Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony's DSD-capable PHA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony's DSD-capable PHA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC - Page 37

post #541 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior1975 View Post

Just a bit too much for me. How much better does it sound with the e12?


I don really know how to describe but what i can say is the sound sounds alot more powerful and punchier.

post #542 of 567

Hi Guys,

 

I recently bought PHA-2 and currently using it with XPERIA Z2 smartphone via micro USB connection. What is the recommended option for the gain selection (normal/high) if I am using Sony XBA-H3 headphones?

 

Here are the specs:

Frequency Response 3 Hz to 40 kHz
Impedance 40 Ω @ 1 kHz
Sensitivity 107 dB/mW
Power Handling 100 mW (IEC)

 

Thanks!

post #543 of 567

 

That's my combo on the sig, you can have the gain on normal.

post #544 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vect View Post




That's my combo on the sig, you can have the gain on normal.

Vect

Thanks! Do you hear some randomly popping sound while navigating the phone and the walkman app? That's without any music playback
Edited by Ermac84 - 7/15/14 at 10:36pm
post #545 of 567
Not at all, but that might be because I disabled the sounds while pressing buttons on the phone (the pha 2 likes to turn down itself if it doesn't receives audio continuosly), by the way, use power amp, far better than the walkman application and you can also use the equalizer that it is built in.
Edited by Vect - 7/16/14 at 3:07am
post #546 of 567

I have my ZX1 walkman hooked up to the PHA-2 via the supplied hi-res walkman cable, but it doesn't let me hear any adjustments made to the eq in the sound settings. Is this normal?

post #547 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerofnight View Post
 

I have my ZX1 walkman hooked up to the PHA-2 via the supplied hi-res walkman cable, but it doesn't let me hear any adjustments made to the eq in the sound settings. Is this normal?


At least in the Xperia Z2 it says that all android audio adjustments are disabled, but you can counter this using for example poweramp or any other player that has built in equalizer.

post #548 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vect View Post
 


At least in the Xperia Z2 it says that all android audio adjustments are disabled, but you can counter this using for example poweramp or any other player that has built in equalizer.

I kinda like it without any Equalizer adjustments, only the Walkman app has the volume fixed and equalizer setting disabled in the Z2 whether you play FLAC or mp3. I really like the latest Walkman App (8.4.A.1.4), will check out poweramp today!

post #549 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vect View Post

Not at all, but that might be because I disabled the sounds while pressing buttons on the phone (the pha 2 likes to turn down itself if it doesn't receives audio continuosly), by the way, use power amp, far better than the walkman application and you can also use the equalizer that it is built in.

Disabling the sound touch option did the trick! no more popping sound

post #550 of 567

Is the ZX1 passing through DSD to the PHA-2? Or does it convert it to PCM? Is there anyway to tell for certain?

post #551 of 567

the ZX1 converts to pcm first... the PHA-2 on its own does DSD native.

 

I've heard the ZX1 streams DSD native not sure how reliable this info was.

post #552 of 567

Hi Guys,

 

     Gotta love the install instructions for the USB 2 driver - Sony tells you not to connect the device prior to installation and the first thing the software looks for is a connected PHA-2 with the power on. The other gotcha is to ensure that your input selector is toggled all the way to the right to ensure that the PHA-2 knows its a USB DAC.  Always fun to find your way around a new toy, and it's certainly a good mate for the ZX1.

 

estreeter

post #553 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK-Guy View Post
 

the ZX1 converts to pcm first... the PHA-2 on its own does DSD native.

 

I've heard the ZX1 streams DSD native not sure how reliable this info was.

 

Currently using Sony's imaginatively titled 'Hi-Res Audio Player' application on my Win8.1 laptop and it gives me the choice between Native DSD and DoP but the latter seems to be greyed out - no desire to transfer the monster DSD files to the ZX1 though. My understanding is that the PHA-2 will handle DSD64 and DSD128 but to date I'm just not seeing album downloads of the latter from any of the artists I know and love. I have a couple of the DSD samples from 2L and it's great to be able to compare them with the 24/96 FLAC versions of the same tracks using Sony's player app and the PHA-2. They may have dropped the ball with the ZX1 if the SNR measurement is accurate but I think they've kicked a goal with the PHA-2, at least sonically. 

 

http://www.sony-asia.com/support/download/587225/product/pha-2

post #554 of 567

I had PHA-2 cannot figure out difference to HPP1 when connected to ipod classic.

So I sold it. I have heard zx1 did some tweaks with PHA-2 to produce better sound.

Now I need to find another PHA-2 to try difference when connected to zx1.

post #555 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycs8812 View Post
 

I had PHA-2 cannot figure out difference to HPP1 when connected to ipod classic.

So I sold it. I have heard zx1 did some tweaks with PHA-2 to produce better sound.

Now I need to find another PHA-2 to try difference when connected to zx1.

 

That strikes me as an expensive exercise but I look forward to your impressions. Personally, I have no problem with either of my 'bricks' - iPod Classic w/ADL X1 or ZX1/PHA-2 - but its Android on the Sony and the easy to use buttons on the side of the ZX1 that wins me over. Of all the headphone amps I've owned, the PHA-2 looks and feels like it means business and I'm very happy with the combination.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony's DSD-capable PHA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC