Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model - Page 4

post #46 of 6532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heterodoxa View Post
 

So it seems to be clear that there are a lot of enthusiasts waiting for this DAP, and that the main issue will be the storage.

As said, they still provide their xperia phones with a microSD reader, so I can't understand why Sony shouldn''t put a card reader in this DAP!

Otherwise, they must provide the ZX1 with a big storage, but due to the costs of the flash memory today, we might pay 2/3 of the price only for the memory!!

Maybe the only solution is to provide the device with a hdd similar to the one built in the ipod classic.

There are alot of people here interested it seems although many will get scared off if this device sells north of $800.

post #47 of 6532
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3Seeker View Post
 

Thus better have a huge chunk of storage to make up for everything it may not have. I'm nearing 64 gigs and I'm not using ogg, not even lossless atm. plus video. I'll do some sacrificing in this case since I like sony, otherwise I'll hold my breath for the dream player.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecala View Post
 

Come and gone for me.

Portability is always about tradeoffs. I have more than 64GB of stuff, but I carefully choose what goes on the player. This harks back to the days of needing to carefully choose which tapes to bring on a trip with the cassette-based Walkmans. Even if Sony cracks the 64GB internal storage based on solid state (not HDD like the iPod Classic), it will be a first. It seems like all of the manufacturers have deemed 64GB "good enough".

post #48 of 6532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecala View Post
 

There are alot of people here interested it seems although many will get scared off if this device sells north of $800.

 

I would thoroughly expect this to be north of $600, and possibly $800 if you import the Japanese version. The current NW-F807 is $500ish on eBay all day long. Imagine something with more capacity, etc.

 

There's also a chance it could only be released in Japan, too. Doubtful, but possible.

post #49 of 6532
If it is Japan only, it would not matter to me as long it is not exclusively in Japanese language.

There is always pricejapan.
post #50 of 6532
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderP View Post

 

 

Portability is always about tradeoffs. I have more than 64GB of stuff, but I carefully choose what goes on the player. This harks back to the days of needing to carefully choose which tapes to bring on a trip with the cassette-based Walkmans. Even if Sony cracks the 64GB internal storage based on solid state (not HDD like the iPod Classic), it will be a first. It seems like all of the manufacturers have deemed 64GB "good enough".

 



totally agree. im currently making do with 16gb and changing music everyweek or so. not ideal but i can live with it
post #51 of 6532
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFA View Post

If it is Japan only, it would not matter to me as long it is not exclusively in Japanese language.

There is always pricejapan.

 

The key for us is that the ZX1 needs to support English language.  If it is going to run Andriod, then language should not be a problem.  Man..I'm glad that Sony is focused again about sound.  BTW, I have the DX50 and really like the sound quality.  Still, I prefer the F walkman over it playing just standard lossless files through my JH13pro.

post #52 of 6532
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

 

The key for us is that the ZX1 needs to support English language.  If it is going to run Andriod, then language should not be a problem.  Man..I'm glad that Sony is focused again about sound.  BTW, I have the DX50 and really like the sound quality.  Still, I prefer the F walkman over it playing just standard lossless files through my JH13pro.

 

Me too. My greatest hope is that the ZX1 resembles the sound of a vintage Sony PCDP.

 

I have the DX50 too. It souns nice, but it cannot hold me off the Hifi ET MA9. Additionally I got a Archos 605 for cheap, just for science ;)

post #53 of 6532
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFA View Post

If it is Japan only, it would not matter to me as long it is not exclusively in Japanese language.

There is always pricejapan.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

 

The key for us is that the ZX1 needs to support English language.  If it is going to run Andriod, then language should not be a problem.  Man..I'm glad that Sony is focused again about sound.  BTW, I have the DX50 and really like the sound quality.  Still, I prefer the F walkman over it playing just standard lossless files through my JH13pro.

 

Both the Z and F from Japan support English  right out of the box. Assuming the ZX1 is Android-based (and by all appearances, it looks to be), I would expect the same support.

 

And Sony has been focused on sound - why bother with a dedicated Walkman line when they have the higher end Xperias? They could easily throw the latest and greatest S-Master amp in one and call it a day. That would mean you would need a Japanese phone to use ATRAC but that's a different story altogether.

post #54 of 6532
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderP View Post
 

 

 

 

Both the Z and F from Japan support English  right out of the box. Assuming the ZX1 is Android-based (and by all appearances, it looks to be), I would expect the same support.

 

And Sony has been focused on sound - why bother with a dedicated Walkman line when they have the higher end Xperias? They could easily throw the latest and greatest S-Master amp in one and call it a day. That would mean you would need a Japanese phone to use ATRAC but that's a different story altogether.

 

I'm tempted to import because I still have and like ATRAC personally. Also I would hope that they go with android, or sudo-android. Unless they improved on their own custom OS's I cringe at the thought of anything else running the show

post #55 of 6532
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderP View Post
 

 

 

 

Both the Z and F from Japan support English  right out of the box. Assuming the ZX1 is Android-based (and by all appearances, it looks to be), I would expect the same support.

 

And Sony has been focused on sound - why bother with a dedicated Walkman line when they have the higher end Xperias? They could easily throw the latest and greatest S-Master amp in one and call it a day. That would mean you would need a Japanese phone to use ATRAC but that's a different story altogether.

 

The chances are great, that it is Android.

 

Lets hope not, that they ditch the Walkman line. That would be heartless.

post #56 of 6532

It's almost certain that:

 

1)  It's going to be an android device (from the previous walkman generations and current xperia lines)

2)  It's not going to have any removable storage (per Sony's ways ala Apple to prevent expandability/vulnerabilities)

3)  It will support English.....I've bought Sony Japanese Walkman products all the way back to cassett players/md recorders/md players/discmans (even these had english printed on the device for buttons) and I can't think of 1 device where English wasn't a supported language.

 

The only variables really (now that we know what it looks like) is how good the amp/dac implementation sounds, battery life/cpu type, and storage.

 

Looking to be very solid indeed, I'm excited like the rest of you.

post #57 of 6532
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderP View Post
 

 

 

Portability is always about tradeoffs. I have more than 64GB of stuff, but I carefully choose what goes on the player. This harks back to the days of needing to carefully choose which tapes to bring on a trip with the cassette-based Walkmans. Even if Sony cracks the 64GB internal storage based on solid state (not HDD like the iPod Classic), it will be a first. It seems like all of the manufacturers have deemed 64GB "good enough".

Meh, I can't be arsed with swapping cards/content and the like, I want the whole lot available to 'randomise' RIGHT NOW.

 

I grew up with cassette walkmen (I remember desperately wanting the first one! ) but not having a card slot seems like something from a bye-gone age even to an old fart like me.

Even my ancient Cowon D2 can take a 64GB sd card, I'm pretty sure it'll even take a 128GB!!

Although tiptoeing round the 4000 file limit is also irritating.

 

I'd buy the AK120, but......HOW much!!

 

I like Sony gear, but I've not had a DAP from them since the D2 came out, and the only upcoming DAP that really tempts me is the DX50  ( or maaayyybe the X5 ).

 

Sorry Sony :-/

post #58 of 6532
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui123 View Post
 

3)  It will support English.....I've bought Sony Japanese Walkman products all the way back to cassett players/md recorders/md players/discmans (even these had english printed on the device for buttons) and I can't think of 1 device where English wasn't a supported language.

 

 

The NW-X10xx and NW-A8xx lines did not support English outside of tagging. Maybe they changed it on the NW-A85x or NW-A86x, but I can tell you the NW-A84x did not have English. All the menus were in Japanese. Once they switched to Android, it's English and Japanese.


Edited by FenderP - 9/12/13 at 10:49am
post #59 of 6532

That is truly news to me and I find it pretty strange.  The good part is I know my kanji and kanas so least I'll survive even if it's in Japanese.  Did they make international versions of those in Japan with the English option?  They often have those types of products too for popular electronics with no English support to sell @ duty free stores in Akihabara.

post #60 of 6532
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderP View Post
 

 

 

 

Both the Z and F from Japan support English  right out of the box. Assuming the ZX1 is Android-based (and by all appearances, it looks to be), I would expect the same support.

 

And Sony has been focused on sound - why bother with a dedicated Walkman line when they have the higher end Xperias? They could easily throw the latest and greatest S-Master amp in one and call it a day. That would mean you would need a Japanese phone to use ATRAC but that's a different story altogether.

 

They have been; however, they have not stand still and just use the last generation S-master amplifier on the next offerings.  I'm just glad that they continue to refine their design and focus more on sound quality.  That's why I'm glad they are creating the ZX1.   Why would you need Atrac when Sony is widely support FLAC format now?  Nothing against Atrac as Atrac Lossless is great as well.


Edited by purk - 9/12/13 at 10:47am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model