Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model - Page 402

post #6016 of 6599
Though if you were using 3.5mm to connect there are tons of other amps to consider. I thought the reason for digital to PHA-2 is so that we get DSD native playback?
post #6017 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post


Hi Delrosa81,
Thanks!
I am relieved! This is also what i experienced so far. Roughly 5 hours with the HI-RES connection.
By analog, you mean jack to jack cable right? I will try tonight. Do you hear any significant difference in term of SQ?

I'm considering getting my hand on the PHA2 but the battery life worry me.  You can always use the USB charger to keep the battery full on the PHA-2, but we are are out of luck on the ZX1.  Shame that Sony has to put the WM-Port on everything.  I wish I can charge the ZX1 while using its USB digital output.

post #6018 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

I'm considering getting my hand on the PHA2 but the battery life worry me.  You can always use the USB charger to keep the battery full on the PHA-2, but we are are out of luck on the ZX1.  Shame that Sony has to put the WM-Port on everything.  I wish I can charge the ZX1 while using its USB digital output.


Actually FYI, not only does the ZX-1 cannot be charged while in use, the PHA2 cannot be used while it is charging as well.

post #6019 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelai57 View Post

Though if you were using 3.5mm to connect there are tons of other amps to consider. I thought the reason for digital to PHA-2 is so that we get DSD native playback?


Yup, that is why I only use the digital connection solely for the zx1 and pha2. This is my home rig and i do hook it up to the E12DIY as well so its quite a big stack.

post #6020 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by delrosa81 View Post
 


Actually FYI, not only does the ZX-1 cannot be charged while in use, the PHA2 cannot be used while it is charging as well.

Wow...that is a let down that's for sure.  I'm pretty satisfied with the ZX-1 but I don't mind adding the PHA2 if it can elevate the overall sound quality by just 20%.  Can anyone quantify the improvements?  Thanks.

post #6021 of 6599
I'll be getting my ZX1 back from Shigzeo but I'm sure I can use the ZX1 whilst charging. Just disable/stop USB mode. It'll rescan but music player will pop back up.

Dunno about PHA-2, will take your word for it.
post #6022 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

Wow...that is a let down that's for sure.  I'm pretty satisfied with the ZX-1 but I don't mind adding the PHA2 if it can elevate the overall sound quality by just 20%.  Can anyone quantify the improvements?  Thanks.

I'm an amateur so I cannot really describe the improvements, especially in terms of quantifying the improvements. But what I can share is that, it improvements the way the sound is produced in your IEMs, the music is more dynamic and punchier by abit which I think justifies the money spent. Are you able to audition the zx-1 with the pha-2 amp before buying?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

I'll be getting my ZX1 back from Shigzeo but I'm sure I can use the ZX1 whilst charging. Just disable/stop USB mode. It'll rescan but music player will pop back up.

Dunno about PHA-2, will take your word for it.

What I actually meant was, if the ZX-1 is digitally connected via the WM port to the PHA-2, you cannot charge it in this mode as the WM port is being used. If you used the ZX-1 alone, you can charge and use it at the same time, no problem on that.

 

As for the PHA-2, if you plug in the charger, if the amp is switched on, it will not charge, the charging light will not come on till you switch the amp off then the amp will charge and the charging light will come on.

post #6023 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

Wow...that is a let down that's for sure.  I'm pretty satisfied with the ZX-1 but I don't mind adding the PHA2 if it can elevate the overall sound quality by just 20%.  Can anyone quantify the improvements?  Thanks.

 

I'd say the improvement is easily around 20%.  The main things for me are the soundstage seems to be larger, a bit more body to the sound and the PHA-2 also seems to make everything sound smoother than it already is. 

 

As much as I love the PHA-2 I am now selling mine, my portable listening needs have changed a bit the last couple of months and no longer need the DAC and AMP of the PHA-2.  Will probably regret it in a few months but hey-ho that's the world of portable audio!!

post #6024 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by West726 View Post

Wow, that would be great!  Hope it turns up . . .

I looked but to no avail... Sorry.

You can use zx1 while charging.
post #6025 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCol View Post
 

 

I'd say the improvement is easily around 20%.  The main things for me are the soundstage seems to be larger, a bit more body to the sound and the PHA-2 also seems to make everything sound smoother than it already is. 

 

As much as I love the PHA-2 I am now selling mine, my portable listening needs have changed a bit the last couple of months and no longer need the DAC and AMP of the PHA-2.  Will probably regret it in a few months but hey-ho that's the world of portable audio!!

 

Thanks.  If it is around 20% then it maybe a worth while purchase for me.  I already have the Pico Power but I would prefer a total DAC/Amp combo.  However, the battery life issues is a real shame.   Wish it considerably better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior1975 View Post


I looked but to no avail... Sorry.

You can use zx1 while charging.

I meant when you connect using its digital output via WM Port.  

post #6026 of 6599
The battery power of the pha2 is not too bad when not using hi-res DAC. Around 12 hours maybe a bit more.
post #6027 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCol View Post

The battery power of the pha2 is not too bad when not using hi-res DAC. Around 12 hours maybe a bit more.

I'm concern with the battery on the ZX when connect digitally with the PHA2.  From my experience I couldn't get more than 4-5 hours when using a digital out from the ZX1 to my DAC.

post #6028 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post

I'm concern with the battery on the ZX when connect digitally with the PHA2.  From my experience I couldn't get more than 4-5 hours when using a digital out from the ZX1 to my DAC.

I've had around 7-8 hours when using the zx1 with the pha2 DAC.
post #6029 of 6599
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post

Thanks.  If it is around 20% then it maybe a worth while purchase for me.  I already have the Pico Power but I would prefer a total DAC/Amp combo.  However, the battery life issues is a real shame.   Wish it considerably better.
I meant when you connect using its digital output via WM Port.

Sorry, I should have realized that. I'm with Purk, 5-6 hours with pha2 for me as well.
post #6030 of 6599

can you use the google play music app with the ZX1?... thinking of subscribing to it so need to know if it works, cheers for any help.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model