Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM - Page 135

post #2011 of 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post

I've spent a little more time with H3 this afternoon mostly from Sony Walkman NWZ-F806. I think they're a fine sounding hybrid.


Maybe a little on the warm side for my preferences in overall tonality and there's a fraction too much mid-bass for purists however I find the staging, imaging and overall presentation really enjoyable, smooth, involving. They have the perfect amount of weight in the mids for vocals to sound rather creamy and detailed right through the lower-upper mid range, it's not the most natural timbre I've heard however between the house sound of F806 Walkman and H3 it's certainly unique timbre. I will try with a brighter source, I did for a brief moment with my Studio V unit and got much closer to a tonality I'd purchase however the hiss was too much. frown.gif


For my preference though who leans for upper mid-range emphasis (think like ER4S), I prefer a brighter upper-mids that can extract aggressive detail from recording  it's partly what gives me my music buzz. H3 would never be my preferred signature however pushing that aside they're a very pleasant IEM I could live with and I think Sony took the right road to please a majority of buyers. I personally won't be trying the tape mod, I don't find the bass overwhelming or annoying me to such extend.


Moving onto the fitting of these units I can understand Sony kept this approach for the angling of their dynamic driver though while they fit me with a little persuasion, they may not be user friendly to people with strange shaped ears, and because of this design wind noise is a concern also comfort is slightly decreased . They're just kind of fiddly to insert and seat properly, this takes up valuable seconds of your life before enjoying the music. 


Build is edging on the best I've ever seen - in real life you can stare at them in ore (for at least 45 seconds) thinking deeply "whoever put this together knew what the hell they were doing"


I  don't know if it's been mentioned but our tour pair has a loose connection on the left earpiece, it was like this when we sent it out, and I don't like this at all. I"m not sure how durable these Shure like connections Sony went for are. It's a downright annoyance especially when it cuts out mid-song. We do believe it may just be a cable issue and their owner awaits the return to confirm this. However, tut tut to Sony as this unit was almost brand new to my understanding, you don't need these kind of issues with such a wonderful looking expensive product.


It detracts from H3's beauty. 
=) good impressions H20 smily_headphones1.gif

>I  don't know if it's been mentioned but our tour pair has a loose connection on the left earpiece, it was like this when we sent it out, and I don't like this at all.

that's true. the other shure cable was working ok with it. The other cute thing is - Sony doesn't seem to sell spare cables (although this would maybe be a wty issue). I think the pair djvkool sent has the memory wire bit on the left ear bent too much and steeply.

wind noise is indeed fun as well because of the shape.

overall I still like them a lot since i like the house sony thicker mids sound, but I do think they sound a bit clearer with a bit less 150-300 or so (as i said maybe the 250-300 bit is placebo). Try eqing them on the clip :P . the bands are above.
post #2012 of 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by svyr View Post


=) good impressions H20 smily_headphones1.gif

>I  don't know if it's been mentioned but our tour pair has a loose connection on the left earpiece, it was like this when we sent it out, and I don't like this at all.

that's true. the other shure cable was working ok with it. The other cute thing is - Sony doesn't seem to sell spare cables (although this would maybe be a wty issue). I think the pair djvkool sent has the memory wire bit on the left ear bent too much and steeply.

wind noise is indeed fun as well because of the shape.

overall I still like them a lot since i like the house sony thicker mids sound, but I do think they sound a bit clearer with a bit less 150-300 or so (as i said maybe the 250-300 bit is placebo). Try eqing them on the clip :P . the bands are above.


EQ makes me feel guilty, Forgive me father for I have sinned. 

I have another Shure cable here from the Rhapsodio offering, I might change it over. 

