- 1,424 Posts. Joined 12/2009
- Location: Upstate
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Custom JH13 Freqphase IEM - do third party remolds affect sound signature? Last post on 1/21/15 at 4:28am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Which universal model is the most similar to Westone ES50? Last post on 1/22/15 at 1:32am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- 1964 | Adel A10/ A12 - New Flagship Discussion / Impressions Thread Last post on 1/28/15 at 9:56pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- JH13 custom or Roxanne universal? Last post on 12/2/14 at 7:31am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Top-of-the-line headphones vs (C)IEMs Last post on 11/3/14 at 3:28am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Cayin for providing me with a review sample of their new flagship N6 DAP which is currently available on Amazon and from other retailers like...
After picking these up from the Sony Store about a year ago, I can say that these are definitely not worth the $350-$400 price tag. Luckily, I picked them up for around $180 and to me, this seems...
First of all the reason I rate the SE215 5/5* is primarily because of the value it presents under the $100 mark. You will be extremely hard pressed to find a pair of IEMs at this price considering...
I'm all about best use on a budget for a specific person and lifestyle. In my case, the Jaybird Bluebud X's were fantastic. You can check out my review on head fi here, but I also have an older...
SENNHEISER URBANITE XL REVIEW Full sized headphones haven't been part of my usage options for quite some time now. I used to own a Sony MDR-1R but despite the excellent comfort and decent sound my...
Cypher Labs Theorem 720 - Page 9
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
No mod yet, however since most head fiers in the Westone 4 thread recommend using the 4r with a 100 ohm resistor I finaly decided to use the one that I purchased from Ebay. And voila hiss gone..zero..nada..non existant, totally silent black background. They say that the resistor fixe alot of issues with the 4r my question is would it cause any other unwanted issues other than possibly draining the Theorems battery faster?
I don't think you will drain the Theorem's battery any faster. True you will use a small bit more voltage to achieve the same volume level at the ear, but it should be insignificant. The resistor may also change the sound nature of the 4r because the impedance can affect the crossover circuit, which generally reacts at a certain impedance input. I've not tested FRs of resisted earphones vs. unresisted, but I know some people who have gone back and forth and noticed big changes (again, you may like it, you may not) in their earphones base sound signature. If it is worth it because hiss is gone, then good.
Back in the day, a lot of amps had high Ω output. To get them to play nicely with a pair of earphones... you needed the ER4 or a resistor. That was when people found out that the resistor also changed the sound signature of the earphone.
ahhh that's a shame... all these hiss talk makes me so sad...
As long as you know that every single source/amp hisses, and you are prepared for that, then I hope you are happy with your decision. That used to be my primary concern. And I was never, ever, happy. Today I'm recovering- a recovering hiss hater!
I just ordered the 720 from Moon Audio. Will there be hiss with over the ear or on ear headphones? I am going to be using it for the senn 600 and Audio Technica ES10. I won't be using any in ear headphones.
Should be not for the HD600 and probably not for the ES10. Cross your fingers on it :)
Nah, I do not think it is a flaw. Even with the earphones, I still consider the hiss at acceptable level (much softer and lower than RXMk3). Do not worry much about the ES10, I am just not sure as I never listen it with the 720. The HD600 impedance is too high to produce hiss. With iems around 90ohms or higher, I hear no hiss.
I am a head fi rookie and this is in fact my first post. I have been paying attention to this thread since its inception and it has been fun to see it grow. I have taken the plunge and purchased a theorem last week from TTVJ. It is my first external DAC as I have previously only listened to music directly through a macbook pro retina/iphone 5. Right now all I have is the Phonak Audeo PFE 232 earphones to test it. While my computer's direct out actually sounds very good, my initial impressions are that the theorem has unlocked a warmth, depth and clarity to familiar songs making my entire library feel uncharted...very exciting.
For the record, there is very, very low hiss on the low amp stage; however, I have found that the sound-stage and overall clarity drastically improves when I set the source player volume at around 25% and bump the amp to Medium with volume cranked or even High with volume at about 40%. To my ears, as I increase the power of the amp, the music gets much brighter/punchier (which can be good or bad depending on the song/genre) but also WAY more spacious and detailed leading to a few of those holy SH*! moments that vindicate the price of purchase. Unfortunately the hiss does also increase significantly on the higher gain stages. So.... couple questions:
1 Am I just hearing things or does the source volume precut + higher amplitude usually lead to better sound stage and clarity?
2 Are the 232's worthy of this rig or would the Fiio E17 essentially provide similar benefits relative to the sound quality ceiling of the IEMs.
3 (This is the main question I'd hope to spark a thread discussion)
What Open Ear desktop cans do you think would synergize best with the theorem?
I am looking for something in the $400 – $600 range and listen to a wide variety of music from 70s rock to modern trance. My current go to album is a 24/96 vinyl rip of Herbie Hancock's Man-Child... so funky and creamy. Though, n the same listening session earlier today I also listened to Brothers in Arms and Random Access Memories. So I really want something that is highly versatile and universally compatible with all music and movies..
right now the sennheiser HD 600 is selling on Amazon for $400… Any thoughts?
thanks so much and sorry for the long-winded post... I'm still a newb
Thanks for your response. I am okay with soft hiss. Once the music plays, I am pretty sure I can't hear it. That's perfectly acceptable. Any good portable headphones you would recommend to go with the 720?
- Cypher Labs Theorem 720
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Havi B6 ! 11 seconds ago
- › Looking for £50 (amazon UK only) over ear headphones any... 34 seconds ago
- › FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design,... 1 minute ago
- › RHA T10i Tour & Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › Auralic Vega Dac 4 minutes ago
- › Testing the claim: "I can hear differences between lossless formats." 5 minutes ago
- › EarWerkz Legend R. 8 Driver, 7-Way, 6-Crossover Flagship |... 5 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 6 minutes ago
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by twister6
- › Sony XBA-4SL by cuiter23
- › Shure SE215 by cuiter23
- › Soundpeats Qy7 Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running... by ActiveTechREV
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Black Over-Ear Headphones by d marc0
- › HIFIMAN RE300a(Black) InLine Control Earphone by mark2410
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by mark2410
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by DJScope
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by CJ09
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by ActiveTechREV
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3