Thanks again for doing this MunkyNutz, really appreciated and as always quality work! Since you've found a source for taking care of the holes and notches, I'll go ahead and opt for that option too for uniformity - I'll should be able to take care of any staining/finishing myself. I'll await your PM
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HE-400 vs. HE-500 vs. HE-4 Comparison Last post on 12/2/13 at 11:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- For sale: HiFiMan HE-400 + premium wooden box + pleather/velour pads [PRICE DROP] Last post on 11/26/13 at 3:36pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- he400 trade for he4 or,he5le he500 plus cash Last post on 11/1/13 at 1:05pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Hifiman HE-400 vs HE-500 Last post on 12/2/12 at 9:17am in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Koss dj100 vs HD598 vs HD650 for Odac/O2 combo? Last post on 8/25/12 at 3:22am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: Today
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: Yesterday
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/28/12
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685339/new-akg-flagship-k812-first-impression/120#post_10026763 Now I correct the Google translate - I use http://www.dict.cc/ and my (small) knowledge of English I hope...
Sounds great with the modded AKG Q701. Nearly as good with that as my main amp that originally cost $350. Impressive! In fact, the Vali added nothing to the sound of the modded Q701, which is...
*I listened to the Westone 4Rs using iPhone 4S and the latest iPod Classic (6th Generation). The below sums up my listening experience from these sources only.* The Westone 4Rs fit my ears...
I have owned the ECP Audio L-2 for about 2 months now. I also own an Eddie Current Super 7 with NOS tubes, including Tung Sol BGRP driver tube. I have previously owned the Woo WA22, the Luxman...
I'm a noob to high quality audio equipment. I have been using V-Moda M-80's. I bought these because they were onsale for $272, and it would be stupid not to buy them at that price. I just opened...
For Sale: HifiMan Mango Tree Wood Cups. Fit HE-300 , HE-400 , HE-500 , HE-4, HE-6 and LE series - Page 2post #16 of 539/23/13 at 8:44am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 5310/2/13 at 10:48ampost #18 of 5310/2/13 at 1:01pmQuote:
I don't think there is a guide out there that I know of, but I could advise you if you want to send me a PMpost #19 of 5310/3/13 at 4:24amThread StarterQuote:
Thanks Modulor, and I'll include a tear-down/rebuild pdf with the cups as well.
Edited by MunkyNutz - 10/4/13 at 7:36ampost #20 of 5310/5/13 at 2:04ampost #21 of 5310/16/13 at 5:31amQuote:Originally Posted by MunkyNutz
I should have about 6 sets of exactly fitting lightweight wood cups for Hifiman series headphones.
UPDATE : Sept. 18.....
$85 just 2 cut and oven dried cups.
$115 2 + staining/sealing processes.
$135 2 + staining + drill holes/notches.
$150 2 + staining + drill holes/notches + EXTRA finished cup (3 total vs 2.) Good for resale or repair of headphones as you have an exactly matched cup for any repairs/resale in future.
All prices inc. global shipping.
5 ̶s̶e̶t̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶6 ̶s̶e̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶a̶i̶n̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶
4 ̶s̶e̶t̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶6 ̶s̶e̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶a̶i̶n̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶
3̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶6̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶a̶i̶n̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶
2̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶6̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶a̶i̶n̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶ ̶ ̶
1 set of 6 remain.............
*Update October 5th (another 6 sets have now been cut)
Woodie HFM's with mini-XLR terminations can be easily nearly double the retail price of the original cans...
Can also supply dis-assembly instructions.Not that difficult.
Eco wood Mango tree...stains up nicely.
You get 2 x cups and 2 x gimbal slider cups (last photo).
Staining really does transform them from the raw wood above.
Hardest part of HFM cups is getting the size right after drying them out or warping/splitting after they have dried out. A REAL PAIN.They are cut with a margin of shrinkage from the start and will be shipped at a stable dry size/condition and checked for fitting with the HifMan planar magnetic headphones prior to shipping.
Finishing details that you, or someone technically-minded you know have to do are below (if you go for the cheapest $85 option)
In each headphone cup.......
6 x screw holes inside cups for headphone internal attachment,
2 x screw holes on each side for gimbal/arms attachement ,
2 x notches on each headphone cup internally to let the silver cables disappear below the internal diameter hole
4 x notches if you want to re-insert the stock grills but look equally great "naked" = no grills.
Gimbal wood need notches to let the gimbal sliders move.... (see last photo)
If you buy them now figure on receiving them around late-October. Shipping is 10-14 days depending on locale (unless delayed by customs) and it has tracking, so it is fine for safe arrival.
Buyer pays paypal fees their side and international tracked shipping is included in the above price. If you live on a super remote island, let me know before buying to confirm shipping at the post office for any quirky locations....Antarctica etc.
Really nice work and fair prices. Well done!
Have you solved the "final sizing after drying" method for good fit and no cracking?
What is the last photo? The one with the deep wood cups?post #22 of 5310/16/13 at 7:21amQuote:
That is to replace the headband adjustment sliders cover, but it is un-notched in that picture compared to the stock cover next to it. I'm excited to get my hands on these for finishingpost #23 of 5310/16/13 at 9:33amQuote:
Of course. With no objects for relative perspective, all I saw were deep cups for the drivers! LOL I new that couldn't be 'right.'post #24 of 5310/16/13 at 7:29pmThread Starter
Yes ,they are gimbal sliders. I will be sending buyers photos of the multi-layer stained cups with a super smooth lacquer finish next couple of days.
Here is one with the grill inside that a member wanted to stain himself.
My own HFM 4x clips were filed off the ring so it can be tested for fitting after oven drying.It is flush in the horizontal perspective but raised in the photo as the clip notches were not inserted as it is just post-drying phase.
Edited by MunkyNutz - 10/16/13 at 7:56pmpost #25 of 5310/17/13 at 12:32ampost #26 of 5310/17/13 at 1:21amThread Starterpost #27 of 5310/17/13 at 5:08ampost #28 of 5310/17/13 at 9:16pmpost #29 of 5310/18/13 at 8:36amReturn HomeBack to Forum: Cables, Speakers, Tweaks, Accessories For Sale / Trade
- HifiMan Mango Tree Wood Cups. Fit HE-300 , HE-400 , HE-500 , HE-4, HE-6 and LE series
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread 13 seconds ago
- › DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions 18 seconds ago
- › Bargain Alert: 100 CD Classical live concerts set $55 shipped! 21 seconds ago
- › Speaker amps for headphones 26 seconds ago
- › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X... 40 seconds ago
- › Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent. 46 seconds ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 52 seconds ago
- › The Wire Headphone Amplifier 1 minute ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 1 minute ago
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › ecp audio L-2 Parafeed Headphone Amplifier by minimus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by DrumminD21311
- › FiiO RC-MH1 Headphone Upgrade Cable by SkyBleu
- › Sennheiser CX 175 by thesurvivor90
- › EarSonics SM2 v2 by Gilly87
- › Shure SE535-V Triple High-Definition MicroDriver Earphone with... by Wilderbeast
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Wireless... by joe