Like you said: (and I mentioned in another thread) Sony's house sound is addictive, Its exactly what kept me listening to EX1000 and purchasing EX600 on two separate occasions, though I've heard IEM's now with more detail extraction and won't settle for less, I think you'll only find that kind of performance in niche companies (like Tralucent) who excel their IEM's past safety levels lifting any veil there to prevent early fatigue, purely focusing with audiophiles in mind rather than mainstream consumers. From a visual perspective paired up with my F806 Walman they're eye catching contentment sitting on my desk beside me, I can only imagine from Sony's new Walkman.

H3 almost look futuristic in person, if only I could put any sound signature I wanted inside them, they're a real head turner. 


Edited by H20Fidelity - 5/14/14 at 4:57am
post #2013 of 2543
Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. .....
post #2014 of 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post

Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. .....


And while I behold them beautiful they will be. 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #2015 of 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by svyr View Post

=) good impressions H20 smily_headphones1.gif
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


And while I behold them beautiful they will be. 


  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Winning!

I actually like the mid-bass quantity, it's the quality I think needs work. But if I'm paying what these cost, I don't want to patch them by using tape.

Can you compare vocals to the EX1000 with your more trained ear mate? Pls. Love you long time yeah biggrin.gif
post #2016 of 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnityIsPower View Post


+1
Winning!

I actually like the mid-bass quantity, it's the quality I think needs work. But if I'm paying what these cost, I don't want to patch them by using tape.

Can you compare vocals to the EX1000 with your more trained ear mate? Pls. Love you long time yeah biggrin.gif


 Been too long since I heard EX1000, though from memory H3 sounds a touch more coloured in the mid range, just fractionally.

I believe EX1000 sounded more organic and a touch drier than H3 overall, not quite as smooth. I think I would take H3 personally.


I believe James owns/owned both? He would be better to ask than myself.  
 

post #2017 of 2543
I own both EX1000 and H3. To sum it up, I prefer H3 for daily commutting simply because it provides more isolation (though still less than Shure or Westone kind of seal) and better suited for contemporary music. Though I enjoy my quiet time at home more with EX1000 listening to classics, jazz and vocal-centric pieces.

Happy TGIF listening! wink.gif

post #2018 of 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by svyr View Post


hmmm actually you are right - thank you for pointing it out

the reference I usually use is this one
good point, 400 is definitely lower mids. (250+hz is from there )

I did get a bit caught up eqing an IEM with a 400-600hz problem, that sony doesn't have and 'went extra safe' trying to compensate for the previous experience biggrin.gif
so from the original eq suggestion

I think the -1.5@500q=0.7 is unnecessarily. (especially given it goes both ways around 500hz)


what are your thoughts on leaving these from the above?

1|+1.5-2.0,40hz,2.0 <-- not really sure if it needs any more there. (3.0 is definitely too much )
2|-2.5,180hz,2.0 - definitely needed
3|-2.0,280hz,0.8 - not sure

^for (3) despite it being quite wide. (I still think leaning that out makes it sound clearer,
but maybe it just leans out a bit more towards 150hz)
pretty sure Cowon BBE+ purposely dip it a bit there as well.)
that said - maybe placebo.

I'm still not sure if that's too much and would prefer to get a proper parametric eq graph app to see the total cumulative effect. (vs playing with numbers in clip+ menu)
Would you be able to suggest a test track where it's possible to track eqing 80-500hz easily (in one track)?
(40-180 is usually easier, but 250-350 is either masked out by the 40-200 or I just don't know what to listen for, well, for 2 2dB anyway) (at least in some metal or dnb)

 

I just have it around -3 dB at 120 - 130 hz with quite a broad bandwidth of around 1.5 octaves. I also pull down the treble at around 6 Khz, but as you can see on this thread, some people say it is too sparkly, not sparkly enough, whatever (it may just be the amp/dac I'm using).

post #2019 of 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by nudd View Post
 

I just have it around -3 dB at 120 - 130 hz with quite a broad bandwidth of around 1.5 octaves. I also pull down the treble at around 6 Khz, but as you can see on this thread, some people say it is too sparkly, not sparkly enough, whatever (it may just be the amp/dac I'm using).

What amp/dac are you using? I found that amps with exceptionally high output impedance cause my H3s to sound a bit harsh in the treble, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the 6k area.

post #2020 of 2543

I just got my pair of XBA-H3's!

 

I can tell I immediately like this earphone. I've spoken many times of thinking of hybrid earphones as over engineered, but I can see their appeal in the H3. A warm sound with a crunchy, crispy textured lower treble (just on the edge of what I would consider a danger zone for me) with a lovely sense of extension and space. It has that glossy presentation the H1 has without gumming up the treble (you wily super tweeter you). An overall mid band emphasis, but the bass is confusing me a little. At times it seems restrained, at times it seems quote pronounced. It sounds tight but a bit blunt to me, but since I like bass I can't complain. I may try the tape mod but there is nothing immediately making me want to do that.

 

The fit seems to be the biggest bugbear. They are light but huge and I found a little tricky to find a seal. I'm also finding that they are causing a bit of pain in my left ear. Isolation is average as well.

 

When I gather my thoughts I'm going to try and do a bit of a pictoral review / history of the whole EX1000 / 7550 / XBA-1 / XBA-40 / /H1 / H3 series...

post #2021 of 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post
 

I just got my pair of XBA-H3's!

 

I can tell I immediately like this earphone. I've spoken many times of thinking of hybrid earphones as over engineered, but I can see their appeal in the H3. A warm sound with a crunchy, crispy textured lower treble (just on the edge of what I would consider a danger zone for me) with a lovely sense of extension and space. It has that glossy presentation the H1 has without gumming up the treble (you wily super tweeter you). An overall mid band emphasis, but the bass is confusing me a little. At times it seems restrained, at times it seems quote pronounced. It sounds tight but a bit blunt to me, but since I like bass I can't complain. I may try the tape mod but there is nothing immediately making me want to do that.

 

The fit seems to be the biggest bugbear. They are light but huge and I found a little tricky to find a seal. I'm also finding that they are causing a bit of pain in my left ear. Isolation is average as well.

 

When I gather my thoughts I'm going to try and do a bit of a pictoral review / history of the whole EX1000 / 7550 / XBA-1 / XBA-40 / /H1 / H3 series...

:beerchug:

post #2022 of 2543

So, are the XBA-H3s an upgrade or sidegrade to XBA-4/40?

post #2023 of 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post
 

I just got my pair of XBA-H3's!

 

I can tell I immediately like this earphone. I've spoken many times of thinking of hybrid earphones as over engineered, but I can see their appeal in the H3. A warm sound with a crunchy, crispy textured lower treble (just on the edge of what I would consider a danger zone for me) with a lovely sense of extension and space. It has that glossy presentation the H1 has without gumming up the treble (you wily super tweeter you). An overall mid band emphasis, but the bass is confusing me a little. At times it seems restrained, at times it seems quote pronounced. It sounds tight but a bit blunt to me, but since I like bass I can't complain. I may try the tape mod but there is nothing immediately making me want to do that.

 

The fit seems to be the biggest bugbear. They are light but huge and I found a little tricky to find a seal. I'm also finding that they are causing a bit of pain in my left ear. Isolation is average as well.

 

When I gather my thoughts I'm going to try and do a bit of a pictoral review / history of the whole EX1000 / 7550 / XBA-1 / XBA-40 / /H1 / H3 series...

youtube video review please.. im a big fan btw :D  love your video review. 

post #2024 of 2543

I say! A touch of the LLAT!. Vindication thy touch is sweet.

post #2025 of 2543

i have the ex600, the h3 seems not to be an upgrade (please help me into that), cause i like the bass extencion, their neutrality, and i would like more crispines on the treble (like the one given by armatures)

and it seems the h3 have less extencion, more mid-bass (which i dislike) and the benefits of a armature tweeter

anybody who could make me wrong?

 

maybe the ex1000 is the one for me this days

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM