Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model - Page 334

post #4996 of 6516
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCol View Post
 

I read on another thread that the Sony F880/ZX1 range was not in the same league as the DX90/Fiio X5.  I find this very hard to believe as both the DX90 and ZX1 are truly astounding players with imo very little to choose between them.  I dont think buyers could go wrong with either.

 

for some reason Sony's get knocked in other threads, mainly by people who have never heard one so they surmise things.

 

look forward to more reasoned thoughts for sure.

post #4997 of 6516
Quote:
Originally Posted by ads1107 View Post

Odd. Idle shouldn't be taking up that much. For reference, my nexus 5 is currently sitting on 5% for idle. Perhaps other zx1 owners can check their battery info.

Software up to date? If so, id try a master reset and start fresh. Warning. It will wipe the memory.

Not sure if you are familiar with android devices but resets more often that not sort out little niggles like thesr.

If that fails, sounds like Sony need to sort it out in an update then.

Edit: after idle, what's the next biggest drain?

Can't really compare to Nexus 5, its running different version of android, and more importantly on different chipset (probably, didn't check), and different kernel.

 

Well of course it should be better on ZX1 since its not connected to GSM networks etc. Wonder how much Sony put effort to tweaking the kernel for this device.

 

My old android phone(Desire Z) could do below 1% per hour on power consumption with the right cpu tweaks (importantly under clock to ~300MHz on idle). I did notice form this thread that ZX1 has been rooted, so the kernel could be tweaked to lower power consumption and better memory management, wonder if there are any tweaks released/devs working on em?

 

Also sony may not have been so concerned about idle since its a music player so they might have assumed that it will be turned off when not in use, unlike phones.

 

I'm just a lurker on this thread, looking for some good player, maybe this one or cowon P1, or Cylax M... But still holding from getting one of em.


Edited by Whippler - 4/25/14 at 9:43am
post #4998 of 6516
I recently bought pfe232 and planning to buy sony zx1 next. What do you think for the harmony between those two. Would another dap be better inthis price ramge?
post #4999 of 6516
My device idle is sitting at 71% I've disabled everything I can think of too?! Gotta say that this issue is the one thing that I'm not happy with on this device. I need to find the solution.....
post #5000 of 6516
Just so I could be the 5000th post ;-)

Not sure why that should matter in my life, I should have bigger things to worry about?
Edited by Lidster - 4/25/14 at 12:26pm
post #5001 of 6516

I got my ZX-1 on Wednesday (via a Japanese seller on eBay) and haven't had any issues with battery life. Took it off the charger nearly 9 hours ago and am sitting at 83% battery life. Total listening time was roughly 90 minutes to a variety of FLAC files during that with the rest of the time it being in standby at my desk at work (screen off).

 

Current settings:

 

- Account Sync (Gmail and other Google services), Wifi, Bluetooth, NFC all OFF (I use it exclusively as a DAP)

- Screen brightness at roughly 15%

 

I found the biggest battery killer for me was using wifi and the stock brightness settings when I was originally setting up my accounts on FTL and setup. If you're using it just as a DAP it seems as if it is able to get pretty great battery life. Using it as a mobile internet-connected device, the battery life seems to drain much more quickly.

 

EDIT: Just for an FYI, I'm using Shure SE846 IEMs as well.


Edited by Spamateur - 4/25/14 at 2:07pm
post #5002 of 6516

Does anyone know whether doing a daily (or even a couple times / day) 8 sec. reset will harm the device's lifespan at all? I've been doing resets to do that higher output trick mentioned several pages back. I really like the sound happening with it, and it's hard to go back to the less powerful sound that having the sound adjustments activated causes. 

 

Another thing I've noticed with the output power trick going is that my battery life seems to have a lot longer. I mean I started listening this morning at work with it indicating about a half charge, and with probably 4-6 hours' listening it hasn't budged at all. I just hope that deactivating the sound adjustments in apps as in the the poster's instructions doesn't also deactivate the battery meter! Hopefully it's the former, and it's a nice side perk to have the longer battery life. I haven't done any documentation for exact time length differences, but I swear it's lasting significantly longer....

post #5003 of 6516
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn11 View Post
 

Does anyone know whether doing a daily (or even a couple times / day) 8 sec. reset will harm the device's lifespan at all? I've been doing resets to do that higher output trick mentioned several pages back. I really like the sound happening with it, and it's hard to go back to the less powerful sound that having the sound adjustments activated causes. 

 

Another thing I've noticed with the output power trick going is that my battery life seems to have a lot longer. I mean I started listening this morning at work with it indicating about a half charge, and with probably 4-6 hours' listening it hasn't budged at all. I just hope that deactivating the sound adjustments in apps as in the the poster's instructions doesn't also deactivate the battery meter! Hopefully it's the former, and it's a nice side perk to have the longer battery life. I haven't done any documentation for exact time length differences, but I swear it's lasting significantly longer....

Good question. Are you using a third party battery monitor app as well? Wondering if that would show any drain.

 

Btw, I highly recommend this free (and ad-free) battery monitor app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=battery.monitor

post #5004 of 6516

my 886 was sitting at a massive 83% at idle,i have switched everything off and got it down to 58%,that still seems to high,Sony promised about

 

Long battery life

Up to 35 hours playback with MP3, up to 26 hours of Hi-Res Audio.

 

 

post #5005 of 6516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamateur View Post
 

Good question. Are you using a third party battery monitor app as well? Wondering if that would show any drain.

 

Btw, I highly recommend this free (and ad-free) battery monitor app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=battery.monitor

 

No third party one, just the stock icon at the top of the screen....

post #5006 of 6516
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn11 View Post
 

 

No third party one, just the stock icon at the top of the screen....

Wondering if a third party battery app would show the same lack of drain the battery icon is apparently showing. Have you seen any drain when you look in the battery section of the settings menu?

post #5007 of 6516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamateur View Post
 

Wondering if a third party battery app would show the same lack of drain the battery icon is apparently showing. Have you seen any drain when you look in the battery section of the settings menu?

 

It is definitely draining, but much more slowly it seems. I can see the difference now from this morning when I go to the battery area of settings... I'm going to have to pay close attention to this because if it truly has slowed down this much, this is a huge battery saving perk! 

post #5008 of 6516
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK-Guy View Post
 

 

for some reason Sony's get knocked in other threads, mainly by people who have never heard one so they surmise things.

 

look forward to more reasoned thoughts for sure.

Did you notice the ZX1 in the latest Headfi TV episode?  The ZX-1 got less than 30 second of air time while the AK240 had an entire episode.

post #5009 of 6516

One of the two manufacturers must be a heavier sponsor.

post #5010 of 6516
F886 xd1 are basically same hardware, so I say this, remove any program that may pool the processor, otherwise battery drain. Use power toggles if you want to monitor battery and other stuff without draining the battery. The pha 2 however, drains my battery as if there were no tomorrow on idle, have to turn off both player and amp, when using both, I easily get 6+ hours of playback. Remember to really disable all Google services except perhaps for play store and hangouts, that way I really saw a battery life of 2x what I had before, specially with the pha 2 connected.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model