or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Korean Thread! - Page 13

post #181 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post
 

Hmm depends on what kind of drama you want. You can have messed up ones(which are typically hilarious), or some really serious ones. Lol.

any is fine - name one of each if you'd like! :D

post #182 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchzilla View Post
 

any is fine - name one of each if you'd like! :D

Sorry, I can't get in to any Korean TV programs, dramas, reality shows, anything. They just get me angry all the time I don't know why lol.

post #183 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikoLayer View Post
 

dammit, looks like I missed out on the Mofi show or whatever that was called. This is what happens when you take an... extended break from head-fi. I will be sure to keep checking back on this thread time to time so I won't miss the next event like that hah

This was an article I found on this past MOFI show and there I was sitting bottom right lol. Sneaky sneaky photographers.

post #184 of 236
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchzilla View Post
 

any is fine - name one of each if you'd like! :D

Lol. I know lots of my non-korean friends enjoyed iris a lot.

post #185 of 236
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyoo View Post
 

This was an article I found on this past MOFI show and there I was sitting bottom right lol. Sneaky sneaky photographers.

I'm so jealous! I wish I could've made it. On the side note, I did get a IM03 while I was in Korea.

post #186 of 236

Heirs was disappointingly dreck. Was very excited up until they got to the school part in Korea. It embodies a lot of the cheesy qualities of K-dramas, but in a terribly executed way. It was also disappointing in that, while the writer is well-known for prioritizing style and glitz over substance, she really missed the mark this time. It started to get offensive around EP9, and I couldn't finish it without fast-forwarding a good way through afterwards. Dramabeans has some very good critiques in the summary parts within the recaps.

 

It's harder to do melodramas these days, and especially springy youth-culture-integrated melodramas, for whatever reason. Perhaps it's that the formula had been perfected a long time ago. There have been various executions that stands out as being brilliant in midst of all of the trite shows and anything new is invitably compared to these classic and will typically not hold a candle to them.

 

This isn't to say that there's been a massive decline in ability to produce good melos though. You Who Came From the Stars, while tacky, is technically doing all the right things, hitting all the right marks, and you gotta give them props on that.

 

They are also doing really well with less melodrama-centric shows these days. Cute, bubbly stuff; suspenseful stuff; artsy-fartsy stuff (though they've always excelled in that regard). This isn't reflective of any changes in my tastes though, I just enjoyed a re-watch marathon of Love Story at Harvard not so long ago.

 

I'm re-watching Personal Taste which has Lee Min-Ho in it as well. It's not particular strong in substance, but the cutesy, bubbly chemistry and dialogue with Son Ye-Jin (and I admit, she's really the reason why I'm rewatching it in the first place) is tiding me through.

post #187 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post
 

I'm so jealous! I wish I could've made it. On the side note, I did get a IM03 while I was in Korea.

Really?! I had a chance to try out all 4 and personally liked the 01 and 02 over the 03 and 04.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post
 

Heirs was disappointingly dreck. Was very excited up until they got to the school part in Korea. It embodies a lot of the cheesy qualities of K-dramas, but in a terribly executed way. It was also disappointing in that, while the writer is well-known for prioritizing style and glitz over substance, she really missed the mark this time. It started to get offensive around EP9, and I couldn't finish it without fast-forwarding a good way through afterwards. Dramabeans has some very good critiques in the summary parts within the recaps.

 

It's harder to do melodramas these days, and especially springy youth-culture-integrated melodramas, for whatever reason. Perhaps it's that the formula had been perfected a long time ago. There have been various executions that stands out as being brilliant in midst of all of the trite shows and anything new is invitably compared to these classic and will typically not hold a candle to them.

 

This isn't to say that there's been a massive decline in ability to produce good melos though. You Who Came From the Stars, while tacky, is technically doing all the right things, hitting all the right marks, and you gotta give them props on that.

 

They are also doing really well with less melodrama-centric shows these days. Cute, bubbly stuff; suspenseful stuff; artsy-fartsy stuff (though they've always excelled in that regard). This isn't reflective of any changes in my tastes though, I just enjoyed a re-watch marathon of Love Story at Harvard not so long ago.

 

I'm re-watching Personal Taste which has Lee Min-Ho in it as well. It's not particular strong in substance, but the cutesy, bubbly chemistry and dialogue with Son Ye-Jin (and I admit, she's really the reason why I'm rewatching it in the first place) is tiding me through.

For a second I thought you were talking about Heir Audio until I read the rest lol.

post #188 of 236

kimvictor: I'll check out Iris then, not sure whether I have non-korean tastes or not yet though - we'll see :D

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post
 

Heirs was disappointingly dreck. Was very excited up until they got to the school part in Korea. It embodies a lot of the cheesy qualities of K-dramas, but in a terribly executed way. It was also disappointing in that, while the writer is well-known for prioritizing style and glitz over substance, she really missed the mark this time. It started to get offensive around EP9, and I couldn't finish it without fast-forwarding a good way through afterwards. Dramabeans has some very good critiques in the summary parts within the recaps.

 

It's harder to do melodramas these days, and especially springy youth-culture-integrated melodramas, for whatever reason. Perhaps it's that the formula had been perfected a long time ago. There have been various executions that stands out as being brilliant in midst of all of the trite shows and anything new is invitably compared to these classic and will typically not hold a candle to them.

 

This isn't to say that there's been a massive decline in ability to produce good melos though. You Who Came From the Stars, while tacky, is technically doing all the right things, hitting all the right marks, and you gotta give them props on that.

 

They are also doing really well with less melodrama-centric shows these days. Cute, bubbly stuff; suspenseful stuff; artsy-fartsy stuff (though they've always excelled in that regard). This isn't reflective of any changes in my tastes though, I just enjoyed a re-watch marathon of Love Story at Harvard not so long ago.

 

I'm re-watching Personal Taste which has Lee Min-Ho in it as well. It's not particular strong in substance, but the cutesy, bubbly chemistry and dialogue with Son Ye-Jin (and I admit, she's really the reason why I'm rewatching it in the first place) is tiding me through.

 

ah, a connoisseur of Korean TV! okay sorry for being a bit tired... so reply will be a bit scrambled.

but I have to agree it didn't get better the second half of Heirs. it lost the awesome cheesiness a bit.

so, what I got from your post: You Who Came From the Stars is recommended for me? I should look up the Love Story at Harvard one but I'd kind of prefer if they all were filmed in Korea, really enjoy the different scenery there.

 

since I'm replying to you I might as well ask: do you have any more tailored recommendations for me, if I want something that is like Heirs but "better"? assuming there is such a thing :D

 

thanks for the replies, I'm going to be hooked on this stuff in no time!

post #189 of 236

The second half of Love Story at Harvard is based in Korea. Rather, the change in scenery into America was what probably got drama-watchers hooked on the series which is an interesting contrast against your situation. It also has Kim Tae-Hee, which I regret to say, hasn't really buffed up her acting chops all these years later.

 

There's a huge breadth of content and genres available, but since you're just starting off I'll just talk about the popular stuff first.

 

You could try Secret Garden (from the same writer) - it also got a similar amount of hype and enthusiasm during its heyday. And while there are people who are very split about it, the negative reactions tend to be less intensive than Heirs. Heirs just got teared apart by a good majority of regular drama-goers. The tropes are more memorable, the styling is just as glitzy if not better, and you have the school problem out of the way completely as the characters don't go to school at all. It's a not a great step up and by no case a drama I would be actually recommending but in your situation I don't see why not. At least it's something different and something to get you up and running.

 

If you want to get a baseline down in terms of typical elements you'll come to expect while watching dramas, go for older series. I'm not talking about pre-2000's stuff though, shows from the '80s - '90s deserve a whole other conversation altogether, that's some of what I'd consider to be the best television, period. I'm talking about things like the Seasons stuff, the School series, which are great places to start in terms of dramas. If you want a nice, spunky, interesting show, something more down-to-earth and different from melodramas, stuff like Rooftop Room Cat, Coffee Prince have nice snippets of modern "drama-tized" life, while always keeping things interesting.

 

And of course if your focus it to really getting a glimpse of Korean culture, the historical dramas can definitely help (choose something more action-packed so as to get your interest). I also can't recommend the Answer Me series highly enough. Some of the best shows I've seen in recent years, in terms of direction and heart.

 

I'm still a bit conflicted as I'm just touting off generic recommendations. It's hard to suggest anything too specific unless you give some more stuff to go on. But that's for another day....

post #190 of 236

alright - that was a nice reply!

 

starting off with Secret Garden here then, we'll see if my tastes are bad enough to warrant liking it. ;)

also couldn't resist getting Coffee Prince... the name is enough to have me interested.

 

I also think I will get Answer Me as well, something a bit older should be fun too. compare it to these more modern ones.

 

thank you! this should be interesting... few months worth of Korean dramas. :D

 

oh and... are there any fun shows that have like a food theme? I don't know why but I tend to really like those.

post #191 of 236

Pasta - super spunky. Also featuring the lovely and voluptuous Honey Lee.

Not to be confused with Tazza though....which is something else entirely.

 

Also Gourmet - that has Kim Rae-Won from Love Story in Harvard, Rooftop Room Cat, and other classics like My Love Patzzi. Also Kwon Oh Joong who I think is hilarious, at least in The Secret Lovers.

 

Of course who can neglect to mention the legendary drama, the Juggernaut of Hallyu, Dae Jang Geum.

If you're into Korean cinema the lead was also in Park Chan-Wook's Sympathy for Lady Vengeance - a real teeth-clencher.

post #192 of 236

I can't believe I forgot this one - King of Baking, Kim Tak Goo. That one was ridiculously popular amongst everyone.

post #193 of 236
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post
 

I can't believe I forgot this one - King of Baking, Kim Tak Goo. That one was ridiculously popular amongst everyone.

Lol. I've watched that one.

post #194 of 236

:D King of Baking is a great title, definitely grabbing that one. OK I think I have a bit to watch now... I should get back to you when I have watched something

 

thank you very much!

post #195 of 236
Thread Starter 

Reading threads in Seeko, it's interesting how Korean audiophiles are soooooo different from audiophiles here. It's taken for granted that IEM cannot sound as good as hps. They remain so scientific when it comes to measurements, yet lack common sense at time. :p. I'm making them sound weird, but they are really really up to date when it comes to new releases though.

 

Anyone in Korea tried T-PEOS DAC yet? Or is it even out yet?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home