If you're willing to buy used, you could get a lot better for your money, like a used HD600. Most Head-Fiers take very good care of their gear.
Related Forum Threads
- Need a 250$ headphones instad of my ATH M50 Last post on 2/22/14 at 8:48pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HD380's for ATH-M50's or HD598's for HD580 Last post on 6/10/13 at 4:45pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- $100-$300 Headphones Review: ATH-M50 vs ATH-AD700 vs HD598 vs SRH940 vs DT1350 vs V6 vs Modded V6... Last post on 5/29/14 at 5:02pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- How do Sennheiser HD open back line compare to ATH-M50? Last post on 9/1/12 at 11:07pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD598, DT880Pro, SR225, ATH-M50? Last post on 6/15/12 at 7:34am in Headphones (full-size)
Looking for some nice headphones under €200, sennheiser HD 598 vs audio technica ATH-M50 - Page 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:
In that case, unless you want boosted bass or need a closed headphone, I would go with HD598 as others have recommended. It shares some of the qualities of the HD600 and isn't nearly as picky with amplification.
Hmmm, I might invest in an Amp anyway, just heard somebody say that the DT880 wasn't very good for movies,anyone having expierence with that? What would be a proper amp for a DT880, not too expensive but just good. And ofcourse, what are the other alternatives? I find watching movies, listening music and gaming equally important.
How reliable is buying a second hand headphone on here?
I know I'm quite picky with everything I buy, but choosing a headphone proves to be extremely difficult. As I only have budget for one headphone, I need a good allrounder.
Edited by Niels Meijer - 9/26/13 at 12:14pm
I haven't used DT880's for movies but I don't see why they wouldn't be good for movies. They are semi open with a decent soundstage, and are pretty accurate with good bass extension. Not huge boosted bass mind you.
Schiit Magni is probably the best amp for around $100 but it might be a little bright for DT880's since Beyers have a tendency towards bright treble. Stepping up to $150 gets you a brand new pre-built Objective2 amp or a used Matrix M-Stage. The latter is competitive with many $1000+ amps, especially if you drop in a free op amp upgrade from Texas Instruments.
I've never had any problems with buying or selling here on Head-Fi. Make sure to buy from someone with at least one positive feedback.
For movies, a Beyer DT990 Pro 250-Ohm, leaves a lot of your budget for a decent amplifier.
DT990, full bass & full treble, slightly overshadows the mids, but the mids are clear.
I have the HD600's and they're amazing. HD650's have less treble so they sound warmer and thicker, but the HD600's are more neutral. HD650 has a very slight advantage in soundstage and comes with a much thicker and heavier cable with a 1/4" plug versus the HD600's mini 3.5mm plug. You can EQ either one of them to sound 99% like the other, so for me the cheaper HD600 is a much better deal. Bass packs some good punch but you might want more deep rumble for movies. They have better bass than the HD598 though.
Thanks for the help, if I am able to get a nice seconde hand HD650 that would be awesome. I am looking for a nice pair within my budget at the moment. My budget currently is around €220 for the headphones. (about 300 USD).
I will, since the headphones are shipping from Spain and only were sent to me yesterday, it will probably take about a week or something like that before I will receive them. I'll post how I like them, right now I am trying to find out which portable AMP I should get with them in the future. I'll open a new topic about that in a while, I am considering the JDSlabs cmoyBB since I've read on headfonia they are very good with the HD 650. Not sure yet though.
- Looking for some nice headphones under €200, sennheiser HD 598 vs audio technica ATH-M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The Everything MOD Gallery! 41 seconds ago
- › Upcoming Beyerdynamic Headphones - Custom One Tesla, Custom One... 2 minutes ago
- › NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions 3 minutes ago
- › CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 3 minutes ago
- › UK 2015 Head-Fi Meet (Cambridge - Saturday 25th April) 3 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread 7 minutes ago
- › DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . Lurker0 FW Mod... 7 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 9 minutes ago
- › Dark Voice 339 9 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Zulkr9
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by jdog
- › ZERO AUDIO-ear stereo headphone carbo Basso ZH-DX210-CB by AzimAkbar
- › Sennheiser HD540 Reference Headphones by homesicalien
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by acain
- › Incipio f38 Headphones by ahnvx
- › Bose® IE2 audio headphones by Sarurururu
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by Ruwetuin
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by mark2410
- › Sony Inner Ear Hi-res Stereo Headphone Xba-a2 Black (Japan Import) by Hawaiibadboy
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2