Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model - Page 390

post #5836 of 6604
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

 

IMO, portable setups are becoming very poor value.

 

Captive market - people who want the highest quality portable sound are always going to want to tick the size/sound/battery boxes even if the price is incomprehensibly ridiculous (which it is).  I'm looking for a new DAP myself and really struggling to make a choice, the perfect unit doesn't seem to exist.  The one most people seem to like (from reading so many posts I've lost count) overall is the AK240, which is overpriced.  I'd be surprised if the manufacturing cost is even a 5th of the retail, struggling to find a place I could demo one to see if it's true or not.

 

I wanted to try out the ZX1 to see if all the 'low volume' claims would be a problem with my Denons which are aimed at being portable friendly.  The local Sony store closed down several years ago though.

post #5837 of 6604
Quote:
Originally Posted by system11 View Post
 

 

Captive market - people who want the highest quality portable sound are always going to want to tick the size/sound/battery boxes even if the price is incomprehensibly ridiculous (which it is).  I'm looking for a new DAP myself and really struggling to make a choice, the perfect unit doesn't seem to exist.  The one most people seem to like (from reading so many posts I've lost count) overall is the AK240, which is overpriced.  I'd be surprised if the manufacturing cost is even a 5th of the retail, struggling to find a place I could demo one to see if it's true or not.

 

I wanted to try out the ZX1 to see if all the 'low volume' claims would be a problem with my Denons which are aimed at being portable friendly.  The local Sony store closed down several years ago though.

Great point, hence the reason I brought up the pricing between the AK240 vs. Justin GS-X MKII.  Despite being a totally different product, the GS-X MKII will continue to maintain its value as is truly a work of art and it really sounds the part.  The AK240 will fare much worst given AK's marketing strategies and overall poor value.  

 

How about adding a Pico Power to your ZX1 when you need more power to drive the Denons?  That's what I'm doing to cover both bases.

post #5838 of 6604
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

How about adding a Pico Power to your ZX1 when you need more power to drive the Denons?  That's what I'm doing to cover both bases.

 

My only opportunities to listen to music are on headphones, usually in the office or the train.  I really don't want to start carrying a dap+amp around or having a separate setup for the few times I can listen at home.  Can't stand in-ear types and I need closed because I don't inflict my music on people around me, so proper closed cans are a pre-requisite.  Luckily there are some good low impedence ones around now, but even with the Denons (25 ohm) I'm having to crank my iAudio X7 to the high 20s (out of 40) for some older recordings blissfully made before the loudness wars ruined digital audio.

 

It's a shame there's no DAP recordings site (Sonic Sense do one for headphones).  Of limited use since whatever you play them back with will colour the recording, but as a relative guide it's .. decent.


Edited by system11 - 6/27/14 at 4:22pm
post #5839 of 6604
Quote:
Originally Posted by system11 View Post
 

 

My only opportunities to listen to music are on headphones, usually in the office or the train.  I really don't want to start carrying a dap+amp around or having a separate setup for the few times I can listen at home.  Can't stand in-ear types and I need closed because I don't inflict my music on people around me, so proper closed cans are a pre-requisite.  Luckily there are some good low impedence ones around now, but even with the Denons (25 ohm) I'm having to crank my iAudio X7 to the high 20s (out of 40) for some older recordings blissfully made before the loudness wars ruined digital audio.

 

It's a shame there's no DAP recordings site (Sonic Sense do one for headphones).  Of limited use since whatever you play them back with will colour the recording, but as a relative guide it's .. decent.

How about the Pico Slim?  That should take care of the volume issue for you despite the its tiny tiny size.  Otherwise, get the Hifiman 901.

post #5840 of 6604

Really was tempted to seek one for a demo until I found out they don't have any EQ settings.  I don't use them much but sometimes you get recordings which are just plain .. wrong, right from the studio.

post #5841 of 6604
Pico slim is a very interesting little amp. I almost bought it... I still may down the road. The intruder sounds great, but too bulky for the gym. zx1 is just a little to weak, that's my biggest gripe with it. I probably play my music a hit too loud though.
post #5842 of 6604
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

So ....our beloved ZX1 should sound even better than all of the AK DAPs beside the AK240 then given Anax preference of ZX1 over the AK120?  And according to one of the member here, the iPhone 5S should sound even better than most of the AK offerings given that he likes the sound of his iPhone 5S just as much as the ZX1.  What I'm trying to say is that this whole DAPs things are getting out of control.  :D

Yes, give two years max and the lone Dap/amp concept will be dead IMO. Phones will replace them and make calls as well as a bonus, no need to bring all that additional stuff and expense around.

