or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model - Page 384

post #5746 of 7455
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCol View Post
 

Battery life is excellent when in flight mode, not timed useage but can use for a good few hours between charges.

 

I didn't mean to time it but for my use it's around 2 days. I almost always keep it on flight mode except when I find out about an update such as recently. I don't use this for anything other than music so no need to keep anything unnecessary turned on.

post #5747 of 7455
my battery lasts forever as well. Standby probably losing 1/2% per hour, maybe a bit less. Playing music seems to last very well too, haven't timed it but battery is more than sufficient for me. Great player overall, but I am curious about some of the other high end DAP, I don't have much of a reference. Note 3 or Ipod touch 6g.
post #5748 of 7455
Anyone got the disable sound enhancements trick to work anymore after 1.11 update?

edit: Got it working again after turning on clearaudio+, surround sound, DSEE, then all off, and xloud and clearphase off and on again, then disable SE.
Edited by forsberg - 6/21/14 at 9:32pm
post #5749 of 7455
Any difference in sound signature or SQ after update?
post #5750 of 7455
No. Sounds the same to me.
post #5751 of 7455
Thanks!!
post #5752 of 7455
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior1975 View Post

my battery lasts forever as well. Standby probably losing 1/2% per hour, maybe a bit less. Playing music seems to last very well too, haven't timed it but battery is more than sufficient for me. Great player overall, but I am curious about some of the other high end DAP, I don't have much of a reference. Note 3 or Ipod touch 6g.

 

I.ve been using the ZX1 for the last few weeks along side a DX90.  I got mocked a bit in the DX90 thread when I said that to me the ZX1 is up there if not better than the DX90.

Here's my reasons.

The DX90 is a great player at a great price, almost half the price of the ZX1.  It drives all my iem's with no problem and it probably has slightly better detail and layering to the sound than the ZX1.  However the ZX1 has something that I cant quite put my finger on that makes me use it more, its not the UI which by the way is far easier and more fluid to use than the DX90.  There's just something about the sound that makes me want to use it more.  To my ears it feels less clinical than the DX90, more musical, thats not to say the DX90 isnt musical because it is, its just not quite as smooth and lush as the ZX1.  This becomes more apparent to me when pairing with the DAC section of the PHA-2, this adds a whole load of smoothness and extra detail to the ZX1.

 

My intention was to keep one and sell the other but I cant, I love both players but if I had to choose I would probably plump for the Sony.

 

I owned the DX100 a few months ago and although not able to compare directly, I would say that both the ZX1 and the DX90 come very close and in some ways surpass the DX100 both in terms of SQ and ease of use, although this is using fairly easy to drive iem's, I know others prefer the DX100 for full size cans.

post #5753 of 7455
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCol View Post

 

I.ve been using the ZX1 for the last few weeks along side a DX90.  I got mocked a bit in the DX90 thread when I said that to me the ZX1 is up there if not better than the DX90.
Here's my reasons.
The DX90 is a great player at a great price, almost half the price of the ZX1.  It drives all my iem's with no problem and it probably has slightly better detail and layering to the sound than the ZX1.  However the ZX1 has something that I cant quite put my finger on that makes me use it more, its not the UI which by the way is far easier and more fluid to use than the DX90.  There's just something about the sound that makes me want to use it more.  To my ears it feels less clinical than the DX90, more musical, thats not to say the DX90 isnt musical because it is, its just not quite as smooth and lush as the ZX1.  This becomes more apparent to me when pairing with the DAC section of the PHA-2, this adds a whole load of smoothness and extra detail to the ZX1.

My intention was to keep one and sell the other but I cant, I love both players but if I had to choose I would probably plump for the Sony.

I owned the DX100 a few months ago and although not able to compare directly, I would say that both the ZX1 and the DX90 come very close and in some ways surpass the DX100 both in terms of SQ and ease of use, although this is using fairly easy to drive

iem's, I know others prefer the DX100 for full size cans.


