Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model - Page 214

post #3196 of 5950

Guys,

 

If I missed this somewhere, I apologize but has anyone posted a detailed comparison between ZX1 and AK120? I noticed several folks asking the same question so I know I am not the only one interested in this. I am about to take the plunge and get one or the other as my hi-rez collection is growing and I want to be able to listen to these recordings "on the go". Appreciate any and all impressions.

post #3197 of 5950

Also, what dac chip does the ZX1 employ? Anyone know?

post #3198 of 5950
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeteeyou View Post

May I ask a little favor for owners in Japan? I'd like to find out if WMC-NWH10 were able to read BOTH micro SD cards

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B007BGTMO6

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B004FG65H2

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B004FG65EA

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B006JKS9X0

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B005GY5I7A

One is from Elecom and another one from Sanka. It would be fantastic if we were able to test a pair of 64GB cards formatted as FAT32.

Thanks a lot and looking forward to your 128GB + 64GB + 64GB ZX1 soon.

 

By default, no but I'm tried rooting last night with no success. Will try again & if successful, will try to install StickMount.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriise View Post
 

Guys,

 

If I missed this somewhere, I apologize but has anyone posted a detailed comparison between ZX1 and AK120? I noticed several folks asking the same question so I know I am not the only one interested in this. I am about to take the plunge and get one or the other as my hi-rez collection is growing and I want to be able to listen to these recordings "on the go". Appreciate any and all impressions.

 

I did very early one when I picked up my AK120. My AK120 has been sold since :-

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680853/sony-nwz-zx1-35th-walkman-anniversary-model/1425#post_10046659

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriise View Post
 

Also, what dac chip does the ZX1 employ? Anyone know?

 

Sony doesn't disclose that info.

post #3199 of 5950
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

By default, no but I'm tried rooting last night with no success. Will try again & if successful, will try to install StickMount.

Terrific, many thanks again and that's gotta be super awesome if this particular 6,500 yen / 128GB cards were actually working with those dual-slot readers

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00HA2U6JQ

That particular listing used to be 1 to 2 months and right now it's only 2 to 5 weeks. Maybe that's gonna be the real deal.

256GB flash drives are still 30,000 yen a piece

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00A1Z35OM

Or roughly $250 / $500 / $1,000 for 256GB / 512GB / 1,024GB at the moment

http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Supersonic-Magnum-Series-PEF256GSMNUSB/dp/B00B964QFO

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Predator-DataTraveler-512GB-DTHXP30/dp/B00AV3XGPW

Technically speaking we do have the option to get a somewhat "less than convenient" DAP if we're willing to pay $800 + $500 for 640GB or $800 + $1,000 for 1,152GB.

OTOH, 384GB could be kept just under $1,000 if those dual-slot readers were OK with a pair of Microdia 128GB Class 6.



If ZX1 were rooted successfully, is it possible to mount network shares and allow stock player to stream lossless music files off wireless storage without real-time transcoding?

If so D-Link DIR-510L with 960GB SSD + USB enclosure could be really something

http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/connect/portable-routers/dir-510l-wi-fi-ac750-portable-router-and-charger

http://www.dlinkmea.com/site/index.php/site/productDetails/727
post #3200 of 5950
Quote:
Originally Posted by batteraziiz View Post
 

I'm quite interested as well, but price japan was a bust for me


"Release date; Dec 07, 2013.

 

Back-ordered.

Lead time from order/ payment till shipping ; 2-3 weeks

We are distributing NW-ZX1 on the rigid rule of ' first-come, first-served '  

No exception of that rule."

 

Does this mean that there is no stock at all in Japan at moment? 

 

I'm trying to wait for UK release only because I've had a couple of major problems with mail order electronic devices in recent years. But if it was 4 days at PJ (like a few weeks ago) I would have cracked yesterday, as impatience is getting the better of me.

post #3201 of 5950
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeteeyou View Post


Terrific, many thanks again and that's gotta be super awesome if this particular 6,500 yen / 128GB cards were actually working with those dual-slot readers

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00HA2U6JQ

That particular listing used to be 1 to 2 months and right now it's only 2 to 5 weeks. Maybe that's gonna be the real deal.

256GB flash drives are still 30,000 yen a piece

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00A1Z35OM

Or roughly $250 / $500 / $1,000 for 256GB / 512GB / 1,024GB at the moment

http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Supersonic-Magnum-Series-PEF256GSMNUSB/dp/B00B964QFO

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Predator-DataTraveler-512GB-DTHXP30/dp/B00AV3XGPW

Technically speaking we do have the option to get a somewhat "less than convenient" DAP if we're willing to pay $800 + $500 for 640GB or $800 + $1,000 for 1,152GB.

OTOH, 384GB could be kept just under $1,000 if those dual-slot readers were OK with a pair of Microdia 128GB Class 6.
 

If ZX1 were rooted successfully, is it possible to mount network shares and allow stock player to stream lossless music files off wireless storage without real-time transcoding?

If so D-Link DIR-510L with 960GB SSD + USB enclosure could be really something

http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/connect/portable-routers/dir-510l-wi-fi-ac750-portable-router-and-charger

http://www.dlinkmea.com/site/index.php/site/productDetails/727

 

I'll let you know if I get it rooted. Right now I'm terrible @ Windows and I need to install the Android SDK to get access to adb which is what the ZX1 root script needs on the PC side (I'm running everything under a Fusion in MacOSX :-().

 

NB: If you know anything about Android SDK, adb, & debugging why it doesn't "wait for my device" please feel free to PM me.

 

About the D-Link, I've not clicked on it. And funnily @ianmedium was just mentioning about the same thing, DLNA a few days back. Just before he was making that comment, I was researching Sony WG-C20 which will take in an (micro?)SDcard/MemoryStick and DLNA over to Xperia phones. I was asking the sales staff if it could be streamed to the ZX1 too. Apparently as long as I can download one of Sony's File Manager-type apps (can't remember the name) it should work. However I didn't bother investigating further.

post #3202 of 5950
It's already mid-January now so we'll have more choices soon. Presales here in Hong Kong already started and that's HK$5,680 / 733 bucks
Quote:
Estimated Delivery Date: 2014-02-20 - 2014-02-27 After 15:00
Estimated Self-collection Date: 2014-02-20 - 2014-02-27 After 15:00

http://www.sony.com.hk/products/apps/product/simplePage.do?modelCode=17826515&lang=en&cid=s_1401_SShighlight_f_nwz_zx1_presale

In other words, that's gonna be available in a month or so while other countries should have the same deal sooner or later.

If their features were not any different from the Japanese ones while the queue in Japan might be a bit too long, it might be worth importing from Hong Kong if EU volume cap were a concern IMHO.
post #3203 of 5950
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

About the D-Link, I've not clicked on it. And funnily @ianmedium
 was just mentioning about the same thing, DLNA a few days back. Just before he was making that comment, I was researching Sony WG-C20 which will take in an (micro?)SDcard/MemoryStick and DLNA over to Xperia phones. I was asking the sales staff if it could be streamed to the ZX1 too. Apparently as long as I can download one of Sony's File Manager-type apps (can't remember the name) it should work. However I didn't bother investigating further.

Cool, looks like we're all set here since both F886 and ZX1 are pretty much the same deal

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/mp3-players/1304284/sony-walkman-nwz-f886
Quote:
The NWZ-F886’s operating system is Android 4.1.1, and it has a range of Sony media apps pre-installed. The most notable is Sony’s Music Player app, which is more slickly designed than Google’s Music app or most third-party audio players for Android. The Music Player app is part of a suite of apps that share interface design elements, control gestures and icons. Also included are video and photo viewers. Conveniently, the NWZ-F886 has a DLNA browser that lets you stream music from UPnP shares on your local network.

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/8219301311612113021

http://www.dlink.com/-/media/Consumer_Products/DIR/DIR%20510L/Datasheet/DIR510LDatasheet_US.pdf
Quote:
Plug in a USB drive for easy file access
• Stream your files over the Internet to your mobile device with the mydlink SharePort™ app
• SharePort Mobile app for Windows® 8/RT devices
Stream media to UPnP/DLNA-capable devices

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/18032647917685275347

960GB SSDs for 500 bucks or less now.

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/16197385080874866494

1.5TB HDDs for 120 bucks or less.

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/18422866007105996048

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.patriot.gauntlet

Rather than buying D-Link DIR-510L plus an enclosure, simply grab that Gauntlet Node for 80 bucks or less and then install Patriot Connect afterwards.
post #3204 of 5950

So, there is a way to connect external storage to ZX1????? This can change a lot of things in my mind.

post #3205 of 5950
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 

So, there is a way to connect external storage to ZX1????? This can change a lot of things in my mind.

 

Physical or wireless? Standard or rooted?

post #3206 of 5950
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
 

 

Physical or wireless? Standard or rooted?


If possible standard, even though I am an Android user, I rather not to root my devices.

 

Physical is better choice for me (don't ask why) but if the wireless is only way, that I can accept too.

post #3207 of 5950
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 


If possible standard, even though I am an Android user, I rather not to root my devices.

 

Physical is better choice for me (don't ask why) but if the wireless is only way, that I can accept too.

 

If it's standard then the only way I can think of is the DLNA streaming from something like the Sony WG-C20 device I mentioned above. But that needs WiFi. I don't know setting up a tethered WiFi would work or not. This needs to be tested though. The lady the Sony store said it should work but never really tried it. We streamed only from the WG-C20 to the Xperia phone but if you have the File Manager app on the ZX1 it should (theoretically) be possible. I didn't wanna spend the $100 to test. If I had other uses for that device, then maybe.

post #3208 of 5950
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
 

 

If it's standard then the only way I can think of is the DLNA streaming from something like the Sony WG-C20 device I mentioned above. But that needs WiFi. I don't know setting up a tethered WiFi would work or not. This needs to be tested though. The lady the Sony store said it should work but never really tried it. We streamed only from the WG-C20 to the Xperia phone but if you have the File Manager app on the ZX1 it should (theoretically) be possible. I didn't wanna spend the $100 to test. If I had other uses for that device, then maybe.


That device, WG-C20, is it Japan only product or it can be purchased in Europe too? Honestly I never heard about it but I will search for it. Thank you very much for the input Anak, it looks interesting.

 

Edit: Sony UK has that device in their website: http://www.sony.co.uk/product/external-hard-drive/wg-c20


Edited by AmberOzL - 1/14/14 at 5:36am
post #3209 of 5950
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 


That device, WG-C20, is it Japan only product or it can be purchased in Europe too? Honestly I never heard about it but I will search for it. Thank you very much for the input Anak, it looks interesting.

 

No idea mate. Apologies. You'll need to search around the Sony Websites in EU or Google too may come up with something.

post #3210 of 5950
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
 

 

No idea mate. Apologies. You'll need to search around the Sony Websites in EU or Google too may come up with something.


Yup, done. It says it has USB hosting feature. If my English doesn't fail me, does that mean we can connect this device with cable to ZX1 or Xperia Phone to see the content in it? So it can work without turning on the wireless and good old physical cable connection?

 

USB hosting - – connect supported devices to the portable server through USB, then view and copy the contents on your smartphone, tablet or PC

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model