Wait what Samsung has installed for us with the upcoming 6 model!!!


Edited by Cecala - 6/27/14 at 9:39pm
post #5843 of 6604

having heard the Hugo, phones may as well be made on Uranus as they have no chance of catching up with Chord anytime soon.

enjoy your new Samsung phone, when it arrives... :beerchug:

post #5844 of 6604

Phones won't kill high end DAPs.  They're made to a budget and can do lots of things 'pretty well', you'll never see them kill handheld games consoles or good digital cameras for example, they just take a big bite out of the low end.  The ZW1 is an interesting case here because that more or less is an Android phone that can't make calls, but if it could there would be no market for it since it would be too expensive for a phone, while not good enough as one overall to compete with really high end handsets (size/battery etc) which phone enthusiasts would go for.

 

 

post #5845 of 6604
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK-Guy View Post
 

had two updates for my ZX1 today (don't panic it's the previous & current).. forgot just how much I love its design.

 

I can detect differences between ZX1 & F887 now, they're subtle but apparent... I'll do some A & B'ing over the weekend, first time I've had both in my hands for months.

 

Interesting....so I am not going insane then :) Look forward to hearing your feedback on this. If you still have the Dave Brubeck demo track on your DAPs, then you will be able to clearly hear the bass difference.

post #5846 of 6604

hey guys . . . its not just  a walkman  .. .  its as is called  a  "high rez audio player" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies/gs1000.gif" /> . " it has 128 gb of storage" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies/eek.gif" /> , an inbuilt amplifier and android 4.2 . . . ohh and by the way , it costs about 750 to 800 $ . smily_headphones1.gif" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies/L3000.gif" /> 

post #5847 of 6604

I'm thinking over to purchase a ZX1 but I've got some doubts that I have to clear up before. I've always been faithful to Sony but the last walkman I bought, the Z1060, quite disappointed me specifically for its sound quality comparing it to my earlier walkman, the A818, which with the EX IEM's including sounded tremendously when I listened to it first, so I took for granted that the Z1000's for their price range would have at least the same SQ. The basses were weak, everything sounded dull in general, the volume not loud enough even at highest rod level to the extent that it occurred to me that the AVLS was on (it wasn't) (mine is the Japanese imported model).

Anyway I may be wrong about this and perhaps other people think the Z1000's sound is great but I didn't like it at all from the very moment I tried it first. It's likely a problem of this series, I haven't tried the F series yet so I can't compare.

So the question is somebody tell me wether the ZX1 is as good as it's said and worthwhile or it's on the same track of the Z1000 series. I've kept faithful to Sony for many years but I don't want to spend a great amount of money to meet another disappointment, I also heard great praises about the Z1000 before purchasing it. I'm weighing up other options like Astell & Kern, iBasso, Cowon, etc

post #5848 of 6604

Wait for the Cowon P1 it looks like a winner at this stage, better value for money.

post #5849 of 6604
Quote:
Originally Posted by system11 View Post
 

Phones won't kill high end DAPs.  They're made to a budget and can do lots of things 'pretty well', you'll never see them kill handheld games consoles or good digital cameras for example, they just take a big bite out of the low end.  The ZW1 is an interesting case here because that more or less is an Android phone that can't make calls, but if it could there would be no market for it since it would be too expensive for a phone, while not good enough as one overall to compete with really high end handsets (size/battery etc) which phone enthusiasts would go for.

 

 

 


I agree on the camera aspect although team an amp to a decent phone and it will do it. Sony could quite easily combine or add a phone component to the Zx-1 if it wanted although it's about selling you more than one item. I would like to hold double blind tests with some people on this forum, I bet they couldn't tell the difference between a plate of spagetti or a roll of toilet paper.


Edited by Cecala - 6/28/14 at 8:41pm
post #5850 of 6604
It looks real nice...That and the Calyx. I should just keep my money and enjoy the zx1.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model