Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Advice wanted regarding JH16pro+JH-3A DSP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advice wanted regarding JH16pro+JH-3A DSP

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Hey everyone this is my 1st thread and would like some honest advice.

I currently own TF10x8 Custom IEM's  (2xlow, 2xMid, 2xHigh, 2xSuper High) that I had UM upgrade from the stock UE TF10 (2xlow, 1xhigh?  I think)  And I love them to bits.

I have read debates over more drivers don't man better sound etc, putting that aside the fact is both are 8drivers, my current ones are 2 drivers for each Low,mid and so on as the JH-16pro has 2xdual low, 1xdual mid, 2x single high..  4,2,2   compared to my 2,2,2,2

The reason I am considering buying the JH16pro+JH-3A DSP+JH-3A Silver Dragon Cable, is because I am not getting the bass I want from particular songs and when I turn the bass up it gets a thud thud, rather than a thump thump or a bzzzzzzzz bzzzzzzz rather than a mmmmmm,mmmmmmmm. 80% of what I listen to the TF10x8 are awesome.. Artists like Beethoven, Cat Stevens, through to Nirvana, Marilyn Manson, NOFX  (punk rock) , and Tupac (Hip-Hop) all sound perfect to my ears in every way.

On the other hand Prodigy and Eminem different story, love the vocals with high treble with Eminem, but Thud Thud bass on songs like Eminem's "Stan" and "The Way I am" to name a few..of many.

Seems like my TF10x8 play Tupacs bass sweet songs like "Brenda's Got A Baby" yet can't handle Eminem, even when I pair it with Fiio E7

Anyways The Artists I covered are what I listen to most.

 

I currently use Galaxy S3 paired with Fiio E7

and get my preferred sound from the android app "PowerAmp" tried using iPod nano but the S3+PowerAmp suits my taste 10fold 

I haven't yet been given permission to post a screenshot of my Eq and Tone settings yet but the Eq has a V shape kinda.  And in the tone settings I have Treble turned up pretty high, but have to leave the Bass on half :(

 

So what I ask is would I benefit from the JH-16pro setup?

How would the signature, and bass compare to TF10x8 with my music tastes?

 

Thanks Guys

post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snifterroux View Post
 

Hey everyone this is my 1st thread and would like some honest advice.

I currently own TF10x8 Custom IEM's  (2xlow, 2xMid, 2xHigh, 2xSuper High) that I had UM upgrade from the stock UE TF10 (2xlow, 1xhigh?  I think)  And I love them to bits.

I have read debates over more drivers don't man better sound etc, putting that aside the fact is both are 8drivers, my current ones are 2 drivers for each Low,mid and so on as the JH-16pro has 2xdual low, 1xdual mid, 2x single high..  4,2,2   compared to my 2,2,2,2

The reason I am considering buying the JH16pro+JH-3A DSP+JH-3A Silver Dragon Cable, is because I am not getting the bass I want from particular songs and when I turn the bass up it gets a thud thud, rather than a thump thump or a bzzzzzzzz bzzzzzzz rather than a mmmmmm,mmmmmmmm. 80% of what I listen to the TF10x8 are awesome.. Artists like Beethoven, Cat Stevens, through to Nirvana, Marilyn Manson, NOFX  (punk rock) , and Tupac (Hip-Hop) all sound perfect to my ears in every way.

On the other hand Prodigy and Eminem different story, love the vocals with high treble with Eminem, but Thud Thud bass on songs like Eminem's "Stan" and "The Way I am" to name a few..of many.

Seems like my TF10x8 play Tupacs bass sweet songs like "Brenda's Got A Baby" yet can't handle Eminem, even when I pair it with Fiio E7

Anyways The Artists I covered are what I listen to most.

 

I currently use Galaxy S3 paired with Fiio E7

and get my preferred sound from the android app "PowerAmp" tried using iPod nano but the S3+PowerAmp suits my taste 10fold 

I haven't yet been given permission to post a screenshot of my Eq and Tone settings yet but the Eq has a V shape kinda.  And in the tone settings I have Treble turned up pretty high, but have to leave the Bass on half :(

 

So what I ask is would I benefit from the JH-16pro setup?

How would the signature, and bass compare to TF10x8 with my music tastes?

 

Thanks Guys

 

I am a avid believer that driver numbers don't alter the sound quality much, as long as the drivers are used affectively. Actually, keeping simple design is much better, as it allows less tuning errors. Considering that UM tunes a reshelled iem like they sound before they are reshelled, I'm going to guess that your TF10x8 sounds like TF10. If you want more bass, I say JH16 is the right way. It would have more bass than TF10. Deeper extension, more impact. JH16/13 has the best bass I've heard from any iem. Pair it with JH-3A, you got a bass monster. 

 

I want to hear a little more about your TF10x8. I feel like reshelling like that could potentially mess up staging and tuning. How does it sound?

post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post
 

 

I am a avid believer that driver numbers don't alter the sound quality much, as long as the drivers are used affectively. Actually, keeping simple design is much better, as it allows less tuning errors. Considering that UM tunes a reshelled iem like they sound before they are reshelled, I'm going to guess that your TF10x8 sounds like TF10. If you want more bass, I say JH16 is the right way. It would have more bass than TF10. Deeper extension, more impact. JH16/13 has the best bass I've heard from any iem. Pair it with JH-3A, you got a bass monster. 

 

I want to hear a little more about your TF10x8. I feel like reshelling like that could potentially mess up staging and tuning. How does it sound?

 

The TF10x8 in my opinion sounds like TF10 but with far more clarity (excuse my words, I haven't got the hold of the Audiophiles lingo, nor confident in accurately labelling particular sounds/freq etc).

I find the highs reach far higher not only that but crystal clear..."Brighter may be the correct term?".

I feel that the extra drivers made such an impression that they make the lows (2 original lows) seem.... no where near as good as the highs, from 2,1 drivers to 2,2,2,2  it feels as though there should have been 3 lows or something.  For improved sub bass.

 

I wish I could compare the 2 side by side and have both custom fit, but the TF10 was just uni fit, so who knows the big diff it may have made by just re-shelling them as the 3 driver.

I am sorry I can't shed any light, I personally love a fair bit of bass, and max out on trebles with all my music.

And for that I love them to bits.

There are a few.."few" that is, songs that make me have to lower the highs and treble as the vocals in these particular songs go right through my head and make my eyelids go nuts, my facial expressions would be the same as someone who just drank a glass of off milk.  Vocals from "Cleaning out my Closet " and "Without me" from Eminem.

 

I dont know what drivers the TF10x6 are but would be interested to hear what a 2xlow 1xmid 1xhigh 1xsuper high would sound like, as the ratio of low to high are diff.


Edited by Snifterroux - 9/11/13 at 12:57am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snifterroux View Post
 

 

The TF10x8 in my opinion sounds like TF10 but with far more clarity (excuse my words, I haven't got the hold of the Audiophiles lingo, nor confident in accurately labelling particular sounds/freq etc).

I find the highs reach far higher not only that but crystal clear..."Brighter may be the correct term?".

I feel that the extra drivers made such an impression that they make the lows (2 original lows) seem.... no where near as good as the highs, from 2,1 drivers to 2,2,2,2  it feels as though there should have been 3 lows or something.  For improved sub bass.

 

I wish I could compare the 2 side by side and have both custom fit, but the TF10 was just uni fit, so who knows the big diff it may have made by just re-shelling them as the 3 driver.

I am sorry I can't shed any light, I personally love a fair bit of bass, and max out on trebles with all my music.

And for that I love them to bits.

There are a few.."few" that is, songs that make me have to lower the highs and treble as the vocals in these particular songs go right through my head and make my eyelids go nuts, my facial expressions would be the same as someone who just drank a glass of off milk.  Vocals from "Cleaning out my Closet " and "Without me" from Eminem.

 

I dont know what drivers the TF10x6 are but would be interested to hear what a 2xlow 1xmid 1xhigh 1xsuper high would sound like, as the ratio of low to high are diff.

 

Well, ratio of drivers doesn't tell anything imo. ES5 has a single bass driver, but has warm sound. More drivers just allows better decay and control. Anyways, speaking of good bass, have you considered hybrids? Man, single dynamic can outperform multiple BAs in terms of bass impact.

post #5 of 10

When you say that the EQ is U shaped, did you add more bass and treble, or lower the mids? Adding EQ can cause distortion, which will be especially noticeable in the bass.

post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Over My Head View Post
 

When you say that the EQ is U shaped, did you add more bass and treble, or lower the mids? Adding EQ can cause distortion, which will be especially noticeable in the bass.

 

Yup. Always try to lower things, or just lower the pre-amp and add bass and treble.

post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Over My Head View Post
 

When you say that the EQ is U shaped, did you add more bass and treble, or lower the mids? Adding EQ can cause distortion, which will be especially noticeable in the bass.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post
 

 

Yup. Always try to lower things, or just lower the pre-amp and add bass and treble.

 

 

Oops I had the preamp maxed, the 31 slightly under maxed then 500 was as low as it could go and 4k,8k,16k maxed out... with all the others in between .. looks like a v with a tail V``

I dont know I guess I like a lot of bass, very little mid, and a lot of high.  I like the vocals very bright.    (never had distortion or clipping)....I'm guess but not only make the songs sound unnatural but also did damage to my IEM's?  they have has 100's of hrs at those settings


Edited by Snifterroux - 9/11/13 at 11:43pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snifterroux View Post
 

 

 

 

Oops I had the preamp maxed, the 31 slightly under maxed then 500 was as low as it could go and 4k,8k,16k maxed out... with all the others in between .. looks like a v with a tail V``

I dont know I guess I like a lot of bass, very little mid, and a lot of high.  I like the vocals very bright.    (never had distortion or clipping)....I'm guess but not only make the songs sound unnatural but also did damage to my IEM's?  they have has 100's of hrs at those settings

Its unlikely that your IEMs would be damaged. Every body has different preferences in for sound signatures, and different gear or setting suits some music better than others. I'd try resetting the EQ to default, and listen to that for a while to get used to the sound of the phones without any added coloration. It may sound bad to you at first, but your ears/ brain will adapt to it. This is the best way to assess the characteristics of the cans and how they reproduce bass etc, and will be closest to how the bass on the track was intended to sound.

 

I personally don't use EQ, but there are loads of discussions on Head-Fi about the subject. But as a general rule you should lower the freqs that you don't like, rather tan boosting those that you do. Over boosting bass will often distort (not necessarily noticeable clipping) the music by making the bass louder and boomier, and it will drown out and muddy up other aspects of the music.

 

I love bass also, but these days I find it is more about the quality (i.e.depth, texture, control) than the quantity (i.e. volume).

post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Over My Head View Post
 

Its unlikely that your IEMs would be damaged. Every body has different preferences in for sound signatures, and different gear or setting suits some music better than others. I'd try resetting the EQ to default, and listen to that for a while to get used to the sound of the phones without any added coloration. It may sound bad to you at first, but your ears/ brain will adapt to it. This is the best way to assess the characteristics of the cans and how they reproduce bass etc, and will be closest to how the bass on the track was intended to sound.

 

I personally don't use EQ, but there are loads of discussions on Head-Fi about the subject. But as a general rule you should lower the freqs that you don't like, rather tan boosting those that you do. Over boosting bass will often distort (not necessarily noticeable clipping) the music by making the bass louder and boomier, and it will drown out and muddy up other aspects of the music.

 

I love bass also, but these days I find it is more about the quality (i.e.depth, texture, control) than the quantity (i.e. volume).

 

Thanks for the advice, I have reset the EQ to flat, like you said its gonna take time to adapt.

post #10 of 10

Because I can't demo the JH 13 and 16, I'm considering buying the jh16/JH-3a. Will I be able to adjust

the 3a so the 16 sounds exactly like the 13? Especially the detail.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Advice wanted regarding JH16pro+JH-3A DSP