If you're willing to buy used, you could get a lot better for your money, like a used HD600. Most Head-Fiers take very good care of their gear.
Related Forum Threads
- Need a 250$ headphones instad of my ATH M50 Last post on 2/22/14 at 8:48pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HD380's for ATH-M50's or HD598's for HD580 Last post on 6/10/13 at 4:45pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- $100-$300 Headphones Review: ATH-M50 vs ATH-AD700 vs HD598 vs SRH940 vs DT1350 vs V6 vs Modded V6... Last post on 5/29/14 at 5:02pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- How do Sennheiser HD open back line compare to ATH-M50? Last post on 9/1/12 at 11:07pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD598, DT880Pro, SR225, ATH-M50? Last post on 6/15/12 at 7:34am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Looking for some nice headphones under €200, sennheiser HD 598 vs audio technica ATH-M50 - Page 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:
In that case, unless you want boosted bass or need a closed headphone, I would go with HD598 as others have recommended. It shares some of the qualities of the HD600 and isn't nearly as picky with amplification.
Hmmm, I might invest in an Amp anyway, just heard somebody say that the DT880 wasn't very good for movies,anyone having expierence with that? What would be a proper amp for a DT880, not too expensive but just good. And ofcourse, what are the other alternatives? I find watching movies, listening music and gaming equally important.
How reliable is buying a second hand headphone on here?
I know I'm quite picky with everything I buy, but choosing a headphone proves to be extremely difficult. As I only have budget for one headphone, I need a good allrounder.
Edited by Niels Meijer - 9/26/13 at 12:14pm
I haven't used DT880's for movies but I don't see why they wouldn't be good for movies. They are semi open with a decent soundstage, and are pretty accurate with good bass extension. Not huge boosted bass mind you.
Schiit Magni is probably the best amp for around $100 but it might be a little bright for DT880's since Beyers have a tendency towards bright treble. Stepping up to $150 gets you a brand new pre-built Objective2 amp or a used Matrix M-Stage. The latter is competitive with many $1000+ amps, especially if you drop in a free op amp upgrade from Texas Instruments.
I've never had any problems with buying or selling here on Head-Fi. Make sure to buy from someone with at least one positive feedback.
For movies, a Beyer DT990 Pro 250-Ohm, leaves a lot of your budget for a decent amplifier.
DT990, full bass & full treble, slightly overshadows the mids, but the mids are clear.
I have the HD600's and they're amazing. HD650's have less treble so they sound warmer and thicker, but the HD600's are more neutral. HD650 has a very slight advantage in soundstage and comes with a much thicker and heavier cable with a 1/4" plug versus the HD600's mini 3.5mm plug. You can EQ either one of them to sound 99% like the other, so for me the cheaper HD600 is a much better deal. Bass packs some good punch but you might want more deep rumble for movies. They have better bass than the HD598 though.
Thanks for the help, if I am able to get a nice seconde hand HD650 that would be awesome. I am looking for a nice pair within my budget at the moment. My budget currently is around €220 for the headphones. (about 300 USD).
I will, since the headphones are shipping from Spain and only were sent to me yesterday, it will probably take about a week or something like that before I will receive them. I'll post how I like them, right now I am trying to find out which portable AMP I should get with them in the future. I'll open a new topic about that in a while, I am considering the JDSlabs cmoyBB since I've read on headfonia they are very good with the HD 650. Not sure yet though.
- Looking for some nice headphones under €200, sennheiser HD 598 vs audio technica ATH-M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › PX100-II Review | Appreciation Thread 50 seconds ago
- › What smartphone screen size do you prefer? 2 minutes ago
- › POCKET RADIO RECOMMENDATION NEEDED 2 minutes ago
- › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › audio-gd C-2 Class A 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO E12 or E17? 4 minutes ago
- › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) 4 minutes ago
- › [Review] Noble Audio Kaiser 10 - The Wizard Rises Again 5 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 6 minutes ago
- › NocturnaL Audio Custom Headphone Cables 7 minutes ago
- › AKG K 550 by Ufasas
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)