Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Philips Fidelio L2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Philips Fidelio L2 - Page 42

post #616 of 627

So I've been streaming folk music by Shakey Graves… some indie stuff that can't even be found on wikipedia… (found through headphone.guru). With my current rig of Micro iDSD (DAC) -> Cypher Labs Duet (amp) -> Fidelio L2, I feel like I want to retract any statement I ever made on veiled male vocals but I know my rig plays a large role in the overall sound. The music is acoustic but has that kind of haziness of a home recording instead of those clear but extremely processed recordings. It sounds like true analog playback… vinyl with vacuum tubes. I've been streaming this album the entire day and I don't normally enjoy folk music. Clear, warm, and smooth sounds.

 

With most other music, it's close but not yet perfect. I'm thinking of something like an Analog Squared Paper TUR-06 or a Fostex HP-V1 to replace the Duet. Most of the other flagships don't do it for me. The HD800, HD700 are out. The Audeze LCD-2 wasn't much of an upgrade when I demoed it. I haven't demoed the LCD-3, XC, and X but they're out of budget anyway. The Beyers don't do it for me. My hopes lie on the Alpha Prime or the HiFiMan HE-560.

post #617 of 627

Well, I pulled the trigger on the L2 :D

As for my all-time favorite, go-to headphone, that would be the HE-560 :)

I plan to keep the HE-560 for home and use the L2 on the go...

We'll see how it goes :)

post #618 of 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post
 

Well, I pulled the trigger on the L2 :D

As for my all-time favorite, go-to headphone, that would be the HE-560 :)

I plan to keep the HE-560 for home and use the L2 on the go...

We'll see how it goes :)

Gratz :beerchug:

L2 is very easy to drive, so you need just your phone/dap for portable use. Sound magnificent out of iPhone 5S.

Also give em at least 20-30 hours of burn in to sound their best.

Waiting for your impressions.

post #619 of 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakkal View Post
 

Gratz :beerchug:

L2 is very easy to drive, so you need just your phone/dap for portable use. Sound magnificent out of iPhone 5S.

Also give em at least 20-30 hours of burn in to sound their best.

Waiting for your impressions.

Will do.

I'll be driving them with the Fiio X1, which I think is pretty awesome, especially for the price.

I'll make sure to give my initial impressions. I ordered from Amazon.it for 190 Euros. Not 150 but still the cheapest I found :)

post #620 of 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by maricius View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
So I've been streaming folk music by Shakey Graves… some indie stuff that can't even be found on wikipedia… (found through headphone.guru). With my current rig of Micro iDSD (DAC) -> Cypher Labs Duet (amp) -> Fidelio L2, I feel like I want to retract any statement I ever made on veiled male vocals but I know my rig plays a large role in the overall sound. The music is acoustic but has that kind of haziness of a home recording instead of those clear but extremely processed recordings. It sounds like true analog playback… vinyl with vacuum tubes. I've been streaming this album the entire day and I don't normally enjoy folk music. Clear, warm, and smooth sounds.

 

With most other music, it's close but not yet perfect. I'm thinking of something like an Analog Squared Paper TUR-06 or a Fostex HP-V1 to replace the Duet. Most of the other flagships don't do it for me. The HD800, HD700 are out. The Audeze LCD-2 wasn't much of an upgrade when I demoed it. I haven't demoed the LCD-3, XC, and X but they're out of budget anyway. The Beyers don't do it for me. My hopes lie on the Alpha Prime or the HiFiMan HE-560.

 

For less you could get both the Alpha Dog and HE-500 (if you can handle the comfort) and then you score two headphones in stead of just one. More is always better right! :p I think both represent excellent value at $600. With the Prime and the HE-560 it becomes a bit of an either or because of the price. Just food for thought.

 

I bought the Fidelio L1 last week as my portable go to headphone, was very interested in the L2, but the L2 owners I was following on the forum all migrated to the HE-500 and called it a significant improvement. Will first see how things go with L1 as its heavily discounted and wait for the L2 to drop in price and make the switch or try something else if the sound is not up to snuff.


Edited by daerron - 10/26/14 at 2:18pm
post #621 of 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by daerron View Post
 

 

For less you could get both the Alpha Dog and HE-500 (if you can handle the comfort) and then you score two headphones in stead of just one. More is always better right! :p I think both represent excellent value at $600. With the Prime and the HE-560 it becomes a bit of an either or because of the price. Just food for thought.

 

I bought the Fidelio L1 last week as my portable go to headphone, was very interested in the L2, but the L2 owners I was following on the forum all migrated to the HE-500 and called it a significant improvement. Will first see how things go with L1 as its heavily discounted and wait for the L2 to drop in price and make the switch or try something else if the sound is not up to snuff.

L2 IMO is way better than L1 in terms of sound, although L1 is better build. 

post #622 of 627

I just got the L2, but I'm having issues with the comfort. I normally use the MA900 (very low clamping force), so the clamping force of the L2 is kinda brutal for me. I understand that this is to be expected for portables. I'm thinking of sending them back, but I really love the sound of them. Anyone knows if it is safe to stretch them to reduce the clamping force?

post #623 of 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by retwisted View Post
 

I just got the L2, but I'm having issues with the comfort. I normally use the MA900 (very low clamping force), so the clamping force of the L2 is kinda brutal for me. I understand that this is to be expected for portables. I'm thinking of sending them back, but I really love the sound of them. Anyone knows if it is safe to stretch them to reduce the clamping force?

Since there's a steel elastic band underneath the cushioned headband, you can bend it to your mind's desire.

In fact, that is what you should always do until you get your desirable comfort/clamping :)

Don't overdo it of course but reasonable bending is fine.

post #624 of 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by retwisted View Post
 

I just got the L2, but I'm having issues with the comfort. I normally use the MA900 (very low clamping force), so the clamping force of the L2 is kinda brutal for me. I understand that this is to be expected for portables. I'm thinking of sending them back, but I really love the sound of them. Anyone knows if it is safe to stretch them to reduce the clamping force?

I think that the clamping force on L2 is normal, you should try FA-003 to see what I call clamping force. :biggrin:

But if it's not comfortable for you, try stretch it carefully over a few books for a while or what conquerator2 said.

post #625 of 627

Just received mine!

A bit different than what I expected but these are my initial observations:

- These are not bass light! I think they have a bit more bass than what's neutral. The extension is very impressive [sub-bass down to ~18kz] and there's plenty of punch. A bit boomy but still controlled enough to not make me question its qualities. In all I think the bass is pretty close to the X1's bass with a bit more extension [due to semi-open design, I assume] but a bit less impact.

- Midrange is mostly neutral if a hair laid-back at certain points. I have a slight bias for forward sounding mids, but the L2's mids are still adequate for me, meaning not recessed and mostly well-present. Comparable to the X1 but a bit more forward by memory.

- Vocals are a bit strange to me. They have quite good presence but they're not too forward. They are coming off a bit tiny and harsh at times for now, but nothing too serious. There's some slight sibilance at times but not too emphasized. I am sensitive to sibilance and I still find it within my rather strict limits. I think the X1 did vocals slightly better overall, but not by much. It has the benefit of being fully open of course.

- Highs are reasonably forward, smooth and well extended. Cymbals and such came off quite clean without any recession or that I could hear. I believe it's a similar tale with the X1. The X1 might be a bit smoother and the L2 a bit more forward, but I am going off long term memory here, so...

- Instrument separation is pretty good. Tie with X1 I think.

- Imaging is decent. Might not be the best ever but it's fine, not muddy or diffused. X1 was slightly better, maybe.

- Soundstage size is very decent. Not too small but still within intimate range. X1 had a bit bigger stage but again is fully open, so...

- Isolation is decent, between closed and open headphones [duh!], comfort is also okay [the headband does create a bit of pressure after some time and the earcups are just so-so, but they fit me]

- Build quality is great!

 

That's all for initial impressions.

Cheers :)

post #626 of 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post

Just received mine!
A bit different than what I expected but these are my initial observations:
- These are not bass light! I think they have a bit more bass than what's neutral. The extension is very impressive [sub-bass down to ~18kz] and there's plenty of punch. A bit boomy but still controlled enough to not make me question its qualities. In all I think the bass is pretty close to the X1's bass with a bit more extension [due to semi-open design, I assume] but a bit less impact.
- Midrange is mostly neutral if a hair laid-back at certain points. I have a slight bias for forward sounding mids, but the L2's mids are still adequate for me, meaning not recessed and mostly well-present. Comparable to the X1 but a bit more forward by memory.
- Vocals are a bit strange to me. They have quite good presence but they're not too forward. They are coming off a bit tiny and harsh at times for now, but nothing too serious. There's some slight sibilance at times but not too emphasized. I am sensitive to sibilance and I still find it within my rather strict limits. I think the X1 did vocals slightly better overall, but not by much. It has the benefit of being fully open of course.
- Highs are reasonably forward, smooth and well extended. Cymbals and such came off quite clean without any recession or that I could hear. I believe it's a similar tale with the X1. The X1 might be a bit smoother and the L2 a bit more forward, but I am going off long term memory here, so...
- Instrument separation is pretty good. Tie with X1 I think.
- Imaging is decent. Might not be the best ever but it's fine, not muddy or diffused. X1 was slightly better, maybe.
- Soundstage size is very decent. Not too small but still within intimate range. X1 had a bit bigger stage but again is fully open, so...
- Isolation is decent, between closed and open headphones [duh!], comfort is also okay [the headband does create a bit of pressure after some time and the earcups are just so-so, but they fit me]
- Build quality is great!

That's all for initial impressions.
Cheers smily_headphones1.gif

Great initial impresion. Bass is for sure less than X1. Give them at least 20 hours burn-in, bass will settle down.
Enjoy them. beerchug.gif
post #627 of 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakkal View Post

Great initial impresion. Bass is for sure less than X1. Give them at least 20 hours burn-in, bass will settle down.
Enjoy them. beerchug.gif

Will try and will do smily_headphones1.gif
Hopefully the vocals will smoothe and fledge out a bit too wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Philips Fidelio L2