- 1,857 Posts. Joined 12/2009
- Location: Upstate
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Custom IEMs :D Last post on 2/28/15 at 6:02pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Flattest, Most Neutral IEMs For Recording, Mixing, and Mastering Last post on 2/19/15 at 11:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Universal IEMS for Death, Black, Thrash Metal and Hardcore Punk < $300 Last post on 2/19/15 at 9:02am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- JH-13 on Massdrop Last post on 2/5/15 at 6:44am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- JH 13 FP VS Roxanne Last post on 10/21/15 at 3:25pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Here is my short review of the HOOKA headphone hanger. Thank you to Pandora from Brainwavz for providing me with the product. This very cool headphone hanger came in a nice, small sized...
The Emotiva DC-1 Stealth DAC is frankly, an incredible value. The only other products I can think of that offers such a complete and capable skill set for such a low cost are the Koss KSC75,...
This is a very comfortable headphone (not ideally so, but close enough) and once you get used to the clap force, you barely notice it's on. The sound quality is amazing. I have compared this...
First of all, thank you to @ejong7 for arranging for me to be included in this review tour. I am in no way affiliated with Obravo or any retailer. I am head-fi hobbyist and music lover...
Where do I start? These honestly sound like the HD600/650 in IEM form. My previous go to IEM was the Klipsch X10 ($100), followed by the Klipsch X20i ($539). What is amazing, is that the RE-400...
Cypher Labs Theorem 720 - Page 9
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
No mod yet, however since most head fiers in the Westone 4 thread recommend using the 4r with a 100 ohm resistor I finaly decided to use the one that I purchased from Ebay. And voila hiss gone..zero..nada..non existant, totally silent black background. They say that the resistor fixe alot of issues with the 4r my question is would it cause any other unwanted issues other than possibly draining the Theorems battery faster?
I don't think you will drain the Theorem's battery any faster. True you will use a small bit more voltage to achieve the same volume level at the ear, but it should be insignificant. The resistor may also change the sound nature of the 4r because the impedance can affect the crossover circuit, which generally reacts at a certain impedance input. I've not tested FRs of resisted earphones vs. unresisted, but I know some people who have gone back and forth and noticed big changes (again, you may like it, you may not) in their earphones base sound signature. If it is worth it because hiss is gone, then good.
Back in the day, a lot of amps had high Ω output. To get them to play nicely with a pair of earphones... you needed the ER4 or a resistor. That was when people found out that the resistor also changed the sound signature of the earphone.
ahhh that's a shame... all these hiss talk makes me so sad...
As long as you know that every single source/amp hisses, and you are prepared for that, then I hope you are happy with your decision. That used to be my primary concern. And I was never, ever, happy. Today I'm recovering- a recovering hiss hater!
I just ordered the 720 from Moon Audio. Will there be hiss with over the ear or on ear headphones? I am going to be using it for the senn 600 and Audio Technica ES10. I won't be using any in ear headphones.
Should be not for the HD600 and probably not for the ES10. Cross your fingers on it :)
Nah, I do not think it is a flaw. Even with the earphones, I still consider the hiss at acceptable level (much softer and lower than RXMk3). Do not worry much about the ES10, I am just not sure as I never listen it with the 720. The HD600 impedance is too high to produce hiss. With iems around 90ohms or higher, I hear no hiss.
I am a head fi rookie and this is in fact my first post. I have been paying attention to this thread since its inception and it has been fun to see it grow. I have taken the plunge and purchased a theorem last week from TTVJ. It is my first external DAC as I have previously only listened to music directly through a macbook pro retina/iphone 5. Right now all I have is the Phonak Audeo PFE 232 earphones to test it. While my computer's direct out actually sounds very good, my initial impressions are that the theorem has unlocked a warmth, depth and clarity to familiar songs making my entire library feel uncharted...very exciting.
For the record, there is very, very low hiss on the low amp stage; however, I have found that the sound-stage and overall clarity drastically improves when I set the source player volume at around 25% and bump the amp to Medium with volume cranked or even High with volume at about 40%. To my ears, as I increase the power of the amp, the music gets much brighter/punchier (which can be good or bad depending on the song/genre) but also WAY more spacious and detailed leading to a few of those holy SH*! moments that vindicate the price of purchase. Unfortunately the hiss does also increase significantly on the higher gain stages. So.... couple questions:
1 Am I just hearing things or does the source volume precut + higher amplitude usually lead to better sound stage and clarity?
2 Are the 232's worthy of this rig or would the Fiio E17 essentially provide similar benefits relative to the sound quality ceiling of the IEMs.
3 (This is the main question I'd hope to spark a thread discussion)
What Open Ear desktop cans do you think would synergize best with the theorem?
I am looking for something in the $400 – $600 range and listen to a wide variety of music from 70s rock to modern trance. My current go to album is a 24/96 vinyl rip of Herbie Hancock's Man-Child... so funky and creamy. Though, n the same listening session earlier today I also listened to Brothers in Arms and Random Access Memories. So I really want something that is highly versatile and universally compatible with all music and movies..
right now the sennheiser HD 600 is selling on Amazon for $400… Any thoughts?
thanks so much and sorry for the long-winded post... I'm still a newb
Thanks for your response. I am okay with soft hiss. Once the music plays, I am pretty sure I can't hear it. That's perfectly acceptable. Any good portable headphones you would recommend to go with the 720?
- Cypher Labs Theorem 720
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › TIDAL is coming to Astell&Kern players! 32 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 2 minutes ago
- › Help with best Blu Ray Player / TV / Headphone setup for Movies 2 minutes ago
- › Stax SR-X mk3. Shipping from Germany. 4 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 5 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia impressions and discussion 6 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 6 minutes ago
- › The Upcoming FiiO T3 | Dual SD slot | 3.2 inch full touch screen |... 9 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 10 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Hooka by DynamikeB
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by JoeDoe
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by MorrisL
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by Krisman
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by achelgeson
- › Meze 99 Classics by Mshenay
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by C.C.S.
- › Effect Audio Leonidas by MikePortnoy
- › Brainwavz BLU-200 by DynamikeB
- › Marantz HD- DAC1High Definition USB DAC / Headphone Amp by Gamergtx260
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...