New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Korean Thread! - Page 3

post #31 of 198
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyoo View Post
 

 

Word. Maybe I'll just order one since it's not too expensive.

 

Never in my life will I ever teach English at a hakwon again! The little kids just suck the life out of me. Now I really enjoyed teaching kids that actually want to be there and learn. The other kids I swear are demon summoners or demon possessed or demons themselves.

 

Where do you teach now? Hakwons are a very interesting things that is rather distinct to Asia.

Anyways, I guess I might have been a demon to my teachers? JK. I was a good student.

post #32 of 198

Just really miss stuff in the states like Chipotle, Fudruckers, Waffle House, Five Guys and all those American steak houses....the list goes on. You will never find anything like that in Korea. And even if you do it's not nearly as good and it's more expensive. But I like East Asian food a lot more. Especially Thai food, Indian curry, Singaporean food, Uzbek grill. Oh so good. Really really hard to find a places that make it legit and taste authentic.

post #33 of 198
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyoo View Post
 

Just really miss stuff in the states like Chipotle, Fudruckers, Waffle House, Five Guys and all those American steak houses....the list goes on. You will never find anything like that in Korea. And even if you do it's not nearly as good and it's more expensive. But I like East Asian food a lot more. Especially Thai food, Indian curry, Singaporean food, Uzbek grill. Oh so good. Really really hard to find a places that make it legit and taste authentic.

 

Lol. Big fan of Five Guys. Too bad they don't have one around my school. 

 

From my memory, there is no place that does American food authentically. Burgers are good though. Kraze burger has some serious burgers. I feel bad for my self right now. Stuck in a dorm room. Maybe I'll go out to town tomorrow for Thai food(Americanized AKA ultra sweet).

post #34 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post
 

 

Where do you teach now? Hakwons are a very interesting things that is rather distinct to Asia.

Anyways, I guess I might have been a demon to my teachers? JK. I was a good student.

 

Oh I haven't taught English in a really long time. Right now I'm working at a design agency that makes ads for KIA Motors.

post #35 of 198
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyoo View Post
 

 

Oh I haven't taught English in a really long time. Right now I'm working at a design agency that makes ads for KIA Motors.

 

Thats really cool. Glad you're enjoying your life. BTW, if you want more info on T-PEOS iems, you should check out Seeko because they got some good reviews of entry level T-PEOS.

post #36 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post
 

 

Lol. Big fan of Five Guys. Too bad they don't have one around my school. 

 

From my memory, there is no place that does American food authentically. Burgers are good though. Kraze burger has some serious burgers. I feel bad for my self right now. Stuck in a dorm room. Maybe I'll go out to town tomorrow for Thai food(Americanized AKA ultra sweet).

 

There's a lot of decent American food at Itaewon and couple of small places in Gangnam. Yeah I like Kraze burger, but they're really small if you compare them to you know full sized American style grilled burgers.

post #37 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post
 

 

Thats really cool. Glad you're enjoying your life. BTW, if you want more info on T-PEOS iems, you should check out Seeko because they got some good reviews of entry level T-PEOS.

 

Alrite cool I'll check it out. Thx!

post #38 of 198
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyoo View Post
 

 

There's a lot of decent American food at Itaewon and couple of small places in Gangnam. Yeah I like Kraze burger, but they're really small if you compare them to you know full sized American style grilled burgers.

 

What are some good places in Gangnam? I live at gangnam! Itaewon is indeed a good place for food.

 

Kraze burger is small. Normally, one grilled burger in US fills me up, but Kraze burger doesn't fill me up. I need to get a side as well. I guess Korean serving sizes are small though.

post #39 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post
 

 

What are some good places in Gangnam? I live at gangnam! Itaewon is indeed a good place for food.

 

Kraze burger is small. Normally, one grilled burger in US fills me up, but Kraze burger doesn't fill me up. I need to get a side as well. I guess Korean serving sizes are small though.

 

There's a real decent pizza place up that alley behind CGV in Gangnam called Brick Oven New York Pizzeria. There's a decent Indian restaurant and mexican restaurant in that same alley.

post #40 of 198
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyoo View Post
 

 

There's a real decent pizza place up that alley behind CGV in Gangnam called Brick Oven New York Pizzeria. There's a decent Indian restaurant and mexican restaurant in that same alley.

 

By CGV in gangnam, do you mean Cinecity CGV?

post #41 of 198
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyoo View Post
 

 

There's a real decent pizza place up that alley behind CGV in Gangnam called Brick Oven New York Pizzeria. There's a decent Indian restaurant and mexican restaurant in that same alley.

 

By CGV in gangnam, do you mean Cinecity CGV?

post #42 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post
 

 

By CGV in gangnam, do you mean Cinecity CGV?

 

The CGV theatre between gangnam and shinnonhyun station. If you type 브릭오븐 in Naver it'll show up :)

post #43 of 198

got some monkfish for cheap, making agu jjim tonight. never had it before so it will be interesting!

 

really would love to visit Seoul some time. seems like a lot of fun to do there.

 

since you guys are on about local food, curious if there is any non-Korean food that is very popular over there right now. like in Japan, they tend to make certain foods very trendy for a while. (a lot of American food especially)

 

update: agu jjim has been consumed. it was delicious.

 

update2: does korea have any keitai type phones or is that a japanese thing only?

or any brands/makes that are great that aren't known to people outside of Korea?


Edited by munchzilla - 10/1/13 at 9:00pm
post #44 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchzilla View Post
 

got some monkfish for cheap, making agu jjim tonight. never had it before so it will be interesting!

 

really would love to visit Seoul some time. seems like a lot of fun to do there.

 

since you guys are on about local food, curious if there is any non-Korean food that is very popular over there right now. like in Japan, they tend to make certain foods very trendy for a while. (a lot of American food especially)

 

update: agu jjim has been consumed. it was delicious.

 

update2: does korea have any keitai type phones or is that a japanese thing only?

or any brands/makes that are great that aren't known to people outside of Korea?

 

What I don't like about non-Korean food in Korea is that they take it for example Indian curry and make it so that it fits the tastes of Korean people. The restaurants claim they serve authentic Indian, Thai, Italian, whatever type of food in their restaurants but it is far from being 100% authentic because it is run by Koreans with Korean "chefs" to serve to the majority Korean people. You usually have to look for restaurants that are run by non-Koreans in order to get the 100% of the authenticity that you want. I guess that's the trend. The only foods that might taste similar to the ones in the US are places like McDonalds, Quiznos, Outback Steakhouse and such. When I look for non-Korea food, I stay away from chain restaurants and try to look for those small family owned restaurants. They tasted the best in my experience.

 

Oh yeah, come to think about it, I think Japanese style food might be the trend. There's a lot of Japanese style pork cutlet, sushi restaurants, Japanese style ramen restaurants, and Japanese style pubs with Sake and the sort.

 

Do you mean keitai type phones as in like a flip phone? Just a couple years back there were a lot of phones that never left Korea like Sky and Ever and Sky smartphones are still around under the name of Vega made by a company called Pantech. I personally am not too fond of Korean phones so I use an HTC. Unfortunately, Korea's HTC branch closed down about 2 years ago so I had to get mine overseas. Using it fine here unlocked in Korea though. Yeah so Vega is the only one I can think of right now and the latest one they made is called the Vega Iron and Vega R3. There are a couple Samsung and LG phones that are only sold in Korea as well. Btw, if you get something like the Galaxy S4 in Korea, it has a different cpu than the one in the states. S4 in Korea has a exynos octacore while the one sold in the states is a snapdragon quadcore. Same phone different cpu.


Edited by jonyoo - 10/1/13 at 9:33pm
post #45 of 198

ah yes that I am very well aware of how it happens, I was actually thinking more of the Koreanized stuff. like, not the cheap 'watered down' versions but actually modern tasty stuff. :P

are you familiar with chef David Chang, for example? he made Korean food but more modern and more fitting to the american palate, and it's really really good and inspiring.

there are some places in Japan doing French-inspired food (technique wise and such) but using Japanese ingredients.

currently, I'm sort of under the impression there is not even 'modern' Korean food over in Korea! :o like what these hip cool chef guys are doing all over North America and Europe.

 

never heard of those phones, that's cool. not sure I like them though, I was just sort of being optimistic about maybe finding a neat phone as I am looking to get a new one soon.

but I really have a hard time liking the Android OS and most phones are just huge. only two companies seem to make Windows Phone 8 phones that don't suck as well...

so I will have to keep looking, was just doing a hopeful shot in the dark seeing if something might surprise me. got too many criteria for what I want it seems. :D

though if anyone else knows, no korean phones come with physical keyboards?

 

did not know that the Korean version had a different CPU either. is it faster or just more cores? still pretty impressive.

 

thanks!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home