Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM - Page 143

post #2131 of 2578
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

The Rock jaw's will definitely be compared especially if I get the Kontrol model. I kinda am pulling for Rock jaw, I like their attitude and I always like small companies. But I will also be careful to balance their price to performance ratio as the Kontrol is cheaper in price. But I also am not sure what I will be reviewing so can not say for sure.

I am loving the big bass while not losing the mids and treble detail.

This is my third hangar style IEM from Sony and I have to say I quite like the design. They may look like frankenbolts but they sire don't feel like them! I think these are more like the 7550 than the EX1000 which is good as I found the longer nose of the EX1000 to long and coincidentally slightly less stable in ear.

One thing I have not been able to ascertain is whether they suffer the same wind noise issue, hopefully the BA construction helps reduce this issue. Overall though I am very impressed so far.
If you guys are talking about the i3d, it's getting horrible reviews online.
post #2132 of 2578
That was Rockjaw's original IEM, we are reviewing brand new IEM's and headphones, the top tier IEM is a dual BA/dynamic speaker model, plus they have a brand new woody with swappable filters, 2 single dynamic IEM's, and one 50mm full size over ear headphone as well as a couple more products still in the testing stage. If you check the thread here http://www.head-fi.org/t/716429/rock-jaw-testers/165#post_10629720 you will get a better picture of what is happening.
post #2133 of 2578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisoundfi View Post


If you guys are talking about the i3d, it's getting horrible reviews online.

I guess they have improved quite a lot then xD 

post #2134 of 2578
I posted the following comments in another thread then realized they should be here so am reposting them now.

Loving Patricia Barber and Diana Krill plus my Jazz Diva and Nat King Cole collections with the H3 alot. So the H3 does Jazz very well. It also seems to work well with Classical especially Cello's, acoustical music, Celtic tunes like Loreena McKennit, classic rock, as well psychedelic and hard rock.

I was trying to decide what the H3 reminded me of signature wise. From memory the H3 reminds me of the HD650 or the IE8 but with slightly more forward mids and brighter more articulate treble. Its on the dark/warm side but without sacrificing the upper mids and treble to do it.

Due to my use of brighter headphones I just adjusted the EQ on my LG G2 as follows, 31Hz 0, 125Hz -1, 250Hz -2, 500Hz 0, 2KHz +1, 6KHz +2, 16KHz +3. This tweak removes some of the darkness and makes the IEM sound more clear sounding.
Edited by dweaver - 6/14/14 at 10:25am
post #2135 of 2578
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post


Due to my use of brighter headphones I just adjusted the EQ on my LG G2 as follows, 31Hz 0, 125Hz -1, 250Hz -2, 500Hz 0, 2KHz +1, 6KHz +2, 16KHz +3. This tweak removes some of the darkness and makes the IEM sound more clear sounding.

Excellent impression dweaver. Your EQ settings confirms my findings and is almost exactly how I would set my eq for the h3.
post #2136 of 2578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post


I use a cheap Logitech UE900 replacement cable. You can buy one from their spare parts department.

I posted a picture a little while back with that cable. It should be one of the latest pictures in this thread.

Couple of questions re the UE cable - does it attach as securely as the Sony cable? Do you think the vi cable would work for use with an iphone? Can't see why not but wondering which cable to get. Thanks

post #2137 of 2578
As secure of an attachment as it gets. The UE mic cable should work, but I'm not too fond of its color when using with the H3.

UE's audio only cable is black, while the mic cable is blue.
post #2138 of 2578

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQstQST1GiM

 

Does anyone feel that a lot of "newer" music puts the voices at the top of your head, and gives the recording a more "3d" feel, while older recordings have the voices a little more "grounded"? That particular recording almost sounds like it's coming from speakers. 

post #2139 of 2578
I have been sitting doing an A/B comparison between the H3 and the Monster iSport Victory and have to say I am torn. The H3 has certain qualities I like but by and large I prefer the sound of the Victory more. The H3 puts me further back from the stage so to speak but not in a way that improves the sound stage, it just makes vocals sound distant. The Victory on the other hand brings me closer to the sound stage while still maintaining a wide open sound stage.

The H3 has more bass at times but not always in a way that makes it better. The Victory on the other hand has more bass slam without coming across as overbearing. The mids of the Victory sound less dark and more vibrant as well. The treble is similar between both IEM's with a slight nod going to the H3 for detail.

Comfort is close to a draw with the Victory winning for ergonomics and the H3 winning for the mic and for design due to it's replaceable cable system.

The difference is enough I may keep both but if I could only have one I would go Victory as I feel it is a better all round IEM plus is water proof for sports. I now have to weigh whether I want to keep the H3. I think I will take a couple of days to decide as I have time before they have to go back to the store.

I am surprised by this revelation as I really thought I was enjoying the H3 and still do like them but am surprised that a $170 single dynamic IEM is giving them such a strong run for their money.
post #2140 of 2578
Hmmm, it could also be differences in volume and efficiency, I just turned up the volume of the H3 trying to match the volume of the Victory focusing on vocals and the H3 started to come alive.

So I have a feeling the Victory may be a better low volume headphone while the H3 is better served at moderate to loud volumes. It also means the H3 will scale to amplification better as well.

I will continue to test and wait.
post #2141 of 2578
I don't know any single driver that comes close to matching the sound of the h3. I've never heard the monster iem you speak of, but I don't even know if it's possible for a single dynamic driver to have the separation and Soundstage that the hybrid h3 does.

Do you think the "further back" part you are referring to is a result of the separation being so good on the h3?
post #2142 of 2578
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

I have been sitting doing an A/B comparison between the H3 and the Monster iSport Victory and have to say I am torn. The H3 has certain qualities I like but by and large I prefer the sound of the Victory more. The H3 puts me further back from the stage so to speak but not in a way that improves the sound stage, it just makes vocals sound distant. The Victory on the other hand brings me closer to the sound stage while still maintaining a wide open sound stage.

The H3 has more bass at times but not always in a way that makes it better. The Victory on the other hand has more bass slam without coming across as overbearing. The mids of the Victory sound less dark and more vibrant as well. The treble is similar between both IEM's with a slight nod going to the H3 for detail.

Comfort is close to a draw with the Victory winning for ergonomics and the H3 winning for the mic and for design due to it's replaceable cable system.

The difference is enough I may keep both but if I could only have one I would go Victory as I feel it is a better all round IEM plus is water proof for sports. I now have to weigh whether I want to keep the H3. I think I will take a couple of days to decide as I have time before they have to go back to the store.

I am surprised by this revelation as I really thought I was enjoying the H3 and still do like them but am surprised that a $170 single dynamic IEM is giving them such a strong run for their money

 

pro coppers are very bad compared to even gr07 mk2,,,,even mh-1.

 

and pro coppers officially cost 2 times more than victory from the same company so i have reservations on u saying that they are better than or even equal to h3.

 

fair enough i haven't heard both but i really doubt monster can make a good earphone...................they just make bassy cans

post #2143 of 2578
The Victory is better than the Copper in my opinion. The Copper was to bassy for me and a bit to closed sounding compared to newer IEM's. The Victory is a different beast, it is more mid/treble centric but with still a strong bottom end. I believe I am enjoying the Victory more due to the difference in signature which is more like what I am used to listening to.

The H3 does have stronger contrasts than the Victory though and offers more black space. With this in mind I do think the H3 is a technically better IEM and certainly is more scalable than the Victory.
post #2144 of 2578

Is amazon special pricing for XBA H3 now over?

 

Right now there's only 3rd party sellers...

post #2145 of 2578
Listening to Basil Piledouris - Conan the Barbarian - Orphans of Doom / The Awakening and have to admit the H3 simply sounds amazing with a full orchestral tract like that. The ability to convey bass where needed plus have the ability to convey the midrange, treble, and have the instrument separation and clarity is very special and difficult for IEM's to usually convey.

Like I said above I will continue to test and wait as I do believe there will be equal parts brain burn in and IEM burning happening smily_headphones1.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM