Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Modi+Magni combo VS Audio-GD NFB-15.32 (please help)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Modi+Magni combo VS Audio-GD NFB-15.32 (please help) - Page 2

post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jTizMLG View Post
 

What I'm worried about most is people say that the magni/modi combo is very bright and i heard the HD600 is bright as well which makes me think that combining to do is going to be painful.

 

Different people have different ideas of what bright and dark is.  Here is what I think .....

 

DT880 is brighter than neutral - so is Q701/K701/K702 etc

Grados are bright

 

HD600 is not bright to me - I would say it is almost completely natural sounding.  If anything the highs are polite - rather than bright.

 

To me the HD650 are darker than neutral.  So is the Mad Dog V3.2.

 

I haven't heard the M&M - but a lot of people called the Arrow (portable) flat (neutral) to slightly bright.  I loved the Arrow with the HD600s.

 

With the HD600 - my Audio-gd NFB-12 is supposed to be a touch on the warmer side of neutral (I call it full bodied - go figure).  It's nice with the Senns.  A neutral amp like the Arrow is also great with the Senns.  I would say that the M&M - even if they are slightly brighter than neutral will still be good with the Senns.

 

I really can't see it being "painful" unless you are completely treble sensitive.  Anything you can give us as a reference to your sensitivity to high frequencies?

post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jTizMLG View Post
 

What I'm worried about most is people say that the magni/modi combo is very bright and i heard the HD600 is bright as well which makes me think that combining to do is going to be painful.

 

I think there are hundreds of cans brighter than the HD600 and I am not aware of many less bright (HD650 fits though).

In spite of that, you may find the combination bright for your tastes.

HD650 is very good and never bright.

post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
 

 

Different people have different ideas of what bright and dark is.  Here is what I think .....

 

DT880 is brighter than neutral - so is Q701/K701/K702 etc

Grados are bright

 

HD600 is not bright to me - I would say it is almost completely natural sounding.  If anything the highs are polite - rather than bright.

 

To me the HD650 are darker than neutral.  So is the Mad Dog V3.2.

 

I haven't heard the M&M - but a lot of people called the Arrow (portable) flat (neutral) to slightly bright.  I loved the Arrow with the HD600s.

 

With the HD600 - my Audio-gd NFB-12 is supposed to be a touch on the warmer side of neutral (I call it full bodied - go figure).  It's nice with the Senns.  A neutral amp like the Arrow is also great with the Senns.  I would say that the M&M - even if they are slightly brighter than neutral will still be good with the Senns.

 

I really can't see it being "painful" unless you are completely treble sensitive.  Anything you can give us as a reference to your sensitivity to high frequencies?

 

I would agree with you on the DT 880's and Grado's being bright.

 

I cannot speak for the HD600's or the HD 650's signature as I am yet to hear these, however I am forever tempted by HD650's in the trade section.

 

I have a pair of MadDogs that have just landed in Aus, so should have those in a couple of days and I will update.

 

I have used my AudioGD 15.32 with my Alessandro MS1's with wooden Cups and my LCD2's with Silver Dragon Cable.

 

I can safely say that the AudioGD amp/dac tames the highs somewhat.  In my opinion, perhaps a little too much on the darker LCD's, but on the Grado's I find it nice as you still get that punch through the mids and a musical sound minus the eye twitches and headaches.

 

With the LCD's I used a plugin for Foobar and added the slightest bit of trebble.  Everything else I found perfect.

 

In saying that, the AMP/DAC doesn't seem to lose detail as such and the treble is still there, it just takes the sharpness out of the Grado's which I like.

 

I find the amp to be on the warm side, so if the HD600's are neutral and you have an aversion to treble it could be a fantastic match for your tastes.

 

I really like the AudioGD amp/dac, it works very well for me as I like a darker more laid back sound, from what you have said I think it should work pretty well for you also.

post #19 of 22

Thinking of replacing my Essence STX with the Audio_GD 15.32, anyone here ever compared the two?

post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

Thinking of replacing my Essence STX with the Audio_GD 15.32, anyone here ever compared the two?

I had briefly compared the STX at a friend's PC with NFB-12 (NFB-15.32 predecessor). The NFB-12 appeared to me more powerful, somewhat warmer and a little more refined. But my thought at the time was that the two were not in a different class - I would probably be ok with the STX.

post #21 of 22
Never heard the stx. I did own the 15.32 however.
Quite a warm sounding unit with the Wolfson DAC. I liked it a lot.
Depending on the phones you are using it has stacks of power too.
post #22 of 22

Now I have to wait on the reviews on the new Schiit Vali to see if as good an amplifier as the 15.32's amp.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Modi+Magni combo VS Audio-GD NFB-15.32 (please help)