Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony's DSD-capable PHA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony's DSD-capable PHA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC - Page 19

post #271 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradius View Post

How was the audio quality?


Well, it is still on the way from Japan. I expect it to sound good. Also, I am very excited about it, since it is my first sony (source) device since minidisc.
post #272 of 562

okay.I do very much hope that this time L/R balance at low volumes and low Ω earphone/headphone performance is better. Battery life... I've never used an amp system as a DAC for more than 5 hours in a portable situation, so I'm not the best judge. 

3NnmYM

post #273 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
 

How was the audio quality?

 

excellent, according to my ears

post #274 of 562

How does it compare to NW-F887? Which one sounds better?

post #275 of 562
I am in japan this week and see that I can get the pha-2 for about ¥50,000 ($489 usd) if I show my passport and purchase duty free.

What I struggle with is if pairing this with an iPhone 4S and the onkyo app is worth it all. I would need the cck to a special cable to the Sony? Seems like a lot of hassle.

I get that this can pair with the zx-1/f88X series and it should sound great.. But at that point shouldn't the money be best spent on a zx-1 and calm it a day?

I have 64gb of storage on the iPhone 4S and would like to continue to use it after I get a new phone. Thus my original interest in looking into the pha-2.

There are so many products out there and on the horizon, etc. I have a bit of frozen buyer syndrome.
post #276 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkrieger View Post

I am in japan this week and see that I can get the pha-2 for about ¥50,000 ($489 usd) if I show my passport and purchase duty free.

What I struggle with is if pairing this with an iPhone 4S and the onkyo app is worth it all. I would need the cck to a special cable to the Sony? Seems like a lot of hassle.

I get that this can pair with the zx-1/f88X series and it should sound great.. But at that point shouldn't the money be best spent on a zx-1 and calm it a day?

I have 64gb of storage on the iPhone 4S and would like to continue to use it after I get a new phone. Thus my original interest in looking into the pha-2.

There are so many products out there and on the horizon, etc. I have a bit of frozen buyer syndrome.

No you do not need CCK to connect to the PHA-2!
post #277 of 562
Tried it out finally, paired nicely with the Tera Player and Tralucent 1+2 iem. Low noise floor,very clean, and the bass sounded full smily_headphones1.gif.


post #278 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post

No you do not need CCK to connect to the PHA-2!

Ok. I was under the impression that the 30 pin on the iphone limited the digital output to 24/96. The 3.5 mini limited it to 44 or 48(?)... And that the onkyo player can play dsd, 24/192, etc... But Dsd would be converted to PCM prior to leaving the iphone (possible battery drain) and the 192 would be limited to 96.

This is why I thought the cck was needed. To see if I could listen to higher res files natively.

Thanks for the input!
post #279 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkrieger View Post

Ok. I was under the impression that the 30 pin on the iphone limited the digital output to 24/96. The 3.5 mini limited it to 44 or 48(?)... And that the onkyo player can play dsd, 24/192, etc... But Dsd would be converted to PCM prior to leaving the iphone (possible battery drain) and the 192 would be limited to 96.

This is why I thought the cck was needed. To see if I could listen to higher res files natively.

Thanks for the input!

No problem !
post #280 of 562

Are you guys 100% sure that DSD-over-PCM of Onkyo HF Player could work just fine WITHOUT any CCK at all? If so, please kindly confirm and that's gonna be very interesting.

post #281 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeteeyou View Post

Are you guys 100% sure that DSD-over-PCM of Onkyo HF Player could work just fine WITHOUT any CCK at all? If so, please kindly confirm and that's gonna be very interesting.

I got complicated by it as well
post #282 of 562
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20131024_620776.html
Quote:
設定画面では最高192kHzまでのアップサンプリングのON/OFF設定のほか、DSDでデジタル出力する際の方式をPCM変換とDoP(DSD over PCM)から選択できる。なお、iPhoneなどからのデジタル出力には、アップルによるiOS用のアダプタ「Camera Connection Kit」などが別途必要。

http://japanese.engadget.com/2013/10/24/ios-onkyo-hf-player-dsd-flac/
Quote:
Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit などを使えば、96kHz または 192kHzの音楽ををデジタル出力したり、DSD ファイルの DoP 伝送が可能です。

I sent Onkyo USA an e-mail like a week or two ago while simply getting ignored or something. That's actually the e-mail address they posted on their official page when they recommended someone to get some technical questions answered. Maybe they just don't wanna spend too much time on support an app that costs merely 10 bucks?

And then it made perfect sense when I saw this:

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/applications/hf_player.html
Quote:
Although not officially supported, 96 kHz and 192 kHz PCM audio files can be output to a compatible digital audio processing device using a Camera Connection Kit for iPad.

It's too much work for any companies to provide support for 3rd party USB DAC/amp IMHO and we should be grateful for their effort to write the codes required for something like HERUS to work with iOS devices.

I wish that a similar app for Android could be purchased on Google Play because of the nice user interface. Short and sweet OTG cables with micro USB on one end, micro/mini/type "A" USB on another could be found easily.

So basically we've got fantastic software for iOS while cables are awesome for Android devices. Still not able to get the best of both worlds for now, LOL
post #283 of 562
Ok. So to be clear: in order to obtain DSD or 24/192 (just to be clear) out of the iphone:
1. Download the onkyo hf app ($10)
2. Buy the Apple Camera connection kit (CCK) $29
3. Get a USB to USB cable ($?)
4. Connect one end of the USB cable to the CCK and the other end to the Sony PHA-2
5. Sony PHA-2 ($600)
post #284 of 562
Picked up a pha-2 from e-earphones in Tokyo today. Really cool. I won't bother to submit a review because I'm somewhat new to this blog.
If you are looking for a good deal however, I got mine for 44900 yes (about $438). So good deal for a (perhaps?) slightly used amp.
post #285 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkrieger View Post

Picked up a pha-2 from e-earphones in Tokyo today. Really cool. I won't bother to submit a review because I'm somewhat new to this blog.
If you are looking for a good deal however, I got mine for 44900 yes (about $438). So good deal for a (perhaps?) slightly used amp.

 

so you got them in Japan not online?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony's DSD-capable PHA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC