Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model - Page 72

post #1066 of 6283
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiwatecs View Post

This coming model has no FM radio, unfortunately.

thank god for that. such a nonsense feature.

Sent from my Nexus 4
post #1067 of 6283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

Guys let's be serious, of course there is no FM radio...this is a high end DAP, not a gadget from the 90s...why not ask for a barometer while you're at it.

I was actually after a tape measure, that's what I thought the bulge on the bottom was for.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goody View Post
 

Interesting !! somehow i am not surprised research and making as much money as possible go hand in hand 

Always been the way.  Very good sensible business ethics if your on the board of directors.  Not great if your a long life hobbyist who has to keep shelling out for the drip feed evolution of technological innovations. Yet we come back for more...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooMojo View Post
 

Wow...  what a great thread read this was.

 

Went from the woes of Digitalfreak's experiences with the DX-50 to the hints and tidbit demos of the ZX-1.  While I feel for Digitalfreak and the horrid UI experiences he was having, the ZX-1 news makes me optimistic for digital players and HD audio in general in the coming months.

 

Welcome back Sony... big time !

They have been AWOL for quite some time, but hopefully they turned the tide of having the wrong person at the helm for a few years on top of double dip recession.  If the Chinese could pick their game up on the ergonomics, software & battery stamina it may of been different a few months ago or if AK slashed the price of the 120 in two would be more like it, but I like to think it was a fate thing as hopefully patience has been a virtue with this overdue proper go at high end dap from Sony.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabetagaga View Post


thank god for that. such a nonsense feature.

Sent from my Nexus 4

How will I get Graham Norton on R2 on Saturday mornings then? 

(or my local pirate rave station??!)

post #1068 of 6283

I know it still may be a bit early but has anyone seen a photo of the official Sony case for the ZX1 or a third party attempt (apart from the very expensive one advertised on Sony Japan) mentioned by any company yet?  

 

I see that photo of the Sony design team had a slevee type slip case they was inserting the ZX1 into but am guessing for the price this may be a supplied case with the Walkman and there still be a separate leather normal flip over case sold on it's own.  

 

Also still eagerly awaiting announcement of a dedicated new charge/ sync cradle with a high quality finish to compliment the ZX1. 

post #1069 of 6283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

 

 

Nah, they will have accomplished 128gb on MicroSD in a Sandisk lab long ago. They just haven't released it to market yet.

 

The issue is not so much one of 'squeezing it on to a small card' - the etched silicon is already inherently small. It's more an issue of

 

1) achieving reliable yield during mass-manufacturing

 

2) market forces / profiteering. They want to squeeze as much profit as possible from each capacity size before they release the next one. It keeps the market price and demand artificially high.

 

 

In the memory and CPU industry, the labs always have the product completed substantially before it ever gets to market. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the labs are already working on squeezing a couple of terrabytes onto a MicroSD card.


If they would release these (128gb) cards now, the X5 would step up and crush the Sony ZX-1 for memory capacity.

post #1070 of 6283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecala View Post
 


If they would release these (128gb) cards now, the X5 would step up and crush the Sony ZX-1 for memory capacity.

Of course, many players will crush the Sony on the memory department.  However, none will equal the Sony ZX1 in term of the "over all package" as well as a bug-free UI.  128GB is very decent IMO.

post #1071 of 6283
I cannot stress enough how useful it is to have a large size internal storage capacity as compared to those external memory cards. While it is true that external memory card allows 'infinite' storage capacity through card swapping, one has to take into account the amount of time spent on card scanning each time you power it up.
post #1072 of 6283

Do you think Z1000 headphones / EX1000 IEMs are too old for these? I dont plan on upgrading any headphones for now.

post #1073 of 6283
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

Of course, many players will crush the Sony on the memory department.  However, none will equal the Sony ZX1 in term of the "over all package" as well as a bug-free UI.  128GB is very decent IMO.

 

I don't know, the money Sony is asking is very steep. The images I've seen, it looks like changing the battery is going to be very difficult unless you damage the unit. If this is true then I will get the X5 for sure. The UI will be quite good on the X5 I think, from what I've read fiio has put a great deal of effort here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post

I cannot stress enough how useful it is to have a large size internal storage capacity as compared to those external memory cards. While it is true that external memory card allows 'infinite' storage capacity through card swapping, one has to take into account the amount of time spent on card scanning each time you power it up.

So your saying that this scanning of internal memory is not required, please explain.

post #1074 of 6283
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOBREEDER View Post
 

Do you think Z1000 headphones / EX1000 IEMs are too old for these? I dont plan on upgrading any headphones for now.

Why old, if they sound good keep them.

post #1075 of 6283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecala View Post
 

Why old, if they sound good keep them.


You're right about that. I just thought maybe these were tuned along the XBA line (newer models)

post #1076 of 6283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecala View Post
 

 

I don't know, the money Sony is asking is very steep. The images I've seen, it looks like changing the battery is going to be very difficult unless you damage the unit. If this is true then I will get the X5 for sure. The UI will be quite good on the X5 I think, from what I've read fiio has put a great deal of effort here.

 

So your saying that this scanning of internal memory is not required, please explain.

 

You're not supposed to change the battery yourself in the ZX1, Or are you saying that the design of the ZX1 makes it difficult for the tech repair to replace the battery? By the way the X5 isn't out yet. Has anyone actually managed to play with one of these? Although the ZX1 isn't released, the demo has been out in the Sony showroom in Japan for about 6 weeks now and can somewhat be compared with current available DAPs. I've not heard about the demo-ing of the X5 therefore I'm personally not so quick to judge on its capability purely based on internet speculation.

 

About the scanning thing uelover mentioned, it's about scanning through all the playable tracks and building up an index that can be sorted via Album, Artists, Genre, etc. On some DAP implementations it's automatic-scanning whenever the operating system detects a change (boot/reboot, memory card mount, etc.). Something like the DX100 it's automatic-only whilst other DAPs like the iRiver AK-series it can be automatic or manual.

 

The one thing I may disagree with uelover though is that I think even internal memory requires scanning too upon boot-up; assuming the ZX1 behaves like the DX100 being Android & all.

post #1077 of 6283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecala View Post
 

 

I don't know, the money Sony is asking is very steep.

Intially they steep the price, but after some time they come down drastically. I still dont have any clue whether US will get any.

 

But considering this is their flagship maybe we wont see that happening.


Edited by AUDIOBREEDER - 11/17/13 at 5:27pm
post #1078 of 6283
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
 

 

You're not supposed to change the battery yourself in the ZX1, Or are you saying that the design of the ZX1 makes it difficult for the tech repair to replace the battery? By the way the X5 isn't out yet. Has anyone actually managed to play with one of these? Although the ZX1 isn't released, the demo has been out in the Sony showroom in Japan for about 6 weeks now and can somewhat be compared with current available DAPs. I've not heard about the demo-ing of the X5 therefore I'm personally not so quick to judge on its capability purely based on internet speculation.

 

About the scanning thing uelover mentioned, it's about scanning through all the playable tracks and building up an index that can be sorted via Album, Artists, Genre, etc. On some DAP implementations it's automatic-scanning whenever the operating system detects a change (boot/reboot, memory card mount, etc.). Something like the DX100 it's automatic-only whilst other DAPs like the iRiver AK-series it can be automatic or manual.

 

The one thing I may disagree with uelover though is that I think even internal memory requires scanning too upon boot-up; assuming the ZX1 behaves like the DX100 being Android & all.


Yes I'm saying changing the battery myself will be difficult, that is, you are forced to send it back to Sony. They will charge a fortune for this.

Regards the scanning I thought it made no difference if you had internal memory or not, scanning was required either way.


Edited by Cecala - 11/17/13 at 9:21pm
post #1079 of 6283
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

Of course, many players will crush the Sony on the memory department.  However, none will equal the Sony ZX1 in term of the "over all package" as well as a bug-free UI.  128GB is very decent IMO.

 

 

"over all package", indeed yes.

 

I have been so unsatisfied with what the Chinese are providing/offering in terms of Audiophile daps (SQ ok,others esp. UI fail miserably).

 

Yes I want good sound, but after using a dap with excellent SQ, and full of unnecessary bugs that should have been ironed from the beginning, all the love and enjoyment fades away.

 

​Sony Walkmans are by no means perfect, but they provide the best package as whole.

 

The ZX1 is what I have been emailing and sending letters to Sony to make (I even provided them with links to here and many other Forums), and I think their "Stubborn" mentality is easing a bit.


Edited by turokrocks - 11/17/13 at 10:31pm
post #1080 of 6283
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
 

 

You're not supposed to change the battery yourself in the ZX1, Or are you saying that the design of the ZX1 makes it difficult for the tech repair to replace the battery? By the way the X5 isn't out yet. Has anyone actually managed to play with one of these? Although the ZX1 isn't released, the demo has been out in the Sony showroom in Japan for about 6 weeks now and can somewhat be compared with current available DAPs. I've not heard about the demo-ing of the X5 therefore I'm personally not so quick to judge on its capability purely based on internet speculation.

 

About the scanning thing uelover mentioned, it's about scanning through all the playable tracks and building up an index that can be sorted via Album, Artists, Genre, etc. On some DAP implementations it's automatic-scanning whenever the operating system detects a change (boot/reboot, memory card mount, etc.). Something like the DX100 it's automatic-only whilst other DAPs like the iRiver AK-series it can be automatic or manual.

 

The one thing I may disagree with uelover though is that I think even internal memory requires scanning too upon boot-up; assuming the ZX1 behaves like the DX100 being Android & all.

Yes, you are right, it requires scanning, but even on my old slow Z-1070 it only takes about 15 seconds, max.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model