Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model - Page 403

post #6031 of 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK-Guy View Post
 

can you use the google play music app with the ZX1?... thinking of subscribing to it so need to know if it works, cheers for any help.


It works for sure as I have used it with a 3 month trial via a previous chomecast purchase.

 

Qobuz sounds better though :) just a pity their app is only adequate; very small covers and icons on the Zx1 screen.

post #6032 of 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post


If not, i am convinced you can buy it as a spare through Sony Customer service. When I got the PHA2, I also bought extra a Hires cable for spare. The silicon strips can also be ordered separately. This should be the case for the spacer, I guess.

Not in the U.S., apparently -- I was told that they don't even recognize the model here . . .

post #6033 of 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK-Guy View Post

can you use the google play music app with the ZX1?... thinking of subscribing to it so need to know if it works, cheers for any help.

It works wonderfully.
Battery life takes a hit while streaming obviously....but with 128GB you can pin a whole lot of music for offline use. Downloading for offline is quite slow which is the only downside.
post #6034 of 6517

cheers Mannp & Spadge that's useful info... :beerchug:

post #6035 of 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post


Hi Delrosa81,
Thanks!
I am relieved! This is also what i experienced so far. Roughly 5 hours with the HI-RES connection.
By analog, you mean jack to jack cable right? I will try tonight. Do you hear any significant difference in term of SQ?

 

you might want to get a FiiO WM-Port>mini-jack and use line-out instead of headphone-out... it's not a massive improvement but things do appear slightly cleaner sound-wise. 

post #6036 of 6517

I just bought a used PHA-2, so I'm hoping for the best.  It will come with a 30-day return policy so I'm just going to have to try it out for myself.  Will report back.

post #6037 of 6517

Hi!

 

Anybody who compared the ZX1 and the AK100 MKII? 

I am thinking of buying one of these devices....

 

Thanks! :)

post #6038 of 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanes View Post
 

Hi!

 

Anybody who compared the ZX1 and the AK100 MKII? 

I am thinking of buying one of these devices....

 

Thanks! :)

I have the AK100 modded by Mezzo Soprano (compared well to the AK120), and I think the ZX1 is superior sounding to it.  My modded AK has a more relaxed presentation with slightly fuzzier around edge.  It is also slightly darker sounding.   OTOH, the ZX1 to my ears sound more powerful and has better resolution compared to my modded AK100.  What earphones do you own?  Some time it is about pairing really.  I'm using an original JH13pro with upgraded moon-audio silver dragon.

post #6039 of 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

I just bought a used PHA-2, so I'm hoping for the best.  It will come with a 30-day return policy so I'm just going to have to try it out for myself.  Will report back.

 

be nice to see your thought using hi-res albums via the cable... I've only got one hi-res album and that's a live one by Gov' Mule so the quality is a bit ummm, same as Red-Book(?).

 

I tend to only use the PHA-2 as a headphone amp with my Walkman, though I must admit using the PHA-2 via the pc impresses.

post #6040 of 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

I have the AK100 modded by Mezzo Soprano (compared well to the AK120), and I think the ZX1 is superior sounding to it.  My modded AK has a more relaxed presentation with slightly fuzzier around edge.  It is also slightly darker sounding.   OTOH, the ZX1 to my ears sound more powerful and has better resolution compared to my modded AK100.  What earphones do you own?  Some time it is about pairing really.  I'm using an original JH13pro with upgraded moon-audio silver dragon.

 

Is this the older MS-AK100 mod bypassing some resistor components to reduce the ZOut or is this the newer MS-AK100 mod with the complete DAC, volume replacement & a digital filter change?

post #6041 of 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

I just bought a used PHA-2, so I'm hoping for the best.  It will come with a 30-day return policy so I'm just going to have to try it out for myself.  Will report back.


Good choice as the PHA-2 is pretty good amp :) ENjoy!

post #6042 of 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK-Guy View Post
 

 

be nice to see your thought using hi-res albums via the cable... I've only got one hi-res album and that's a live one by Gov' Mule so the quality is a bit ummm, same as Red-Book(?).

 

I tend to only use the PHA-2 as a headphone amp with my Walkman, though I must admit using the PHA-2 via the pc impresses.

Will certainly let you guys know.  I will probably just going to compare ZX-1+PHA-2 vs. ZX-1+Pico Power and see if I can discern any improvements over the awesome Pico Power.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
 

 

Is this the older MS-AK100 mod bypassing some resistor components to reduce the ZOut or is this the newer MS-AK100 mod with the complete DAC, volume replacement & a digital filter change?

Sean...this is an older mods unit.  I got this off currawong several months ago.  This particular mods should be within the ballpark of the AK100mk2.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by delrosa81 View Post
 


Good choice as the PHA-2 is pretty good amp :) ENjoy!

Well, I really want it to surprise me, but my standard is quite high...though not high enough to get the almighty AK240 (sorry!).


Edited by purk - 7/30/14 at 6:15pm
post #6043 of 6517
Definitely looking forward to your pha2 vs Pico Power.
post #6044 of 6517

Seems there's a new firmware v1.12 to address some bluetooth issues :-

 

http://www.sony.jp/walkman/update/index.html

post #6045 of 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

I have the AK100 modded by Mezzo Soprano (compared well to the AK120), and I think the ZX1 is superior sounding to it.  My modded AK has a more relaxed presentation with slightly fuzzier around edge.  It is also slightly darker sounding.   OTOH, the ZX1 to my ears sound more powerful and has better resolution compared to my modded AK100.  What earphones do you own?  Some time it is about pairing really.  I'm using an original JH13pro with upgraded moon-audio silver dragon.

Thanks for the impressions! :) I am currently using a Stagediver 2 and a Sennheiser IE800. Any ideas about that?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model