Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best over ear headphones in price range of $40-$100
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best over ear headphones in price range of $40-$100

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

I'm looking for a pair of over the ear headphones that have pretty good quality sound for my price range of $40-$100. I am getting these for a friend as a gift so them trying them on prior to purchase most likely would NOT happen. These headphones should be good to go by just plugging in an iPod or phone. My friend listens to typical girl music, top 100, rap, alt, she's not really big in dub or electric. If you guys could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Right now I am looking at several that are in the $100 range but would like some that are lower to so I have more options.

 

Here is what I'm currently looking at:

 

Creative Aurvana Live

Koss Pro DJ100

HD280 Pro

 

Thank you guys!

post #2 of 25

Does it matter if they're open or closed? If open is fine, I'd also add the AKG K240 Studio to your list. They are very comfortable, and are easily driven by a portable device. I like them for all kinds of music, to me they were very nice with everything. However, I liked them with the bits of music you listed as well.

 

Also, I'd throw in a suggestion for the Grado SR-60i. They are a bit less expensive then the K240, they're open, but they would be very nice for those genres you mentioned too. They are a bit less comfortable than the K240, but are just as easily driven (if not more so) from a portable device.

 

They're just a few more to add to your list. Personally, I'd pick K240, but that's just my preference. Since you said a prior audition most likely won't happen, I'd recommend reading up the particular models so you can be well informed as to how they will be before you get them. I think that it's best to listen first if possible, but if it isn't, then informing yourself as much as possible would be a good idea.

 

Also, a side note, but I would stay away from the HD280. Not that they are a bad headphone, they are not bad at all. But they have a tendency to be a bit uncomfortable, and their sound is unique. Again, I'm not saying bad, I'm just saying that if you seriously consider them, do a bit of reading to try and get familiar with their sound signature (as much as you can by reading anyway).

post #3 of 25

if I were you, I would get the sennheiser hd 439 or a pair of CAL!s

post #4 of 25

also the dj100's are very finicky when it comes to amping, and the hd 280's clamp like hell (making them not very comfy), have very little bass , which seems to be something that doesn't go well with edm or rap

post #5 of 25
Get the Philips Citiscape Uptown.
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by professor74 View Post

I'm looking for a pair of over the ear headphones that have pretty good quality sound for my price range of $40-$100. I am getting these for a friend as a gift so them trying them on prior to purchase most likely would NOT happen. These headphones should be good to go by just plugging in an iPod or phone. My friend listens to typical girl music, top 100, rap, alt, she's not really big in dub or electric. If you guys could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Right now I am looking at several that are in the $100 range but would like some that are lower to so I have more options.

Here is what I'm currently looking at:

Creative Aurvana Live
Koss Pro DJ100
HD280 Pro

Thank you guys!

The Koss are the best out of the lot BUT, BIG BUTT(And I can not lie:D ), they need to be amped proper. Hands down the Cal, they would be perfect for a girl on the go. Great audio, (Better then M50's sorry fanboys the truth hurts sometimes), Comfort level is tops. And works well with all types of music. If there was no Koss, the Cal is my Number 1 at this price range. Other cans in this range always miss something with the Cals you get the feeling everything is There!!
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReem View Post

While the M50 is overated, The CAL sound awful in comparison horrible metallic sound and muffled sounding. They have nice bass but they certainly show their price range when it comes to the other aspects IMO.
Maybe you got a bad set? Most other people would dis-agree
My Cals sound wonderful..The M50's are a congested mess..That's why I got rid of them. Maybe your source was a problem?, Got me?
Marantz CD5004>Matrix M-Stage w/LT1364>CAL=AWESOME

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate
post #8 of 25

Another vote for the CALs.

post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicman74 View Post


Maybe you got a bad set? Most other people would dis-agree
My Cals sound wonderful..The M50's are a congested mess..That's why I got rid of them. Maybe your source was a problem?, Got me?
Marantz CD5004>Matrix M-Stage w/LT1364>CAL=AWESOME

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

 

+1.  Love my CAL!s!

post #10 of 25

DJ100 needs to be powered properly. HD280, just no. 

post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReem View Post

Nope the set was fine, They just suck.
We'll there you have it folks TheReem say the suck, so don't listen to the 100's of people recommending these "THE MOST" in this price range. Don't listen to the 100's of positive reviews online, blogs you name it. Top industry guys always shoot out these at this price point. I think you're better off buying (Insert Phone), with 192mp3s and maybe Beats. Yeah that should work.
Hey OP, pick up some Beats Dude!!!
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicman74 View Post


We'll there you have it folks TheReem say the suck, so don't listen to the 100's of people recommending these "THE MOST" in this price range. Don't listen to the 100's of positive reviews online, blogs you name it. Top industry guys always shoot out these at this price point. I think you're better off buying (Insert Phone), with 192mp3s and maybe Beats. Yeah that should work.
Hey OP, pick up some Beats Dude!!!

 

:popcorn:

post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyProduce View Post

popcorn.gif

LOL, no TheReem say's everything sucks, and I mean everything. If you see his post you'll see what I mean. I lurk on here most of the day and he rarely has anything positive to say or really anything in a helpful manor. No popcorn, just his opinion, I'd take with a grain of salt. IMO!!!
post #14 of 25
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReem View Post

Name me more then 5 headphones I have said suck, Go on son i'll wait wink.gif

Edited by Magicman74 - 9/11/13 at 5:17am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best over ear headphones in price range of $40-$100