If you're willing to buy used, you could get a lot better for your money, like a used HD600. Most Head-Fiers take very good care of their gear.
Related Forum Threads
- Need a 250$ headphones instad of my ATH M50 Last post on 2/22/14 at 8:48pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HD380's for ATH-M50's or HD598's for HD580 Last post on 6/10/13 at 4:45pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- $100-$300 Headphones Review: ATH-M50 vs ATH-AD700 vs HD598 vs SRH940 vs DT1350 vs V6 vs Modded V6... Last post on 12/3/13 at 6:37pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- How do Sennheiser HD open back line compare to ATH-M50? Last post on 9/1/12 at 11:07pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD598, DT880Pro, SR225, ATH-M50? Last post on 6/15/12 at 7:34am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
First I’d like to thank HiFiMAN for sending me their new HM-700 DAP and RE-400B (balanced version of the RE-400) bundle for me to review. I have always wondered about the balanced players that...
Foreword Chinese/HK headphone manufacturer Astrotec is known for its value-priced products (beginning with their lauded AM90), and they've stuck to their guns by pricing the AX35 (and its near...
When I bought these headphones about 2 months ago, I didn't expect much and I bought them without trying them out. It was an impulse buy to be honest, they were on a considerable discount and I...
I have had these now for a few months. I heard they had a very bass orientated sound but not so much that it ruins everything else. When i first purchased these i was a bit confused as to why they...
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
Looking for some nice headphones under €200, sennheiser HD 598 vs audio technica ATH-M50 - Page 3post #31 of 459/25/13 at 3:41pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 459/25/13 at 3:44pmpost #33 of 459/26/13 at 9:05amThread Starterpost #34 of 459/26/13 at 9:28am
In that case, unless you want boosted bass or need a closed headphone, I would go with HD598 as others have recommended. It shares some of the qualities of the HD600 and isn't nearly as picky with amplification.post #35 of 459/26/13 at 12:09pmThread Starter
Hmmm, I might invest in an Amp anyway, just heard somebody say that the DT880 wasn't very good for movies,anyone having expierence with that? What would be a proper amp for a DT880, not too expensive but just good. And ofcourse, what are the other alternatives? I find watching movies, listening music and gaming equally important.
How reliable is buying a second hand headphone on here?
I know I'm quite picky with everything I buy, but choosing a headphone proves to be extremely difficult. As I only have budget for one headphone, I need a good allrounder.
Edited by Niels Meijer - 9/26/13 at 12:14pmpost #36 of 459/26/13 at 12:50pm
I haven't used DT880's for movies but I don't see why they wouldn't be good for movies. They are semi open with a decent soundstage, and are pretty accurate with good bass extension. Not huge boosted bass mind you.
Schiit Magni is probably the best amp for around $100 but it might be a little bright for DT880's since Beyers have a tendency towards bright treble. Stepping up to $150 gets you a brand new pre-built Objective2 amp or a used Matrix M-Stage. The latter is competitive with many $1000+ amps, especially if you drop in a free op amp upgrade from Texas Instruments.
I've never had any problems with buying or selling here on Head-Fi. Make sure to buy from someone with at least one positive feedback.post #37 of 459/27/13 at 9:20amThread StarterI might look into buying second hand after all, currently negotiating for a HD650, if i can get that within my budget. I will keep an eye on the second hands here. HD600/HD650 would those be nice? Currently spending hours researching all options, much more difficult as i had expected but I enjoy it.post #38 of 459/27/13 at 9:26am
For movies, a Beyer DT990 Pro 250-Ohm, leaves a lot of your budget for a decent amplifier.
DT990, full bass & full treble, slightly overshadows the mids, but the mids are clear.post #39 of 459/27/13 at 9:41am
I have the HD600's and they're amazing. HD650's have less treble so they sound warmer and thicker, but the HD600's are more neutral. HD650 has a very slight advantage in soundstage and comes with a much thicker and heavier cable with a 1/4" plug versus the HD600's mini 3.5mm plug. You can EQ either one of them to sound 99% like the other, so for me the cheaper HD600 is a much better deal. Bass packs some good punch but you might want more deep rumble for movies. They have better bass than the HD598 though.post #40 of 459/29/13 at 2:51amThread Starter
Thanks for the help, if I am able to get a nice seconde hand HD650 that would be awesome. I am looking for a nice pair within my budget at the moment. My budget currently is around €220 for the headphones. (about 300 USD).post #41 of 459/29/13 at 3:05ampost #42 of 4510/1/13 at 8:48amThread Starterpost #43 of 4510/1/13 at 8:48amThread Starterpost #44 of 4510/1/13 at 11:55ampost #45 of 4510/5/13 at 5:38amThread Starter
I will, since the headphones are shipping from Spain and only were sent to me yesterday, it will probably take about a week or something like that before I will receive them. I'll post how I like them, right now I am trying to find out which portable AMP I should get with them in the future. I'll open a new topic about that in a while, I am considering the JDSlabs cmoyBB since I've read on headfonia they are very good with the HD 650. Not sure yet though.
- Looking for some nice headphones under €200, sennheiser HD 598 vs audio technica ATH-M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 1 minute ago
- › FS: Geek Out 450 - Black - Unused 1 minute ago
- › post your grado mods.... 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 4/17/2014: AKG... 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII 2 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF... 2 minutes ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 3 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 3 minutes ago
- › Bose AE2 - Any good? (No mindless Bose bashing, please) 3 minutes ago
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob