New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony MDR-1R series MK2

post #1 of 291
Thread Starter 

I think it is worth mentioning that besides the recently announced MDR-10R series, Sony also announced an improved version of their MDR-1R line of headphones, hence the MDR-1RMK2.  I don't know too much Japanese, but here is are some quick points on the MK2's improvements over the original:

 

  • Improved bass and sub-bass
  • earpads and sound leakage
  • independent rotational axis for the cups
  • play/pause for iPhone and Android
  • improved cable microphonics
  • SmartKey app for Android

 

And just like the original MDR-1R series, the MK2s will also features the BlueTooth variant (1RBTMK2), but no ANC version, for that you will have to get the new MDR-10RNC., and the ANC version (1RNCMK2). For more information, please refer to the original press release.

 

Thanks to Speakerphile for pointing out my mistake.


Edited by DrSheep - 9/6/13 at 10:19pm
post #2 of 291

Interesting.  I had heard that a follow-up for these wasn't going to surface until late summer 2014.  On a side note, that cable is not new to the MK2 version.  Also, there is now an NC version on that site that you linked.  I wonder if this isn't just the rolling change they made in the US coming to Japan.  

post #3 of 291
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post
 

Interesting.  I had heard that a follow-up for these wasn't going to surface until late summer 2014.  On a side note, that cable is not new to the MK2 version.  Also, there is now an NC version on that site that you linked.  I wonder if this isn't just the rolling change they made in the US coming to Japan.  

 

No idea, but what I don't get is why push out the MK2 at the same time when you just announced the 10R?  I for one will go for the 10R instead of the MK2 if I am looking for Sony headphones unless there is a huge price difference.  I guess we will just have to wait and see. 

post #4 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSheep View Post
 

 

No idea, but what I don't get is why push out the MK2 at the same time when you just announced the 10R?  I for one will go for the 10R instead of the MK2 if I am looking for Sony headphones unless there is a huge price difference.  I guess we will just have to wait and see. 

 

The 10R does not compare and is NOT intended to be a replacement for the 1R, despite it's confusing model number.  It is cheaper, $199 I believe.  I wasn't impressed by it.  I mean, it was alright, but definitely not an improvement to the 1R.


Edited by Speakerphile - 9/6/13 at 10:59pm
post #5 of 291
Thread Starter 
Can you share more details on how those two compare?
post #6 of 291
Interested in the 1Rmk2, I'm curious to see how different they are from the 1R.
post #7 of 291

Subb'd. I demoed the 1Rs at NY meet before. I liked what I heard, but was ambivalent to the pricepoint as I liked other things in that price bracket. If they improve on it for the same price then I'd be very interested.

post #8 of 291

the 1r-MK2 will include a 10ft. cable as well.

 

BTW, my MDR-10r in black is on a UPS truck to me.  Can't wait!  Stay tuned for unboxing/first look.

Reply
post #9 of 291
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post
 

the 1r-MK2 will include a 10ft. cable as well.

 

BTW, my MDR-10r in black is on a UPS truck to me.  Can't wait!  Stay tuned for unboxing/first look.

 

How on earth did you get one?

post #10 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSheep View Post
 

 

How on earth did you get one?

 

through very nice people. :)

Reply
post #11 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post
 

the 1r-MK2 will include a 10ft. cable as well.

 

BTW, my MDR-10r in black is on a UPS truck to me.  Can't wait!  Stay tuned for unboxing/first look.

 

You'll have to let us know what you think.  I'm not that impressed by the one I have, as compared to the 1R.  That said, it is only $199 MSRP.  At that price, I think it competes with its' peers reasonably well.  

post #12 of 291
Speakerphile why wait for someone else impressions? If you have a pair share your impressions now smily_headphones1.gif. Members like everyone's feedback...
post #13 of 291
post #14 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

Speakerphile why wait for someone else impressions? If you have a pair share your impressions now smily_headphones1.gif. Members like everyone's feedback...

 

 

So I took some time to compare the two last night with a decent source, as I hadn't done a direct comparison yet.  

 

The 10r is an alright headphone in its' price range, especially when you consider what it may actually sell for vs its' MSRP of $199.  I still don't think it compares to the 1r.  The 1 r has much deeper bass and is much more detailed in the mids and treble.  The bass on the 10r definitely rolled off a little quicker, and it sounded as though they may have tried to add a few DB to compensate as it felt a little bloated down low.  I also got that closed-in feeling compared to the 1r.  It sounded constricted from the upper midrange and higher.  I couldn't help but feel as though I was switching from tower's to bookshelf's every time I put the 10r back on.  Overall, the signature was not that dis-similar, the 10r just didn't have the legs to carry it.   

 

Build quality was pretty decent.  They felt solid, despite all the plastic, just like the 1R.  They do feel a hair cheaper though, as would be expected since they are.  Same cable with the ridges on it, just a little bit thinner on the 10r.  

 

Hope someone finds this useful.:)    

post #15 of 291
Awesome comparison, very good information and details. I was wondering about the 10R being better than the 1R. The pictures suggested a lower end model to me (fixed cables vs removable cables for starters). I wasn't thinking to buy the 10R and your observations just confirm my initial hunch.

For people who do not own the 1R and may not be able to afford it, do you think the 10R is similar enough to meet their desires?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: