or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model - Page 34

post #496 of 7455
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpunk View Post

Anak,
Did you check if any DSP was on such as clear audio? That would explain the larger staging.
I usualy hate using any EQ or DSP but I would have to admit to really enjoy it on the xperia Z.

 

Mmmm... I'm not a fan of DSP, either, generally, but I feel similarly to you in that it makes the Cowon J3 sound better than it otherwise would. However, it does (on the J3) spoil imaging accuracy. It's worth it, on the J3, though, since it makes the soundstage less 'in your head', and thus less fatiguing to listen to.

post #497 of 7455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

Well all I can tell you is that I was browsing Price Japan and my evil twin, Mimoz the Grey, took over and made me order the ZX1...when I came back to my senses it was too late...the paypal had gone through.

 

Hah! I've already made up my mind with this one, considering I've only had the NW-F807 in the car now for the last 3 months or so. So does the pre-order result in the 3 year warranty that was spoken of earlier in this thread or was that merely a rumour?

 

I figure even though I will be working in Russia when it's released, if my employer does fly me back home for Christmas break, then I get my present as well to take back to Russia for the remaining contract ('till March 2014). If I can convince my employer to fly me to Japan for Christmas instead, even sweeter and I won't care about the warranty. I've been dying to go back to Japan for a holiday anyway. :P

post #498 of 7455

i really want this one guys, does anyone know if Price Japan will ship to UK avoiding customs,as in low cost?

post #499 of 7455

Thanks Anak.  I don't mind a large soundstage at all as long as it isn't done at the expense of good imaging.  In fact, a larger soundstage will be welcomed for many IEMs or closed phones which tend to have smaller headstage. Hi-rez files will also sound even better.  

 

Many thanks for taking the time to be there.  Did you get a chance to audition the F886/887?  I'm very curious about that DAP as well.  Pity the ZX1 won't get released until December of this year.

post #500 of 7455
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

As long as you bear mind I only had 5 mins with it & was limited to their tracks. Luckily they had 2 which I had but source is somewhat different. Their Norah Jones' Come Away With Me had only one track, Don't Know Why which was in 24/192 whilst my AK120 was in DSF (but who knows how AK120 realtime converts & downsamples to what bitrate. etc.). My HM-901 has the same in 24/192 converted from eye newer SACD version of Don't Know Why.

Ok with that difference out of the way, the first thing I picked up was how more "spaced out" the vocals sounded in comparison to both the AK120 & HM-901. By this I mean the AK120 & HM-901 sounded more "intimate". Whether this was actually bigger staging, I can't say yet but initial perceived staging felt larger than the AK120 at least. The fullness of the sound though sounded closer to the HM-901 than the AK120. Oh this is off the SigDJ BTW. I did switch briefly over to the TG!334 & sentiments somewhat stayed the same.

I can't speak for detail & resolution as I had such little time there. Actually I think one guy behind in the queue saw me whip out the AK120, HM-901, SigDJ & TG!334 & left the queue tongue.gif.

Overall in terms of the weight, it feels lighter than I expected. Performance-wise, very briefly it feels more like the last gen/current gen android h/w (so maybe 1.5 or 1.7GHz rather than the new 2.2GHz Qualcomm-type performance??). Is not bad but not exactly iPhone 5S snappy if you get my meaning.

Personally, this slightly less intimate presentation intrigues me that I may order one. I don't know if its better than the current competing DAPs but it sure is an alternative sound. The weight is really not what I expected. I like it light but it also feels a little flimsy. Kinda like moving from a Leica M-series to a Canon polycarbonate body. The aluminum body to me is quite akin to the KEF M500's.

Very good impression and very informative for me Sean
I like the model how they look biggrin.gif
I want pair it with my Theorem
post #501 of 7455

ok guys so when will this be available for order i  want this...

post #502 of 7455

Release in Dec. 2013

post #503 of 7455
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by goody View Post
 

ok guys so when will this be available for order i  want this...

 

Originally Posted by tm.chen View Post
 

Release in Dec. 2013

 

There's also the assumption that it'll be released globally, which somehow deep in my guts, I'm not so certain. Of course though, there's always grey market or parallel imports to circumvent that little issue.

post #504 of 7455
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
 

 

 

Of course though, there's always grey market or parallel imports to circumvent that little issue.

 

Yeah, that happened for me with the D-777, which, whilst not absolutely Japan-exclusive, was rather hard to find in the UK. I had to travel to Tottenham Court Road, in London, where they almost always stock stuff that no one else does. Many times I've seen grey market stuff there, which means it's a damned-useful place for UK geeks in search of the latest-&-greatest electronic gizmos.

 

See if you can guess where I may be visiting, soon after the NW-ZX1 is released? :wink_face:

post #505 of 7455

Thanks AnakChan for taking the time to try out this new product.

 

The arrangement of only 5 min demo is a bit weird... looks like Sony thinks that this thing will sell itself no matter what...

 

guys, did you also check out PCM-D100 ? SD card slot and DSD support, looks like the real deal..

post #506 of 7455

is there a gain setting for this sony dap?

post #507 of 7455
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post
 

Thanks AnakChan for taking the time to try out this new product.

 

The arrangement of only 5 min demo is a bit weird... looks like Sony thinks that this thing will sell itself no matter what...

 

guys, did you also check out PCM-D100 ? SD card slot and DSD support, looks like the real deal..

 

If Sony only would provide a decent player with this recorder as well... Like my PCM a lot but playback soft is crappy at best...

post #508 of 7455
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post
 

 

If Sony only would provide a decent player with this recorder as well... Like my PCM a lot but playback soft is crappy at best...

Thanks for the info. do you mean the playback SQ of PCM recorder sucks? On paper, the features of PCM win.. i mean in terms of catching up with the trend of DSD playback on portable devices..

post #509 of 7455
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post
 

Thanks for the info. do you mean the playback SQ of PCM recorder sucks? On paper, the features of PCM win.. i mean in terms of catching up with the trend of DSD playback on portable devices..

 

No No, sorry about that. Sound quality is good through headphone and line out (on my PCM-M10) but playback software sucks in terms that you cannot play random tracks (shuffle), you can only play folder by folder, you don't have options to organize your library and let's say, play by artists, or create playlists, etc. etc. It's main purpose is being a recorder so its software for playback is pretty primitive.

post #510 of 7455
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post
 

 

No No, sorry about that. Sound quality is good through headphone and line out (on my PCM-M10) but playback software sucks in terms that you cannot play random tracks (shuffle), you can only play folder by folder, you don't have options to organize your library and let's say, play by artists, or create playlists, etc. etc. It's main purpose is being a recorder so its software for playback is pretty primitive.

 

Thanks for the clarifications

 

The sony products are quite confusing to me... but I guess the only important question is which one sounds the best...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model