Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model - Page 220

post #3286 of 6177
Does anyone know if the ZX1 can take DSD (DSF) files?
post #3287 of 6177
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonix View Post

Does anyone know if the ZX1 can take DSD (DSF) files?

Unfortunately not yet.
post #3288 of 6177
I compared the ZX1 with the HM901 and the AK120 titan, and came away really unimpressed with the Astell and Kern. The AK unit is beautiful though and has a nice UI; if it weren't for that though, I would call their product a rip-off.

The ZX1 and 901 sound significantly better and well rounded, having the 901 balanced card pulling ahead. Too bad it´s a monster and annoying to operate.

I ultimately just ordered the ZX1 as it is close to the 901 but has great functionality and finish (physical buttons are amazingly convenient).

I get pretty good pricing on Hifiman as where i work is an official dealer of it, and my pricing on it is better than Sony's cost ratio; but for once I'd rather get something that operates smoothly rather than the best sound possible.

The portable audio world sets such different standards... I'm not quite used to it smily_headphones1.gif
post #3289 of 6177
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

I ultimately just ordered the ZX1 as it is close to the 901 but has great functionality and finish (physical buttons are amazingly convenient).
 

Hi d, congrats on your order. Where are you ordering from and is the manual available in English? I think the answer is no, is there the availability of increasing memory from 128GB?

post #3290 of 6177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post

Hi d, congrats on your order. Where are you ordering from and is the manual available in English? I think the answer is no, is there the availability of increasing memory from 128GB?
Hi there, I ordered through my Sony rep, only getting it in February. Memory is not expandable, the only large drawback about this product. I therefore don't have the manual.
post #3291 of 6177
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post



Hi there, I ordered through my Sony rep, only getting it in February. Memory is not expandable, the only large drawback about this product. I therefore don't have the manual.

 



Manual's all in Japanese unfortunately for those who can't read Japanese xD
post #3292 of 6177
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

I compared the ZX1 with the HM901 and the AK120 titan, and came away really unimpressed with the Astell and Kern. The AK unit is beautiful though and has a nice UI; if it weren't for that though, I would call their product a rip-off.

The ZX1 and 901 sound significantly better and well rounded, having the 901 balanced card pulling ahead. Too bad it´s a monster and annoying to operate.

I ultimately just ordered the ZX1 as it is close to the 901 but has great functionality and finish (physical buttons are amazingly convenient).

I get pretty good pricing on Hifiman as where i work is an official dealer of it, and my pricing on it is better than Sony's cost ratio; but for once I'd rather get something that operates smoothly rather than the best sound possible.

The portable audio world sets such different standards... I'm not quite used to it smily_headphones1.gif

Can you tell us more about what music you listen to and what headphones you used to listen to the players?
post #3293 of 6177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

Can you tell us more about what music you listen to and what headphones you used to listen to the players?
The iem's used were SE846, K3003i and IE800. I also used my alpha dogs (and Hd800 for fun).
The music was varied from dave brubeck (lots of piano, sax), The Temptations, Hans Zimmer and then some Rush, Pink Floyd, Ozric Tentacles and all the way to infected mushroom and radiohead among other things. I tested mainly jazz/ acoustic/ soul and a few classic rock tracks; not much electronic and no metal besides Tool.
post #3294 of 6177

Could you explain in more details the sound difference between HM901 and ZX1? That would be useful to understand the sound signature.

post #3295 of 6177
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

I also used my alpha dogs

 

you now have my interest... anymore thoughts please.

post #3296 of 6177

deblanc343, do you have the iem card for the hm901 to compare to the ZX1?

post #3297 of 6177
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post


The iem's used were SE846, K3003i and IE800. 
 

 

Very interested in which of these you prefer with the ZX1 ?

post #3298 of 6177
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

I compared the ZX1 with the HM901 and the AK120 titan, and came away really unimpressed with the Astell and Kern. The AK unit is beautiful though and has a nice UI; if it weren't for that though, I would call their product a rip-off.

I agree with this assessment BASED ON MY TASTES. Well, for the 901, not a matter of taste, better than both, easily better than AK120. Between AK120 and ZX1, it depends what you like. The ZX1 has much larger soundstage and is airier. But the AK120 sounds a bit smoother (but sometimes congested to my ears).

post #3299 of 6177
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post


I also used my alpha dogs

 

Originally Posted by OK-Guy View Post
 

 

you now have my interest... anymore thoughts please.

 

Ditto. I find my ZX1 didn't have enough juice to drive my ADs nicely. I did note that you (@dleblanc343) mention "for fun". As such I was investigating the PHA-2 add-on but eventually felt using the ZX1 as my DAC & analog-LOD out to my TUR-06 for the AD's.

post #3300 of 6177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post
 

Where are you ordering from and is the manual available in English? 


I can confirm that the manual(s) included with the JDM NW-ZX1 package are only in Japanese. But besides the tech specs—which are available online—the manual should be identical or at least very close to the one that was included with the NW-F880 Walkmans.

 

Here are some links to the NW(Z)-F886 manuals from Sony UK:

 

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4472602111/EN/index.html
http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4472608111.PDF

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model