- 1,857 Posts. Joined 12/2009
- Location: Upstate
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Custom IEMs :D Last post on 2/28/15 at 6:02pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Flattest, Most Neutral IEMs For Recording, Mixing, and Mastering Last post on 2/19/15 at 11:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Universal IEMS for Death, Black, Thrash Metal and Hardcore Punk < $300 Last post on 2/19/15 at 9:02am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- JH-13 on Massdrop Last post on 2/5/15 at 6:44am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- JH 13 FP VS Roxanne Last post on 10/21/15 at 3:25pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
This is my first review and it's going to be brief...Never in my life have I been so damn impressed with an audio product (I have a bunch) than I am with my Custom K10's!!! There is not 1 thing...
INTRODUCTION Hello again guys, I am Areek Nibras, a junior Head-fier and a recently graduated physician from Bangladesh, currently doing post-graduation training in Internal medicine. Today I will...
I picked up these for my wife. I thought that since she is more of an average listener (not too concerned with audio), the V-shaped sound might be acceptable or even preferred. I gave them a listen...
I got to listen to these for a couple weeks as part of the USA tour, with the requirement that I write a review and pay to ship them to the next participant. I am not affiliated with, and was not...
Introduction: I have had the chance to listen to the HD800 a few times at local Head-Fi meets. However, I have never got a good chance to listen to them, either the person who owned them...
Cypher Labs Theorem 720 - Page 9
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
No mod yet, however since most head fiers in the Westone 4 thread recommend using the 4r with a 100 ohm resistor I finaly decided to use the one that I purchased from Ebay. And voila hiss gone..zero..nada..non existant, totally silent black background. They say that the resistor fixe alot of issues with the 4r my question is would it cause any other unwanted issues other than possibly draining the Theorems battery faster?
I don't think you will drain the Theorem's battery any faster. True you will use a small bit more voltage to achieve the same volume level at the ear, but it should be insignificant. The resistor may also change the sound nature of the 4r because the impedance can affect the crossover circuit, which generally reacts at a certain impedance input. I've not tested FRs of resisted earphones vs. unresisted, but I know some people who have gone back and forth and noticed big changes (again, you may like it, you may not) in their earphones base sound signature. If it is worth it because hiss is gone, then good.
Back in the day, a lot of amps had high Ω output. To get them to play nicely with a pair of earphones... you needed the ER4 or a resistor. That was when people found out that the resistor also changed the sound signature of the earphone.
ahhh that's a shame... all these hiss talk makes me so sad...
As long as you know that every single source/amp hisses, and you are prepared for that, then I hope you are happy with your decision. That used to be my primary concern. And I was never, ever, happy. Today I'm recovering- a recovering hiss hater!
I just ordered the 720 from Moon Audio. Will there be hiss with over the ear or on ear headphones? I am going to be using it for the senn 600 and Audio Technica ES10. I won't be using any in ear headphones.
Should be not for the HD600 and probably not for the ES10. Cross your fingers on it :)
Nah, I do not think it is a flaw. Even with the earphones, I still consider the hiss at acceptable level (much softer and lower than RXMk3). Do not worry much about the ES10, I am just not sure as I never listen it with the 720. The HD600 impedance is too high to produce hiss. With iems around 90ohms or higher, I hear no hiss.
I am a head fi rookie and this is in fact my first post. I have been paying attention to this thread since its inception and it has been fun to see it grow. I have taken the plunge and purchased a theorem last week from TTVJ. It is my first external DAC as I have previously only listened to music directly through a macbook pro retina/iphone 5. Right now all I have is the Phonak Audeo PFE 232 earphones to test it. While my computer's direct out actually sounds very good, my initial impressions are that the theorem has unlocked a warmth, depth and clarity to familiar songs making my entire library feel uncharted...very exciting.
For the record, there is very, very low hiss on the low amp stage; however, I have found that the sound-stage and overall clarity drastically improves when I set the source player volume at around 25% and bump the amp to Medium with volume cranked or even High with volume at about 40%. To my ears, as I increase the power of the amp, the music gets much brighter/punchier (which can be good or bad depending on the song/genre) but also WAY more spacious and detailed leading to a few of those holy SH*! moments that vindicate the price of purchase. Unfortunately the hiss does also increase significantly on the higher gain stages. So.... couple questions:
1 Am I just hearing things or does the source volume precut + higher amplitude usually lead to better sound stage and clarity?
2 Are the 232's worthy of this rig or would the Fiio E17 essentially provide similar benefits relative to the sound quality ceiling of the IEMs.
3 (This is the main question I'd hope to spark a thread discussion)
What Open Ear desktop cans do you think would synergize best with the theorem?
I am looking for something in the $400 – $600 range and listen to a wide variety of music from 70s rock to modern trance. My current go to album is a 24/96 vinyl rip of Herbie Hancock's Man-Child... so funky and creamy. Though, n the same listening session earlier today I also listened to Brothers in Arms and Random Access Memories. So I really want something that is highly versatile and universally compatible with all music and movies..
right now the sennheiser HD 600 is selling on Amazon for $400… Any thoughts?
thanks so much and sorry for the long-winded post... I'm still a newb
Thanks for your response. I am okay with soft hiss. Once the music plays, I am pretty sure I can't hear it. That's perfectly acceptable. Any good portable headphones you would recommend to go with the 720?
- Cypher Labs Theorem 720
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 31 seconds ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 33 seconds ago
- › Best DAC from $1500 to $2500 (or so) Can anything beat the Eastern... 1 minute ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 1 minute ago
- › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 1 minute ago
- › The Sub-$200 Portable Amps Shootout – 13 (+11) amps compared 2 minutes ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 2 minutes ago
- › New!! Cavalli Audio Liquid Crimson Amp 2 minutes ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Techno, Electro & Underground Beats 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by Bighappy
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by areek
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM In-Ear by Yubacore
- › Meze 99 Classics by Defiant00
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by silvrr
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Hisoundfi
- › Audeze EL-8 Open-Back by droido256
- › OPPO PM-3 by Sophonax
- › Sennheiser HD 558 by starbux61
- › X-18 D2 - Sundown Audio 18" Dual 2-Ohm X-Series Subwoofer by RockeyDA
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse