Ignore the trolling by "techboy" (note that a substantial percentage of this guy's posts is bashing ASUS cards in a large number of threads, even cards and with headphones he has never heard), if the Phoebus has the same amplifier as the STX, then it should not have much problem driving the HD600. Of course, you will need to set a higher gain than with the ATH-M50, but it should be fine otherwise. Do not buy worse headphones with an amp. The only problem is you may possibly prefer other headphones, so it would be best to try some before deciding. The HD600 is good if you are looking for a neutral sound, and do not need a lot of bass.
Related Forum Threads
- Upgrade from ath-m50 ( Vocal) Last post on 12/11/12 at 5:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best mids over-the-ear open headphone for less than USD 300? Last post on 12/8/12 at 8:32am in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones 300$ Last post on 9/18/11 at 2:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- General use headphones? Last post on 6/20/11 at 9:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
This is a good amplifier in my limited experience, *but*, it might not better than some of the leading solid-state competitors in this price range ($500-600). I haven't compared it too, for...
Wonderful headset. Very underrated because razer gets a lot of hate for being mainstream
The Awei Q9s are really bang for bucks! You can't go wrong with these! Unless you have tiny ears... Packaging: the packaging is standard. It brings the S/M/L tips and a shirt-clip. However, the...
I just got these in from Koss today and initial impressions are incredibly positive. These are Koss' second best headphone available that I have tried (DJ100, DJ200, PRO4AA, PRO4AAT, PRO4AAAT, and...
Comfort and build quality these would not look out of place at £600. Out of all the headphones I have tried these have the best overall sound which works with every type of music and overall sound...
xonar phoebus - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Get the Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card, used $50-$60, same CMI8788 audio processor as the Essence STX/ & ST, Phoebus uses the CMI8888.
I believe the Schiit Magni, $99, amplifier is a little more desirable then the Essence STX/Phoebus head amp.
Oops, missed that part about you already owning the Phoebus.
Did you turn off the motherboard's on-board audio (in the BIOS) when you installed the Phoebus?
Try using Foobar200 for playing music audio.
- xonar phoebus
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › X5 firmware 2.36beta--folder jump, true random shuffle, more custom... 35 seconds ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 42 seconds ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 55 seconds ago
- › Head-Fi Art Club 1 minute ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 1 minute ago
- › The Entry Level Stax Thread 1 minute ago
- › Anedio D2 DAC release 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Cayin C5 Headphone Compatibility 1 minute ago
- › Violectric V200 2 minutes ago
- › Lehmann Rhinelander by jdpark
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by kigisaru
- › AWEI ES-Q9 Super Bass Wooden Earphones Headphones Headsets Fiber... by Mellowship
- › Koss Pro4S Full Size Studio Headphones, Black with Silver Trim by Zombie_X
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by nicholars
- › Sony MDREX10LP/BLK In-Ear Headphones by originalgusbus
- › Shure Sound Isolating Earphone SE315 Hi-Definition Micro Speaker... by acain
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 102 iE In-Ear Headphones (Silver) by Zero Decibels
- › Hidizs AP100 Portable HiFi Audio Player in Black / Silver White by YoYo JoKeR
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by heovuitinh
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)