Possibly a reflection of Sony's house sound winning you over, which by all means many find inviting. I've come to believe there's a lot more to sound quality than raw detail or aggressive extension in vocals (an example). The true DAP that keeps you coming back is one that can cover many aspects (Including UI). The secret is to find a happy medium between all those atrributes then find balance, in simple terms "a good dose of everything". Which is possibly what ZX1 does for you. Like you said: It might not be as detailed as DX90 though it's doing more for you.
Edited by H20Fidelity - 6/22/14 at 8:24am
post #5754 of 7455
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post
 


Possibly a reflection of Sony's house sound winning you over, which by all means many find inviting. I've come to believe there's a lot more to sound quality that raw detail or aggressive extension in vocals (an example). The true DAP that keeps you coming back is one that can cover many aspects (Including UI). The secret is to find a happy medium between all those atrributes then find balance, in simple terms "a good dose of everything". Which is possibly what ZX1 does for you. Like you said: It might not be as detailed as DX90 though it's doing more for you.

 

Cant argue with that, always quite liked the Sony sound over the years with various MD units and a 20gb player that I cant remember the name of, think it was the hd5 or similar.

Like I say I will be keeping the DX90 as well because it is also an excellent DAP.  Did try the Fiio X5 but to me it couldnt match the ZX1 or DX90.

post #5755 of 7455
Yeah but part of my reason of getting a zx1 is to bluetooth my flac music over to my bose, tell that to dx90 owners redface.gif

I've sold my dx100 and iPod touch for this baby
post #5756 of 7455
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCol View Post
 

 

Cant argue with that, always quite liked the Sony sound over the years with various MD units and a 20gb player that I cant remember the name of, think it was the hd5 or similar.

Like I say I will be keeping the DX90 as well because it is also an excellent DAP.  Did try the Fiio X5 but to me it couldnt match the ZX1 or DX90.


This is Head-fi after all. Any audio addict sane person wouldn't have it any other way. 

post #5757 of 7455
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post
 


This is Head-fi after all. Any audio addict sane person wouldn't have it any other way. 

 

LOL

post #5758 of 7455
I hope to have a different dap in the near future, Calyx M is on my radar. I have a strange feeling I might prefer the Sony though. Maybe it's the signature, the UI, the way it looks, or some combination of that which makes me love it. Maybe it brings me back to better days and nicer memories. Discman, mp3, MD players, etc. Not sure, not even sure if I care either as it just makes me smile. That's why we do this... to enjoy and be happy. Have to stop questioning the good sometimes and just sit back and enjoy.
post #5759 of 7455

some great post today enjoyed reading them, I might keep the PHA-2 now as I've liked it since day one & that still remains the case.

 

the Sony sound.... I can go back to the Cassette days, Sony have always stood apart sound-wise but it really is hard to pin-point an actual house sound, imo they have always had a warm, rich & detailed sound which makes things more musical to these ears... the players may of changed but Sony have remained faithful to the Walkman sound.

post #5760 of 7455
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCol View Post
 

 

I.ve been using the ZX1 for the last few weeks along side a DX90.  I got mocked a bit in the DX90 thread when I said that to me the ZX1 is up there if not better than the DX90.

Here's my reasons.

The DX90 is a great player at a great price, almost half the price of the ZX1.  It drives all my iem's with no problem and it probably has slightly better detail and layering to the sound than the ZX1.  However the ZX1 has something that I cant quite put my finger on that makes me use it more, its not the UI which by the way is far easier and more fluid to use than the DX90.  There's just something about the sound that makes me want to use it more.  To my ears it feels less clinical than the DX90, more musical, thats not to say the DX90 isnt musical because it is, its just not quite as smooth and lush as the ZX1.  This becomes more apparent to me when pairing with the DAC section of the PHA-2, this adds a whole load of smoothness and extra detail to the ZX1.

 

My intention was to keep one and sell the other but I cant, I love both players but if I had to choose I would probably plump for the Sony.

 

I owned the DX100 a few months ago and although not able to compare directly, I would say that both the ZX1 and the DX90 come very close and in some ways surpass the DX100 both in terms of SQ and ease of use, although this is using fairly easy to drive iem's, I know others prefer the DX100 for full size cans.

I am of the opinion that there is not best dap/amp, ear/headphones, etc. It all boils down to the preference of the individual and of course we do see certain products being more popular than others, maybe due to popularity of certain features/performance, etc. We keep what we like to listen to and it is a very individual thing and we respect that. For now, the ZX1 is my favorite squeeze but the only thing I'm not too happy about is the battery life but its only been the 3rd charge, therefore I hope after a few more charges, the battery will be more stable and last that little bit longer :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model