Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM - Page 79

post #1171 of 2367

Absolutely nothing harsh about my H3's, they're buttery.

post #1172 of 2367
Quote:
 But no one compared it to the XBA-2.

 

Which has the better value for money XBA-2 (75$) or XBA H1 (110$) ?

XBA-2 didn't get very good reviews as far as I remember, neither has the XBA-H2 (from afar) - I suspect they're too much of a compromise for either end.

post #1173 of 2367

The XBA2 got lousy reviews, Swimsonny, with the cleanest lugs in the business, really disliked them.

post #1174 of 2367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson 6 View Post
 

The XBA2 got lousy reviews, Swimsonny, with the cleanest lugs in the business, really disliked them.

I just looked up Swimsonny's review of the XBA-2.  This sentence started his conclusion.

 

"As their first line of earphones with BA drivers I am really rather impressed and although my other dual Bas are better these are actually rather enjoyable and do deliver a good bassy sound. "

 

Do you think that he did not believe what he wrote?  I have the XBA-2's and while they may not be the best IEMs on the planet, I agree with Swimsonny's review.  I rather like them, wishing for a bit more treble - but I usually wish for a bit more treble.  

post #1175 of 2367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson 6 View Post
 

The XBA2 got lousy reviews, Swimsonny, with the cleanest lugs in the business, really disliked them.

 

Seems his slate wasn't quite as clean as his lugs. ;)

post #1176 of 2367

Why am I bashin' the xba's? I made a mistake with the 1, but I'm in H3 heaven now so I'll let it pass.

post #1177 of 2367
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post
 

 

Seems his slate wasn't quite as clean as his lugs. ;)

Lol

 

Are the H3s getting any better? Does any particular combination (DAC/AMP) make them shine? 

Still vent modded?

post #1178 of 2367
Quote:
Originally Posted by getclikinagas View Post

Are the H3s getting any better? Does any particular combination (DAC/AMP) make them shine? 

Still vent modded?

 

They're not getting better per se, but with tamed bass and a matching source, they become serious top tier contenders.

 

The vent mod is mandatory in my book, to get a halfway decent sound balance. They remain still a bit darkish after that and pair best with a bright source. And they love power.

 

My favorite pairing out of what I own is Sony A845 (bright DAP) + GS Voyager amp + vent modded H3. This combo sounds excellent and at eye level with my best IEMs.

 

Another excellent pairing is FiiO X3 (bass setting on -2) + vent modded H3. The X3 has hardware based bass/treble adjustment which doesn't impair sound quality. But sadly it has an issue with mp3 decoding that's annoying with classical music (most of my stuff is mp3), so I end up using the X3 less often than I'd like. But for those who use flac it's a highly recommendable source for the H3s.

post #1179 of 2367

My XBA-H1 just arrived, and let me just say, I am in heaven. They don't even need any burning, I just put them on and they're already really good. I was using XB41EX (bought XB90EX too, but didn't like it) and H1 is a good upgrade imo. Bought them for £62.

By the way, in case anyone is worried about that, my puny Walkmans (A series and S series) are powerful enough to work it. Gonna try them with my computer now and F886 when it arrives.

post #1180 of 2367

If anyone wants treble, ladies and gents, i give you the XBA 1.

post #1181 of 2367
Which A series do you own?
Edited by pietcux - 11/29/13 at 8:05am
post #1182 of 2367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirwyn View Post
 

My XBA-H1 just arrived, and let me just say, I am in heaven. They don't even need any burning, I just put them on and they're already really good. I was using XB41EX (bought XB90EX too, but didn't like it) and H1 is a good upgrade imo. Bought them for £62.

By the way, in case anyone is worried about that, my puny Walkmans (A series and S series) are powerful enough to work it. Gonna try them with my computer now and F886 when it arrives.

 

How is the bass compared to the XB41/90 ?

post #1183 of 2367
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaim View Post
 

 

How is the bass compared to the XB41/90 ?


Never liked the XB90 from the beginning, so I'm gonna compare it with XB41 (but I'd say H1 has more audible bass than XB90 and a lot more comfortable, less isolation though).

 

Separately speaking, bass is pretty much the same in both. H1 does its job nicely, bass is clear and audible, it's not muddy and doesn't overwhelm other instruments. But, generally speaking, 41's sound sig is still bassier than H1, H1 has more treble and a little bit more detail.


Edited by Eirwyn - 11/29/13 at 9:35am
post #1184 of 2367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirwyn View Post
 


Never liked the XB90 from the beginning, so I'm gonna compare it with XB41 (but I'd say H1 has more audible bass than XB90 and a lot more comfortable, less isolation though).

 

Separately speaking, bass is pretty much the same in both. H1 does its job nicely, bass is clear and audible, it's not muddy and doesn't overwhelm other instruments. But, generally speaking, 41's sound sig is still bassier than H1, H1 has more treble and a little bit more detail.

 

Thanks for the reply, so it sounds like an upgrade then, I'm just after a bit more clarity and treble without losing the bass response of the XB90. I might just get the H1 and try it out, or I might wait a few months and grab the H3's. 

post #1185 of 2367
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaim View Post
 

 

Thanks for the reply, so it sounds like an upgrade then, I'm just after a bit more clarity and treble without losing the bass response of the XB90. I might just get the H1 and try it out, or I might wait a few months and grab the H3's. 


Keep that in mind that I do not like XB90, but people who do like it, doesn't really think H1 is an upgrade. Just fyi :wink: (But in my opinion, hell yeah it's an upgrade!)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM