or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model - Page 248

post #3706 of 7455

All,

I dearly loved the SQ of my old Walkman.  Needed to upgrade a year or so ago and decided on the J3 with Headstage Arrow amp.  Wonderful combination!  Great sound!  But, no direct WiFi, so I have to download FLAC on my PC, convert to Mp3, then transfer to J3.  I was hoping this new Sony would be a great solution.  So, question: SQ comparison of the new Sony with my current setup?

Thanks in advance.

post #3707 of 7455
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgkwgk View Post
 

All,

I dearly loved the SQ of my old Walkman.  Needed to upgrade a year or so ago and decided on the J3 with Headstage Arrow amp.  Wonderful combination!  Great sound!  But, no direct WiFi, so I have to download FLAC on my PC, convert to Mp3, then transfer to J3.  I was hoping this new Sony would be a great solution.  So, question: SQ comparison of the new Sony with my current setup?

Thanks in advance.


going by the description of the sound of the ZX1 , and the cowon J3 that I own , I would have to say they are pretty different especially if you go all in with the J3 sound tweaks

post #3708 of 7455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrias View Post
 


going by the description of the sound of the ZX1 , and the cowon J3 that I own , I would have to say they are pretty different especially if you go all in with the J3 sound tweaks


would you say the extra £££ for the zx1 is really worth paying over the j3? i mean there is about a £300 difference

post #3709 of 7455
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabetagaga View Post
 


would you say the extra £££ for the zx1 is really worth paying over the j3? i mean there is about a £300 difference


Again , I think they are pretty different , the cowon is warmer than the sony in terms of sound , to be fair the sony have more updated software compared to cowon, running android and the like, having an actual line out and the ability to scale with compatible usb dac . If I would have to choose to speend 300 pound more , yes I would spend it to upgrade to the ZX1

post #3710 of 7455

hi, 

 can't decide between calyx m and zx1 , 

 

anyone can provide with differences ? will b using wit the roxanne 

 

thank u

post #3711 of 7455
Quote:
Originally Posted by liyzag1 View Post
 

hi, 

 can't decide between calyx m and zx1 , 

 

anyone can provide with differences ? will b using wit the roxanne 

 

thank u

No one has the calyx m yet, so you'll have to wait.

post #3712 of 7455

Good thoughts.  I'm going to sit tight (J3 plus amp) until Sony comes out with something more compelling than the ZX1.  I just hope they don't ignore the US market as they have in the past.

post #3713 of 7455
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabetagaga View Post
 


would you say the extra £££ for the zx1 is really worth paying over the j3? i mean there is about a £300 difference

 

Alpha... you could always get a F886-32gb (£250) or F887-64gb (£300)... the SQ difference is almost non-existent, the ZX1 has a touch more (minimal) in the highs & bass region.

post #3714 of 7455

I got a question, I own an F886, which I heavily enjoy coupled with my xba h3, the only limiting factor I see is the memory capacity. Then again I also own an xperia z ultra (for the guy that complained about light blending, this has none... Unless you open the USB port cover) how would compare the xperia z ultra coupled with the Sony PHA-2 amp against the F886 or the ZX1 using the H3 headphones in sound quality? 

post #3715 of 7455

Vect... you may be better off connecting the Xperia via the USB lead and use the PHA-2 via the DAC/Amp, it would give you better results I reckon.

 

using via H/O or line out directly into PHA-2 will have minor benefits as you'll only be amplifying the SQ signal you're feeding it, though the PHA-2 adds a little warmth & the bass will go deeper, all good imo, gives me a slightly different flavour... yummy tasting as they say.

post #3716 of 7455

Found an english video unboxing/ review of the ZX1:



Skip to the 8:00 minute mark to check out some 24bit audio wifi streaming action!

post #3717 of 7455
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjaynine View Post
 

Found an english video unboxing/ review of the ZX1:



Skip to the 8:00 minute mark to check out some 24bit audio wifi streaming action!

Thanks.  I've been doing hi-rez streaming via DLNA since my 2nd day.  Awesome player...really love mine.  Just gone through the entire youtube review and this guy did a great job unboxing the ZX1.  I need to check out "BubbleUPnP" app.


Edited by purk - 2/13/14 at 11:26am
post #3718 of 7455
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK-Guy View Post
 

Vect... you may be better off connecting the Xperia via the USB lead and use the PHA-2 via the DAC/Amp, it would give you better results I reckon.

 

using via H/O or line out directly into PHA-2 will have minor benefits as you'll only be amplifying the SQ signal you're feeding it, though the PHA-2 adds a little warmth & the bass will go deeper, all good imo, gives me a slightly different flavour... yummy tasting as they say.


I gotta say, this would be like having the best of the two worlds, one of the most beautiful screens and quite one of the best audio performing players too... Anybody interested in swapping his PHA-2 for my F886? jaja.

post #3719 of 7455
I don't know if this has been answered or not, but does the ZX1 feature gapless playback?
post #3720 of 7455
Yes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model