Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Good solid state amp for $500-700
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good solid state amp for $500-700 - Page 4

post #46 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Over My Head View Post

I'm sure it is, but its too much hassle:). I like to select tracks with a click of the mouse.

That's the true downside to vinyl, unless you get a automatic direct drive turntable biggrin.gif
post #47 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire5003 View Post


That's the true downside to vinyl, unless you get a automatic direct drive turntable biggrin.gif

lol, and the need for a warehouse to store the same amount of music as you could fit in your pocket in FLAC format:).

 

I'd spend more time looking for music than listening to it if I had my library in vinyl.  

post #48 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Over My Head View Post

lol, and the need for a warehouse to store the same amount of music as you could fit in your pocket in FLAC format:).

I'd spend more time looking for music than listening to it if I had my library in vinyl.  

You've got a point there. I usually go to half price books, and buy a bunch of vinyl for $1 or $0.50 each. If I really want the album on vinyl, then usually I will buy it new from amazon with the CD.
post #49 of 56
Thread Starter 

I just placed an order for the Audio-GD SA-31SE.

 

Thanks for the help, everyone :)

post #50 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
 

I just placed an order for the Audio-GD SA-31SE.

 

Thanks for the help, everyone :)

Cool, come back and let us know what you think. I dig mine.

post #51 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkalia View Post

I just placed an order for the Audio-GD SA-31SE.

Thanks for the help, everyone smily_headphones1.gif

Good choice, may I ask why you chose it over the NFB-10.33? The DAC is really good in it. Perhaps you should get a neutral DAC, since your amplifier is warm. Hmm....
post #52 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire5003 View Post


Good choice, may I ask why you chose it over the NFB-10.33? The DAC is really good in it. Perhaps you should get a neutral DAC, since your amplifier is warm. Hmm....

 

Mainly b/c I like the sound of zero-feedback Class A amps and conversely, prefer a warmer sound to neutral.   I used to own a Parasound Sterephile-approved yadda yadda solid state amp that was beautifully neutral and absolutely horrible to listen to with some older recordings (eg, Toscanini and the NBC Orchestra).   I am quite sensitive to higher frequencies and anything even remotely approaching "bright" makes me cringe.

 

So I figure the SA-31SE gives me the oomph and the fast response when i want that sound palette (but doesnt stray too far into sterile-neutral-bright territory), and the SET amp [to be confirmed] for when i want to immerse myself in musical goodness. 

 

Re DACs - well, to be honest, I dont really believe in the benefit they provide for regular audio systems.  I auditioned a fair number of DACs back in my audioweenie days, and couldnt really swear that I heard a difference.    For headphones, I think they will matter (compared to the pitiful conversion section of a phone or iDevice), but I am not sold that there are going to be audible differences, to be honest:  pretty much every DAC has pancake flat FR from 20-20k Hz anyway, and marginal differences in gain affect perception too much to provide a reliable difference.

 

I plan to get a DAC that matches the Audio-GD chassis to have a tidy chassis.   B/c somewhere in me there IS a former audioweenie, I'll probably buy one with all the impressive-sounding chipsets, etc. but this isnt a purchase I am obsessing about as much as the amp  :)

 

Btw, i appreciate your - and everyone else's - help in answering my many questions.    Cyber-beers for all, on my tab!

post #53 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
 

 

Mainly b/c I like the sound of zero-feedback Class A amps and conversely, prefer a warmer sound to neutral.   I used to own a Parasound Sterephile-approved yadda yadda solid state amp that was beautifully neutral and absolutely horrible to listen to with some older recordings (eg, Toscanini and the NBC Orchestra).   I am quite sensitive to higher frequencies and anything even remotely approaching "bright" makes me cringe.

 

So I figure the SA-31SE gives me the oomph and the fast response when i want that sound palette (but doesnt stray too far into sterile-neutral-bright territory), and the SET amp [to be confirmed] for when i want to immerse myself in musical goodness. 

 

Re DACs - well, to be honest, I dont really believe in the benefit they provide for regular audio systems.  I auditioned a fair number of DACs back in my audioweenie days, and couldnt really swear that I heard a difference.    For headphones, I think they will matter (compared to the pitiful conversion section of a phone or iDevice), but I am not sold that there are going to be audible differences, to be honest:  pretty much every DAC has pancake flat FR from 20-20k Hz anyway, and marginal differences in gain affect perception too much to provide a reliable difference.

 

I plan to get a DAC that matches the Audio-GD chassis to have a tidy chassis.   B/c somewhere in me there IS a former audioweenie, I'll probably buy one with all the impressive-sounding chipsets, etc. but this isnt a purchase I am obsessing about as much as the amp  :)

 

Btw, i appreciate your - and everyone else's - help in answering my many questions.    Cyber-beers for all, on my tab!

 

I see, there are differences, not as big, but it brings the out the soundstage and improves bass, makes you feel like your listening to the musician at the front row. At least that's what the Schiit Bifrost did. It's complicated though, because DACs, at least the DAC's I've tried seem to try to bring the music closer. Like its trying to mimic being in a concert. It also cleans up the sound. If you don't believe me use a Fiio D3 ($20 dollar DAC) and a Bifrost. Yes I know it's like a $300-$400 price difference, but it really IMO made a bigger improvement than the M^3 did for my LCD-2. Hence why I sold the M^3 :D and the bifrost


Edited by vampire5003 - 9/10/13 at 10:02am
post #54 of 56
Thread Starter 

I just got ordered a couple of cheap (HiFimeDIY) DACs, just to play around with.   And I'm gonna pick up an Audio GD DAC as well, so at some point, I am going to try to do a comparison.   I agree that there is likely to be a difference - small, self-powered units vs units with a beefier power supply and presumably better circuitry.      What I am a little dubious about it is the audio difference between various DACs in the same price range.

post #55 of 56

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
 

 

  I am quite sensitive to higher frequencies and anything even remotely approaching "bright" makes me cringe.

.

Then you made a great choice with the SA-31. I found it almost too dark until my ear become acclimated with it.

post #56 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless1 View Post
 

Then you made a great choice with the SA-31. I found it almost too dark until my ear become acclimated with it.

 

Audio-GD is fantastic. My LCD-2 sound like they're running off a Beta22. No joke. 10ES2 FTW! 

:atsmile:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Good solid state amp for $500-700