DAC  / SoC / interface / feature list, but the amp section is a killer.


god... i really need to stop reading head-fi ... have u tried other higher end balanced c/iem or portable phones with the 700? how does the 700 perform ?

post #92 of 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

I won't say it sounds identical to HM801, but it is closer than any DAP I have heard. It is slightly less textured than what I have remembered of HM801, but a little better on clarity. Overall, I'll say they are on par and both can be referred as being musical sounding.

thank you ClieOS for the explanation,we would see if this would be my endgame dap or would I have to search a bit more

post #93 of 334
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post
 


god... i really need to stop reading head-fi ... have u tried other higher end balanced c/iem or portable phones with the 700? how does the 700 perform ?

 

My LCM-5 isn't balanced so I didn't bother, but I did try balanced RE600 and RE272. They didn't scale up as much as RE400 (probably because HM700 is tuned with RE400 in mind), but they still sound excellent nonetheless. While 700 can drive most single ended dynamic IEM just fine, it can sound noisy with some single ended multi-driver BA because of the balanced amp section. I think Hifiman is working out a list of IEM that won't get affected by this issue (or maybe they are working on an adapter? Not too sure). But it is probably safer to use the balanced output as it intended.


Edited by ClieOS - 11/20/13 at 2:27am
post #94 of 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

If we were to disregard the fact the HM700 isn't capable of anything beyond 16/48, I'll say it drives the stock balanced RE400 noticeably better than X3 (even the mod'ed X3) and DX50. It doesn't have a fancy DAC  / SoC / interface / feature list, but the amp section is a killer.

Really? Do you think it is on par or better than Hm601/601le? I'm trying to make my final decision between Hm700 and Hm601/601le? Thank you. 

 

Btw, I'll be using it with my Re0s and Sf5vi.


Edited by ozkan - 11/20/13 at 2:32am
post #95 of 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

My LCM-5 isn't balanced so I didn't bother, but I did try balanced RE600 and RE272. They didn't scale up as much as RE400 (probably because HM700 is tuned with RE400 in mind), but they still sound excellent nonetheless. While 700 can drive most single ended dynamic IEM just fine, it can sound noisy with some single ended multi-driver BA because of the balanced amp section. I think Hifiman is working out a list of IEM that won't get affected by this issue (or maybe they are working on an adapter? Not too sure). But it is probably safer to use the balanced output as it intended.

Thanks for your valuable input as always.
post #96 of 334
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkan View Post
 

Really? Do you think it is on par or better than Hm601/601le? I'm trying to make my final decision between Hm700 and Hm601/601le? Thank you. 

 

Btw, I'll be using it with my Re0s and Sf5vi.

 

I believe the design goal of HM700 is to have a DAP that can replace HM60x series. They are doing well in that regard. RE0 should be fine, but I don't have SF5vi to tell you anything about it. Remember that a balanced RE400 is already included.

post #97 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 

DX50 sounds exceptionally lean to my ears, so just about every DAP is going to be warmer than DX50, even Nano 7G. A better comparison will be the stock X3. But X3 is warm to the dull side, while HM802 is warm but musical. I think it is safe for me to say HM802 easily beat both X3 and DX50.

 

 

I really liked my DX50 when I had it, but it was the first player where I ever ventured in to the EQ and actually found I could improve the sound, to my ears. Most players, I mess with the EQ and I make it worse. 

post #98 of 334

My HM700 combo and HE400 with balance cable is on the way, hopefully the tiny HM700 can handle HE400.

post #99 of 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopro View Post
 

My HM700 combo and HE400 with balance cable is on the way, hopefully the tiny HM700 can handle HE400.

Where did you buy it? Can you please share the link? 

post #100 of 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkan View Post
 

Where did you buy it? Can you please share the link? 

 

I bought from the Chinese Ebay - Taobao, they do accept visa/master card but they don't ship to north america, so you have to find a package forwarding service. 
I went thru all the trouble only because the had a one day sale on HE400, now you can just grab one for $300 on Black Friday and wait for the Global launch of HM700.

post #101 of 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

I believe the design goal of HM700 is to have a DAP that can replace HM60x series. They are doing well in that regard. RE0 should be fine, but I don't have SF5vi to tell you anything about it. Remember that a balanced RE400 is already included.

what if i have the normal RE400, will it work the same way as RE400B without any changes?

post #102 of 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobandroid View Post
 

what if i have the normal RE400, will it work the same way as RE400B without any changes?

No, it won't I guess. RE400B will benefit more than the standart ones from the balanced output of the HM700.

post #103 of 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkan View Post
 

No, it won't I guess. RE400B will benefit more than the standart ones from the balanced output of the HM700.

yeah i figured it should be that way, the seller advertised the RE400B as an RE400, and offer discounted price if not taking the RE400. I think he didnt realise it's a RE400B

post #104 of 334
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobandroid View Post
 

what if i have the normal RE400, will it work the same way as RE400B without any changes?

 

No, unfortunately you do need to have the balanced RE400 to take advantage of the amp section. Normal RE400 will just sound, well, normal.

post #105 of 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

No, unfortunately you do need to have the balanced RE400 to take advantage of the amp section. Normal RE400 will just sound, well, normal.

RM799 for early bird, and RM899 for the rest seems like a good deal here, should I go for it? I cant fill up that 32GB anyways cause I have only a few highly favorable music only, the rest in PC meditating

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Two new HifiMan players announced: HM700 and HM802