or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM - Page 85

post #1261 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by getclikinagas View Post
 

How do they sound out of a better, more powerful source? 

 

Better, and more powerful. :p 

post #1262 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post
 

 

Better, and more powerful. :p 

YES! More! :basshead:

 

:P

post #1263 of 3252
Thanks Eric, glad you're getting a better fit this time. Just for comparison's sake, since we both have the Fiio X3, which drives the H3 very well imo: I'm using the H3 with tape mod to tame their bass, and on top of that bass setting -2 on the X3's hardware EQ. That much for our different preferences, lol. wink.gif  
[/quote]

Wow james444, and I thought we appreciated the same levels of bass....lol. Guess I was wrong. Ironically, I can also get into an earphone that is neutral with very little bass such as the RE-400.
post #1264 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post
 

So I received my H3 today. Here are my initial impressions:

 

I still need to wrap my head around the XBA-H3 some more, but I was expecting quite worse than what I'm hearing. I can't say this is the heaviest earphone I've heard note-wise (it's definitely is 3-Dish and has weight in the sound, but I've heard other earphones with weightier notes in the 3-D realm), but the combination of weight and wide soundstage I will have to think hard about what I've heard to match it. Also, to be such a bassy earphone, this is one of the most detailed universals I have heard in vocals. And I do mean DETAILED vocals!! Sounds great to me, although some may think it's too much. The bass sounds a touch muddy to me (I went straight to the new Sony foam/silicon hybrids), but I do expect that to clear up with burn-in. The bass is enough to satisfy a basshead, but it's not in the far reaches of of being a basshead earphone. This is another full sounding earphone - like the ATH-IM70 - that is super rich and refined. Yes, much more refined than the IM70 (and I still love it's sound), and richly detailed. I can say right now this is what I dreamed for the EX1000 and EX600 to sound like in some sort of weird combination. The highs extend beautifully with none of that stabbing my eardrums with daggers sound. Lots of space around the instruments. Look this earphone, I think, will have too much bass for audiophiles, but will be perfect for audiophiles (like me) who love bass (if that makes sense). I'm using the X3 DAP, and I can say even right now this is the best Sony earphone I've ever heard! I still own the Sony XBA-4 (paid quite a bit more for it than I paid for the XBA-H3). The XBA-H3 absolutely destroys the XBA-4 to my  ears. Well done Sony! More solid impressions to come later, of course. Before you ask me what is the sound signature comparable too, I don't know. It sounds like a mixture of top tiers I've heard. Then it sounds uniquely like itself to me. I need to sort this signature out, but I like it. I initially was going to say the mids are recessed, but they aren't. There's just so much space between instruments. In case you're wondering, I'm digging this earphone already ... big time. 

Oh, as for fit. I had major problems with the fit of the EX-1000, EX-600, and 7550. All three felt heavy in my ears and tended to sag and feel like they wanted to pop out. The body of the H3  - I believe -  is bigger than the EX-1000, but somehow feel more comfortable and stable. I'm thinking this is because it's made with a light material (not the metals that made up the EX-600 and EX-1000) and a bit difference in the shape of it. Also, the new hybrid foam tips are holding it in place inside of my ears, so far so good. 


I already have H1 so I was thinking maybe I don't need H3, esp because the price is almost triple, but man, now you made me wanna buy it! The only thing I was afraid of is sharp highs and more-than-I-need treble, but from what you say, they're not like that.

My current financial situation doesn't allow it, but I'll definitely hunt them in the future.

post #1265 of 3252
Hello!
This is my first post, so please be gentle as english is not my first language, i try to keep it short.
I received my H3 4 days ago, bought it on amazon as they (accidentaly or not) lowered them from 336 euro to 185 euro for one day).

My gear: Rwak100, EQ off, boost on.
My other IEMs: Westone 4R ans Sennheiser IE8
My "test" tracks (all lossless):
Moby:Hymn (instrumental)
Florence and the Machine:Breaking down unplugged (vocals)
Gigi:Lamour tojours (Bass)
M83:Outro (Soundstage, Seperation, Orchester, Imaging)

Burn in Time: about 50h now.

As some of you already mentioned, they are hungry, means they need power, as i listen to my other IEMs with volume around 35 they need 50
Another thing already read somewhere: its all about isolation.

So i put them on and my first impression was: they are ugly, so ugly that my girlfriend started laughing about me.
So i started listening that i cant hear her and i was overwhelmed, exactly what i was searching for:
Big soundstage, perfect 3D presentation and there is nothing missing along the whole sound spectrum.
To make it even shorter, they are like a perfect mixture of my W4R and my IE8, maybe without the highest highs of the W4R and the lowest Sub-bass of the IE8.
For me the H3s are like a hybrid is supposed to be, and they are really comfortable to wear, allthough you look like wearing small houses in your ears.

So there is only one thing which makes me looking for other hybrids in the future (like the new released Unique Melody 3X for example) because for the time i am not strong enough to ignore everyone looking at me in the public, so for home and for work they are great, but i will not wear them outside :-)

best regards
Dave
post #1266 of 3252
......small houses in the ear.... lol, that is so true. .....
post #1267 of 3252

So far I'm liking the responses for the H3, I personally can't wait to get them.

 

I currently have the Digizoid Z02, would you say its decent enough to go along with the H3 ?

post #1268 of 3252
Me want now 😲
post #1269 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochill View Post

Me want now 😲

Tell me about it lol, its currently £177 on Amazon.

post #1270 of 3252
And I paid 300 €!!!
post #1271 of 3252

So here are my initial brief thoughts on how the H3, AS-2, and Cardas Ear Mirror compare. I first need to state that all three are very capable IEMs. Although i haven't listed it in my signature yet, the H3 is up there with the AS-2 and Cardas. There is no doubt about this to my ears. It will really depend on the sound signature preferences of each of you in deciding with one is best for you. I will choose one signature I like the best at the end of this, but I hold all three equally in high regard. Why is that? Well, it's simply because each bring a little something different that I enjoy listening to in an earphone. There is not one in the three that possesses a sound signature so great that I feel like I can do without the other two. I couldn't do a "if you could only keep one" question. I will do, however, a "if you could only keep two" question and answer at the end of this. Okay, so here we go:

 

XBA-H3

 

- The H3 clearly has the wider soundstage of the three. It feel more like sitting in a medium concert hall and maybe no more than 10 rows back. (By the way, all three have very similar full 3-D sound, so I won't nitpick there)

- This is the clear winner when it comes to clarity and details in vocals. That super tweeter BA is something marvelous inside of the H3. Vocals are sweet and refined.

- This is more airier of the three earphones with great space between instruments. Also the most refined (not that the other two aren't refined). A complaint, however, could be that some of the sound might be almost too smooth for some ears.

- Sub-bass seems to be more prominent and separated from the mid-bass in the H3 than in the other two phones, but sometimes the bass overall can sound a bit too smooth for me. The bass is like a fine cognac when sometimes you need a bit of strong whiskey in the bass instead of that smoothness. Again, this is a personal preference. The bass is a very good but I would prefer not so refined and smooth sometimes. Same with the drums, but it sounds very good.

- The smoothness in sound, however, make the piano sublime to my ears! I love it  Guitars (electric and acoustic) sound wonderful but are lacking a little bit of edge - again - because of the smoothness of sound.

- The highs are the clear winner here. I've never heard such extended highs that didn't hurt my ears. Sony learned after those dagger like highs in the EX-1000 and EX-600. I'm not really a highs type of guy, but these highs are superb and quite extended to my ears. That super tweeter helps give the H3 the most clarity, transparency and details of the three. 

- I've never heard horns sound so beautiful and full and detailed as hear in the H3. This is truly a great earphone for jazz.

 

AS-2

 

- The AS-2 wins with a natural sound in the drums. I think this is mainly because its signature is not as smooth as the H3. Drums and bass are my favorite two instruments. the AS-2 has the edge in reproducing natural sounding acoustic bass, drums and percussion.

- Here is where I have to remind people that the AS-2 is a stage monitor and the H3 isn't. The functions of the two earphones are different, although many of us head-fiers use both for our music listening enjoyment. With that stated, the AS-2 doesn't have wide soundstage as the H3. Instruments sound much closer together on the soundstage. There is, however, good spacing between instruments, but closeness in soundstage is prominent. So listening to the AS-2 is like being in a much smaller venue (like a small jazz) club and closer to the musicians. You're not onstage with them as it was with the Earsonics SM3, but you are close to the music.

- Md-bass and sub-bass mix together more in the AS-2 than  H3. This is not a bad thing to me. Again, it more about preference. Piano and other mid instruments (keyboards, etc.) do not have that same clarity as in the H3, but it is clear. Piano can sound a bit harsh sometimes in the AS-2.

- Electric and acoustic guitars, however, have more bite to my ears when listening through the AS-2. AS-2 says rock & roll to my ears more than the H3 (more suited to jazz for my ears but sounds good with everything). You want that slam in the guitar and drum, the AS-2 will command your attention. Yet, it's not as airy as the H3.

 

EM5813

 

- The Cardas is somewhere in between the AS-2 and H3 in soundstage (but leaning more toward the AS-2). 

- Vocal clarity is great but not quite up to the standard set by the H3, but it's there

- Highs are the most recessed here when comparing it to the other two earphones, but highs are there with nice extension. The more burn-in the more the highs come out, and I like the highs just fine. For highs lovers, however, there may not be enough for you in the EM5813.

-  Guitars are solid but are little behind in the AS-2 in edge. Acoustic guitar, however, resonates better to my ear than it does out of the AS-2 or H3.

-  Space between instruments is better here than in the AS-2, but not better than the H3

- I like the piano better here than in the AS-2, but again, not better than the H3.

 

So that is about it. I used the DX50 and the Fiio E10 as my sound sources (Fiio connected to my desktop Mac of course). Daft Punk's Lose Yourself To Dance, Freddie Hubbard's Little SunFlower, Hall & Oates' I Can't Go For That, and Kem's Share My World were the test tracks used. 

 

I really hesitated in including the Cardas in this comparison because it changes quite a bit with the more burn-in I put on it, and it's still not done. But since so many requested it I decided to throw it in. Without a doubt, these three are the best sound earphones I own right now (I have to throw in the 1964 EARS V6). I didn't say best sounding universals since the AS-2 is a custom, but I'm sure I would include the ASG-2 as one of my best sounding universals with the other two if I still had it. Okay, so if I could only keep two which two would it be? It would be the H3 and AS-2. Please don't take that to mean I'm falling out of love with the Cardas. I am not. The H3 is the biggest surprise to me in sound (and the fact that I can wear it comfortably). I prefer the large and wide UE900 silicon tips, however, to make the H3 sound its best to my ears. And yes, overall, I like the H3's signature the best, but that could change depending on my listening needs. That's it for now. Happy listening.


Edited by ericp10 - 12/22/13 at 12:53pm
post #1272 of 3252

In ref to your earlier post/review on the H3, I'm glad to say I told you so! Just heard the Basie/Ellington cd, and though I'm no fan of big band, it was highly pleasing.

post #1273 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson 6 View Post
 

In ref to your earlier post/review on the H3, I'm glad to say I told you so! Just heard the Basie/Ellington cd, and though I'm no fan of big band, it was highly pleasing.

 

:beerchug:

post #1274 of 3252

Hi guys, went down to an iem store to audition both sennheiser ie 80 and xba h3. Both sounded equally good, great soundstage and balanced sound. (IE 80 = more bass, H3 = more mids and high clarity). Can't decide on which to purchase so would like to ask for some opinions regarding this 2 iems and which is of better sound quality.

All I'm aware of is that the H3 has a higher 43 ohm. Will it be compatible with my Xperia Z1? It'll really seem bulky if i have to carry an amp outdoor just to power the h3 to it's full potential, not to mention it's bulky as it is already. 

post #1275 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post
 

So here are my initial brief thoughts on how the H3, AS-2, and Cardas Ear Mirror compare. I first need to state that all three are very capable IEMs. Although i haven't listed it in my signature yet, the H3 is up there with the AS-2 and Cardas. There is no doubt about this to my ears. It will really depend on the sound signature preferences of each of you in deciding with one is best for you. I will choose one signature I like the best at the end of this, but I hold all three equally in high regard. Why is that? Well, it's simply because each bring a little something different that I enjoy listening to in an earphone. There is not one in the three that possesses a sound signature so great that I feel like I can do without the other two. I couldn't do a "if you could only keep one" question. I will do, however, a "if you could only keep two" question and answer at the end of this. Okay, so here we go:

 

XBA-H3

 

- The H3 clearly has the wider soundstage of the three. It feel more like sitting in a medium concert hall and maybe no more than 10 rows back. (By the way, all three have very similar full 3-D sound, so I won't nitpick there)

- This is the clear winner when it comes to clarity and details in vocals. That super tweeter BA is something marvelous inside of the H3. Vocals are sweet and refined.

- This is more airier of the three earphones with great space between instruments. Also the most refined (not that the other two aren't refined). A complaint, however, could be that some of the sound might be almost too smooth for some ears.

- Sub-bass seems to be more prominent and separated from the mid-bass in the H3 than in the other two phones, but sometimes the bass overall can sound a bit too smooth for me. The bass is like a fine cognac when sometimes you need a bit of strong whiskey in the bass instead of that smoothness. Again, this is a personal preference. The bass is a very good but I would prefer not so refined and smooth sometimes. Same with the drums, but it sounds very good.

- The smoothness in sound, however, make the piano sublime to my ears! I love it  Guitars (electric and acoustic) sound wonderful but are lacking a little bit of edge - again - because of the smoothness of sound.

- The highs are the clear winner here. I've never heard such extended highs that didn't hurt my ears. Sony learned after those dagger like highs in the EX-1000 and EX-600. I'm not really a highs type of guy, but these highs are superb and quite extended to my ears. That super tweeter helps give the H3 the most clarity, transparency and details of the three. 

- I've never heard horns sound so beautiful and full and detailed as hear in the H3. This is truly a great earphone for jazz.

 

AS-2

 

- The AS-2 wins with a natural sound in the drums. I think this is mainly because its signature is not as smooth as the H3. Drums and bass are my favorite two instruments. the AS-2 has the edge in reproducing natural sounding acoustic bass, drums and percussion.

- Here is where I have to remind people that the AS-2 is a stage monitor and the H3 isn't. The functions of the two earphones are different, although many of us head-fiers use both for our music listening enjoyment. With that stated, the AS-2 doesn't have wide soundstage as the H3. Instruments sound much closer together on the soundstage. There is, however, good spacing between instruments, but closeness in soundstage is prominent. So listening to the AS-2 is like being in a much smaller venue (like a small jazz) club and closer to the musicians. You're not onstage with them as it was with the Earsonics SM3, but you are close to the music.

- Md-bass and sub-bass mix together more in the AS-2 than  H3. This is not a bad thing to me. Again, it more about preference. Piano and other mid instruments (keyboards, etc.) do not have that same clarity as in the H3, but it is clear. Piano can sound a bit harsh sometimes in the AS-2.

- Electric and acoustic guitars, however, have more bite to my ears when listening through the AS-2. AS-2 says rock & roll to my ears more than the H3 (more suited to jazz for my ears but sounds good with everything). You want that slam in the guitar and drum, the AS-2 will command your attention. Yet, it's not as airy as the H3.

 

EM5813

 

- The Cardas is somewhere in between the AS-2 and H3 in soundstage (but leaning more toward the AS-2). 

- Vocal clarity is great but not quite up to the standard set by the H3, but it's there

- Highs are the most recessed here when comparing it to the other two earphones, but highs are there with nice extension. The more burn-in the more the highs come out, and I like the highs just fine. For highs lovers, however, there may not be enough for you in the EM5813.

-  Guitars are solid but are little behind in the AS-2 in edge. Acoustic guitar, however, resonates better to my ear than it does out of the AS-2 or H3.

-  Space between instruments is better here than in the AS-2, but not better than the H3

- I like the piano better here than in the AS-2, but again, not better than the H3.

 

So that is about it. I used the DX50 and the Fiio E10 as my sound sources (Fiio connected to my desktop Mac of course). Daft Punk's Lose Yourself To Dance, Freddie Hubbard's Little SunFlower, Hall & Oates' I Can't Go For That, and Kem's Share My World were the test tracks used. 

 

I really hesitated in including the Cardas in this comparison because it changes quite a bit with the more burn-in I put on it, and it's still not done. But since so many requested it I decided to throw it in. Without a doubt, these three are the best sound earphones I own right now (I have to throw in the 1964 EARS V6). I didn't say best sounding universals since the AS-2 is a custom, but I'm sure I would include the ASG-2 as one of my best sounding universals with the other two if I still had it. Okay, so if I could only keep two which two would it be? It would be the H3 and AS-2. Please don't take that to mean I'm falling out of love with the Cardas. I am not. The H3 is the biggest surprise to me in sound (and the fact that I can wear it comfortably). I prefer the large and wide UE900 silicon tips, however, to make the H3 sound its best to my ears. And yes, overall, I like the H3's signature the best, but that could change depending on my listening needs. That's it for now. Happy listening.

 

How does the H3 compare with V6 in terms of clarity, details, soundstage, imaging, SQ, etc?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM