If you're willing to buy used, you could get a lot better for your money, like a used HD600. Most Head-Fiers take very good care of their gear.
Related Forum Threads
- HD380's for ATH-M50's or HD598's for HD580 Last post on 6/10/13 at 4:45pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- $100-$300 Headphones Review: ATH-M50 vs ATH-AD700 vs HD598 vs SRH940 vs DT1350 vs V6 vs Modded V6... Last post on 12/3/13 at 6:37pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- How do Sennheiser HD open back line compare to ATH-M50? Last post on 9/1/12 at 11:07pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD598, DT880Pro, SR225, ATH-M50? Last post on 6/15/12 at 7:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Audio Technica ATH-M50 or Sennheiser HD598? Last post on 6/13/12 at 9:54am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: Yesterday
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Looking for some nice headphones under €200, sennheiser HD 598 vs audio technica ATH-M50 - Page 3post #31 of 459/25/13 at 3:41pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 459/25/13 at 3:44pmpost #33 of 459/26/13 at 9:05amThread Starterpost #34 of 459/26/13 at 9:28am
In that case, unless you want boosted bass or need a closed headphone, I would go with HD598 as others have recommended. It shares some of the qualities of the HD600 and isn't nearly as picky with amplification.post #35 of 459/26/13 at 12:09pmThread Starter
Hmmm, I might invest in an Amp anyway, just heard somebody say that the DT880 wasn't very good for movies,anyone having expierence with that? What would be a proper amp for a DT880, not too expensive but just good. And ofcourse, what are the other alternatives? I find watching movies, listening music and gaming equally important.
How reliable is buying a second hand headphone on here?
I know I'm quite picky with everything I buy, but choosing a headphone proves to be extremely difficult. As I only have budget for one headphone, I need a good allrounder.
Edited by Niels Meijer - 9/26/13 at 12:14pmpost #36 of 459/26/13 at 12:50pm
I haven't used DT880's for movies but I don't see why they wouldn't be good for movies. They are semi open with a decent soundstage, and are pretty accurate with good bass extension. Not huge boosted bass mind you.
Schiit Magni is probably the best amp for around $100 but it might be a little bright for DT880's since Beyers have a tendency towards bright treble. Stepping up to $150 gets you a brand new pre-built Objective2 amp or a used Matrix M-Stage. The latter is competitive with many $1000+ amps, especially if you drop in a free op amp upgrade from Texas Instruments.
I've never had any problems with buying or selling here on Head-Fi. Make sure to buy from someone with at least one positive feedback.post #37 of 459/27/13 at 9:20amThread StarterI might look into buying second hand after all, currently negotiating for a HD650, if i can get that within my budget. I will keep an eye on the second hands here. HD600/HD650 would those be nice? Currently spending hours researching all options, much more difficult as i had expected but I enjoy it.post #38 of 459/27/13 at 9:26am
For movies, a Beyer DT990 Pro 250-Ohm, leaves a lot of your budget for a decent amplifier.
DT990, full bass & full treble, slightly overshadows the mids, but the mids are clear.post #39 of 459/27/13 at 9:41am
I have the HD600's and they're amazing. HD650's have less treble so they sound warmer and thicker, but the HD600's are more neutral. HD650 has a very slight advantage in soundstage and comes with a much thicker and heavier cable with a 1/4" plug versus the HD600's mini 3.5mm plug. You can EQ either one of them to sound 99% like the other, so for me the cheaper HD600 is a much better deal. Bass packs some good punch but you might want more deep rumble for movies. They have better bass than the HD598 though.post #40 of 459/29/13 at 2:51amThread Starter
Thanks for the help, if I am able to get a nice seconde hand HD650 that would be awesome. I am looking for a nice pair within my budget at the moment. My budget currently is around €220 for the headphones. (about 300 USD).post #41 of 459/29/13 at 3:05ampost #42 of 4510/1/13 at 8:48amThread Starterpost #43 of 4510/1/13 at 8:48amThread Starterpost #44 of 4510/1/13 at 11:55ampost #45 of 4510/5/13 at 5:38amThread Starter
I will, since the headphones are shipping from Spain and only were sent to me yesterday, it will probably take about a week or something like that before I will receive them. I'll post how I like them, right now I am trying to find out which portable AMP I should get with them in the future. I'll open a new topic about that in a while, I am considering the JDSlabs cmoyBB since I've read on headfonia they are very good with the HD 650. Not sure yet though.
- Looking for some nice headphones under €200, sennheiser HD 598 vs audio technica ATH-M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Speaker amps for headphones 9 seconds ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Updated 9/2/2013: Sony... 18 seconds ago
- › New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and... 47 seconds ago
- › Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good. 48 seconds ago
- › New Audiofly Range Coming at CES 1 minute ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 2 minutes ago
- › New AKG flagship K812 first impression 5 minutes ago
- › $600 Classical and Opera headphones. 5 minutes ago
- › ~$200 Gaming Setup 6 minutes ago
- › Superlux Express Train 7 minutes ago
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › ecp audio L-2 Parafeed Headphone Amplifier by minimus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by DrumminD21311
- › FiiO RC-MH1 Headphone Upgrade Cable by SkyBleu
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Wireless... by warrenpchi