Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model - Page 6

post #76 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOBREEDER View Post
 

Since this is an anniversary special I reckon we may see even a 1TB player. Sony is known to bring suprises whether good or bad. Most of Sony internal storage rely on Toshiba & Samsung. I wont be suprised if they partnered to produce the world first terabyte storage for this special anniversary. Cost maybe even in the 1000+ range, and knowing Sony its going to sound great.

 

That would mean platter based HDD, which SOny hasn't done for years. I think we'll be lucky to get 128 or 256GB.

post #77 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOBREEDER View Post
 

Since this is an anniversary special I reckon we may see even a 1TB player. Sony is known to bring suprises whether good or bad. Most of Sony internal storage rely on Toshiba & Samsung. I wont be suprised if they partnered to produce the world first terabyte storage for this special anniversary. Cost maybe even in the 1000+ range, and knowing Sony its going to sound great.

 

I'd guess about a 0% chance of that. (no offense)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderP View Post
 

 

That would mean platter based HDD, which SOny hasn't done for years. I think we'll be lucky to get 128 or 256GB.

 

I could totally see 128GB happening, but anything higher than that would probably be a Japan-only model.

post #78 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

 

I could totally see 128GB happening, but anything higher than that would probably be a Japan-only model.

I'm putting my guess down to 128GB being advanced. Simply because 64GB has been a rarity and the proverbial brick wall. Offering twice that meets the requirement of an 'Anniversary Model' while keeping the cost down to what people would find acceptable.

post #79 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecala View Post
 

I'm putting my guess down to 128GB being advanced. Simply because 64GB has been a rarity and the proverbial brick wall. Offering twice that meets the requirement of an 'Anniversary Model' while keeping the cost down to what people would find acceptable.

 

64GB isn't a rarity - Sony just didn't offer it outside of Japan. But for other manufacturers - more common in the rest of the world. Apple usually jumped first at the bigger DAP size, which is telling.

post #80 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderP View Post
 

 

I see no major limitations. As I've said, for most, 64GB is more than enough and Sony over the past few years has balanced the need for features and such. I would like more, but I don't need more. Even on a long flight (for example, flying to Australia), I would be able to listen to a small percentage of what's on the 64GB Sony.

You're right but when I sit on a flight to Australia I want to check my music library and choose what I want from Beethoven to AC DC feeling my mood and I don't want to spend 400$ or more to have a DAP that force me to choose my music at home.

It's a price question,first of all, in my opinion.

I see we're speculating so much about the storage.. but no chance guys just wait and see what sony will do! :(

post #81 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heterodoxa View Post
 

You're right but when I sit on a flight to Australia I want to check my music library and choose what I want from Beethoven to AC DC feeling my mood and I don't want to spend 400$ or more to have a DAP that force me to choose my music at home.

It's a price question,first of all, in my opinion.

I see we're speculating so much about the storage.. but no chance guys just wait and see what sony will do! :(

 

Unrealistic - and I sit on 12+ hour flights a few times a year. I do not need my many 1000s of CDs ripped with me for such a trip. I have everything from classical to jazz to rock and everything inbetween. If you need your entire collection with you, maybe you need to re-evaluate your portable needs since no DAP will ever hold that much internally and you'd need a metric ton of SD cards, too.

post #82 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderP View Post
 

 

And you can install Android apps, etc. Sony doesn't cripple the Android on the Walkman and lock it down only to be a music player, which is something they could have done if they wanted to. Sony isn't perfect, but they get much more right than wrong with their DAPs.

 

They do that. No options in recovery, no flashmode, no fastboot mode. Cripples it for the devs at least. Thus, we can't install those awesome audio mods to take the sound to the next level.

post #83 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderP View Post

Unrealistic - and I sit on 12+ hour flights a few times a year. I do not need my many 1000s of CDs ripped with me for such a trip. I have everything from classical to jazz to rock and everything inbetween. If you need your entire collection with you, maybe you need to re-evaluate your portable needs since no DAP will ever hold that much internally and you'd need a metric ton of SD cards, too.

I don't think it is unrealistic to hope for a card slot ( or two ), after all A+K already provides this!
And for me it's not even about long flights where I'm unable to choose from my entire music collection, it's more to do with convenience.
I'd like to be able to just stick the whole lot on there and hit 'random'.
As I said, even my ageing D2 comes close to providing this, surely a leader in this field ( which Sony obviously is ) can better the competition and keep both you AND I happy by providing expandability?

If Sony truly want to encourage the adoption of hi-rez formats by enabling DAP's to play them, doesn't it also make sense to provide enough space to store these formats?
Higher and higher rez with the same amount of storage will lead to shrinking collections ( while mobile at least ), which is definitely unattractive to me when compared to other emerging DAP's which don't hamstring my choices in this way.

I like Sony DAP's, but I'd like them A LOT more if they provided expandability.
post #84 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderP View Post
 

 

Unrealistic - and I sit on 12+ hour flights a few times a year. I do not need my many 1000s of CDs ripped with me for such a trip. I have everything from classical to jazz to rock and everything inbetween. If you need your entire collection with you, maybe you need to re-evaluate your portable needs since no DAP will ever hold that much internally and you'd need a metric ton of SD cards, too.

 

Ok I still stand by my opinion... the fascination of the biodiversity! :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Mass View Post


I like Sony DAP's, but I'd like them A LOT more if they provided expandability.

+1

post #85 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderP View Post
 

 

64GB isn't a rarity - Sony just didn't offer it outside of Japan. But for other manufacturers - more common in the rest of the world. Apple usually jumped first at the bigger DAP size, which is telling.

So you first state Sony offered it as an option in JAPAN only. Not elsewhere. Then you say other manufacturers did in the rest of the world. Right.

Can you provide a list of all these manufacturers and their models that offered 64GB Solid-State players here please.

post #86 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecala View Post
 

So you first state Sony offered it as an option in JAPAN only. Not elsewhere. Then you say other manufacturers did in the rest of the world. Right.

Can you provide a list of all these manufacturers and their models that offered 64GB Solid-State players here please.

 

Apple iPod Touch 64GB comes to mind....and there was a 64GB Sony A-series that was sold in the UK at one point.

post #87 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post
 

 

Apple iPod Touch 64GB comes to mind....and there was a 64GB Sony A-series that was sold in the UK at one point.

 As I thought. Does this not come under the definition of 'rare'. Does this not make my previous comment valid?

post #88 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecala View Post
 

So you first state Sony offered it as an option in JAPAN only. Not elsewhere. Then you say other manufacturers did in the rest of the world. Right.

Can you provide a list of all these manufacturers and their models that offered 64GB Solid-State players here please.

Apple first introduced the 64GB capacity and I know Sony soon followed in Japan, but has not offered more than 32GB to this point outside of Japan. Sony's first 64GB was the NW-A847.

 

Apple - various iPod Touch models for a few years

Astell&Kern AK120

Creative - Zen X-Fi2

Microsoft - ZuneHD (RIP)

Nokia - Lumia 1020 (Brazil only I believe - out soon; phone, but it counts)

 

If you span into tablet type things, there are MANY options.

 

I'm sure there are a few more players, too, but those are off the top of my head. I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here, but this isn't a proverbail 'mine is bigger than yours' contest which it feels like you're trying to do. Maybe you're just out of touch.

post #89 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecala View Post
 

 As I thought. Does this not come under the definition of 'rare'. Does this not make my previous comment valid?

 

It's not rare if you can get it everywhere and easily. The iPod Touch is ubiquitous. You have no point here. Even if it was just Sony in Japan and Apple in the rest of the world, point is the rest of the world HAS an option. Most people wind up buying 16 and 32GB devices because for the masses that is MORE than enough. People who need more - and I put myself in that category - are the exception, NOT the rule. You don't think manufacturers came up with these types of numbers (i.e. 16/32) "just because", do you? The business side of things is that there is not a massive demand for high capacity players in general regardless of the type of storage.


Edited by FenderP - 9/13/13 at 11:21am
post #90 of 6599
Card slots have the advantage that they allow each individual owner to make their own choice between low price/capacity and higher price/capacity :-)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model